Question No signal and sometimes horrible graphical glitches on startup, help!

Zyperspace

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
Where do I start with this? I don't even know if it's the motherboard or graphics card at fault here... From the beginning, I suppose:

Upgraded to AMD 3700x, with a MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard, with a 1-year-old 1060 6GB ROG STRIX already in my rig. The first week went smoothly, not too many roadblocks.
Then soon after I noticed whenever I started up the PC the signal to my monitor would vanish after seeing the Windows logo on boot.
It always booted fine with no issues when I force restarted it with the case button though, which I found quite odd.

Last week I found out I could go into the BIOS at first boot and then exit the BIOS, and it would boot correctly. But I tend to leave my PC to perform other tasks in my house when I fire it up, so naturally I started seeing much worse things than a simple "No Signal" on my monitor... Flashing screens, artifacts and colourful arrays of graphical glitches have a rare occurrence of showing up instead of no display at all. Which lead me to believe my graphics card was the issue. I tried changing the boot priority, checked all possible cables and drivers, but all to no avail.

I even reinstalled Windows in its entirety, which fixed a bunch of other issues, but not the one I speak of at the moment.

I've also updated to the newest BIOS drivers just to be sure, still the same results. And if I do let it start up "incorrectly" and force it to restart properly, there's also a chance that it will detect no graphics card at all, disabling the drivers temporarily. But after a couple of minutes the screen will turn black and return with no issues whatsoever, the graphics card showing no signs of any disruption.

I'm at a loss for words. I've asked many of my friends, none of them really knowing much more about computer components than me, so naturally we didn't get very far...
Hopefully someone out there can assist me in fixing this mess. But it doesn't feel like the end of the world if it is un-fixable, considering my performance in games and video editing isn't hampered at all.

Edit: Oh and it also crashes when it wakes up from Sleep Mode...

Last edited: