Question No Signal to monitor after turning on PC, and USB ports aren't working either ?

Mar 10, 2023
Hi all!

So I’m a bit new to PC building but slowly I’ve been teaching myself/learning over the past couple of years because of all the issues I’ve had with mine.

A somewhat friend built mine and honestly I’m pretty sure despite paying him what he requested (which was enough for labor and semi-quality parts) he really short-changed me on quality overall.

Since I first received the PC (which was in 2020) I’ve had issues where the PC would turn on, but the monitor would say “No Signal.” It detects that it’s plugged in but doesn’t connect. The same happens with all my USB ports on the back. If I plug in a keyboard or mouse the k/b backlight will flash once and then the keyboard/mouse doesn’t work.

The first time it happened was literally the day he brought the system over. I kept trying to ask how he fixed it but he doesn’t remember.

At one point I was having different display issues but they were specifically graphics card related. I replaced it and had the previous display issues temporarily. And I don’t remember what I did to fix it lol.

Quite literally two days ago I had to replace my motherboard due to overcurrent on the USB ports that wouldn’t even allow my computer to fully boot.

But after replacing motherboard I’m having the same issues.

Things I’ve tried:

• Reseating and checking the RAM
  • Reseating and checking the graphics card
  • Making sure everything is secure and plugged in, no loose or not plugged in wires
  • Making sure all parts are comparable on PCPartPicker
  • Making sure CPU is properly in place and aligned with the arrow in the corner
  • Trying both the motherboard and graphics card HDMI ports
  • Trying different HDMI cords, a VGA cord, and a different monitor
  • Removing the CMOS for 1-5 minutes and then replacing

I’ve seen some posts saying this could be a PSU failing. If it is so be it, but man with all that I’ve had to go through trying to get this to work I’m tired. All advice is greatly appreciated !!

Specs:
-CPU: AMD Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz
-MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 (Previously B450M Bazooka)
-GPU: MSI GT1030 2GD4 LP OC DDR4 2GB
-PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 230V 500W 80+
-RAM: Two G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16 GB (two 8 GB) DDR4 4600 CL19

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Try removing the GPU and using integrated graphics for awhile.

Determine if anything changes.

Also:

"Quite literally two days ago I had to replace my motherboard due to overcurrent on the USB ports that wouldn’t even allow my computer to fully boot. "

How was that "overcurrent" determined?

Mar 10, 2023
Try removing the GPU and using integrated graphics for awhile.

Determine if anything changes.

Also:

"Quite literally two days ago I had to replace my motherboard due to overcurrent on the USB ports that wouldn’t even allow my computer to fully boot. "

How was that "overcurrent" determined?

Still no display when using integrated graphics with GPU removed.

As for the over current, when turning on the PC a message would immediately state on the screen saying an overcurrent occurred with the USB ports, and that the system would shut off in 15 seconds to protect the board. And it did shut off every time. I tried looking for a solution but nothing worked, and many people suggested replacing the board.

Ralston18

Titan
Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to doublecheck that all connections are correct and fully in place.

The originally posted PSU (Thermaltake Smart RGB 230V 500W 80+) was non-modular. Correct?

What brand new PSU did you purchase? Modular? Did you use only the cables that came with the brand new PSU?

= = = =

What about the house wiring? Any known electrical problems? Any chance that the devices being used are creating a ground loop?

FYI:

https://community.element14.com/tec.../blog/posts/secrets-of-ground-loops-explained

You can easily google for similar expanations and diagrams.

Immediate premise being that the problems are power related.

Still there is this:

"A somewhat friend built mine and honestly I’m pretty sure despite paying him what he requested (which was enough for labor and semi-quality parts) he really short-changed me on quality overall."

May be some intermittent problem and what ever was done "seemed" to fix the problem.

But not really....

Mar 10, 2023
Old and new are non-modular, new one is Thermaltake Smart Series 500W SLI/CrossFire Ready Continuous Power ATX 12V V2.3 / EPS 12V 80 from Newegg. Used only the cables that came with the new one.

No known electrical problems. I live in an apartment and my partner also has a PC, but we’ve been here for a while and have never had an issue when using the gaming at the same time.

My only last assumption is that something happened to the GPU when I was replacing parts or I just happened to receive a bad one, since the issues I’m having now are kinda similar to GPU issues I was having before.

Gonna try to swap for another GPU but after that I’m out of ideas lol. I appreciate everyone’s help so far