Question No signal to monitor... Have checked everything. Faulty PSU?

Dec 27, 2020
Hello everyone!

Big fan and long-time lurker. I've been building computers for friends and myself on and off for 16 years and have been extremely successful.

Currently I'm building a system for a friend's teenage son. He's invested in the following:

Ryzen 3700x
Gtx 1080
ROG Strix b450 F Gaming Mobo
Corsair 220T RGB Case
Kingston Hyper x Ram 2x 8gb
A 27 inch aoc 240 Hz monitor (I didn't recommend but his dad bought it for him lol)
A Corsair RM650 80 plus gold fully modular psu.

I installed everything to the letter of the law. Fired it up. Lights all turned on. But cpu fan, GPU fan and PSU fan weren't spinning. Poop. So I unplug everything and go with just the CPU. CPU power connected and 24 pin connector. Fire up pc. Turns on. Mobo lights up. No signal. Tried with a DP and HDMI both known to work on 2 different monitors both previously known to work. PSU fan still not spinning.

I pulled the battery on the mobo and I also held the power button down and did all the little tricks I could think of. I made sure cpu pins weren't bent; they're not.

At this point I'm pretty sure that the PSU is DOA or the Mobo. But I'm thinking PSU. What is your guys' opinion? I don't have a second PSU to test with but we are going to exchange it tomorrow and test it and see what happens. I did figure I'd throw this at the Tom's community for some answers this evening and overnight since you guys ar le extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Hoping to get some good feedback.

It's also entirely possible that I've made a catastrophic error somewhere but I don't think so. If I did and you guys point it out that would be awesome too. Thanks again and happy holidays!

Imgur album of system

Hi AngerProblems.

The first thing you do when you buy a CPU is check if the motherboard support the CPU. Let's check :)

Ryzen 7 3700X (3.6GHz,65W,L3:32M,8C,B0)ALL2301

The CPU is supported BUT you need BIOS version 2301 on that board for the CPU to work.

There is no way to tell if the motherboard was built after the release of the CPU where new manufactured motherboard would already have the BIOS version needed for that CPU to work.

Unless you have a "Ryzen 3000 ready" sticker on the motherboard box you need that BIOS update.
These are the choices you have since the motherboard does not have a BIOS flash function where you can flash the BIOS without a CPU.

Dec 27, 2020
Hi AngerProblems.

The first thing you do when you buy a CPU is check if the motherboard support the CPU. Let's check :)

The CPU is supported BUT you need BIOS version 2301 on that board for the CPU to work.

There is no way to tell if the motherboard was built after the release of the CPU where new manufactured motherboard would already have the BIOS version needed for that CPU to work.

Unless you have a "Ryzen 3000 ready" sticker on the motherboard box you need that BIOS update.
Hi AngerProblems.

These are the choices you have since the motherboard does not have a BIOS flash function where you can flash the BIOS without a CPU.

Hey thanks for the response!! That's a very good point and I just want to state that I did in fact check that and the box does in fact have that sticker on it. I made doubly sure. Does removing the battery and resetting it ruin that? I don't think so without flashing it right?

Anyways. Just figured I'd let you know.