Question No signal to monitor; the problem seemed to begin while the desktop was in sleep mode. Did something happen? Did a component fail?

Apr 29, 2022
I usually try troubleshooting issues it's just...wow, this is infinitely out of my depth as I'm used to fixing laptops. So, I have a hand me down desktop that's pretty much a dream PC for my standards and, yeah...just last night I put it to sleep, then this morning when I tried waking it up, there was no signal. Panicked I restarted, unplugged the HD cord, etc. Nothing.

Is it possible something shorted out? Is there any method I can use to check what maybe went wrong?

I tried a TV (it's what I have on hand) and hooked it up to the back, hdml cord, and...nothing. I tried all the input settings on it and the original monitor. I've yet to try the VGA output as I'd have to find a proper cord. It's an ibuypower computer with windows 10. I don't have the exact specs because I (stupidly) kept most of the information about it on it but I can probably dig it up, will just take a while.

There is a small chance maybe I clicked on some sort of setting on my wireless keyboard, after all I actually dropped it in a very rough way before sleeping last night, but I doubt it. I already messed with it and I think the computer was still on when it happened. I don't remember if the keyboard hit the desktop on its way down. There was a signal on the screen when that happened anyway so I doubt it's related.

I do in fact have other desktops around...technically they're my brother's but they're no longer in use. There is a small chance I can maybe get components out of them. It's just I have 0 confidence or skill in terms of desktops so I want to completely exhaust my options before attempting to tweak around.

Note: if it isn't obvious I mean that no matter what I do, no signal seems to be being sent from the computer. I noted the sleep thing because I found it extremely strange the problem started after I tried waking it up.
Another thing that disturbs me a bit is that I think there's a light next to the power button that shows when the hard/disk drive is being written to or not. I don't believe it's lit up since the incident occured but it isn't like I look at it that often so I don't know if that's normal.

Anyway...thank you for any suggestions you have for me. I'm shocked over it all because I've been a massive laptop user for many years and I finally got an amazing computer, was able to play games on it in beautiful quality, etc., and I really was expecting it to be grittier and more long lived than this. o_O

Apr 29, 2022
Back! I looked up the PC info. So, ok, here it is:
Intel Core i7-9700F - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER - 1TB HDD + 480GB Solid State Drive

I decided to edit findings I note in this post. Don't really have much at the moment.

It stands to mention that I played probably the most intensive game I have a few days ago. It really shouldn't have been that graphically heavy though.

I have ordered a display port to hdml plug (I don't have a display port plug plus my monitor is hdmi only to test another input.

I have checked inside while it's running and seems like all the fans are still going.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022
This might be oddly specific, but I'm noticing there's a light on the GPU (next to where the power source cord is) that blinks on and off when I turn on the computer. I am a bit suspicious of it and I looked it up and apparently there is a chance that this indicates an abnormal power supply. I'm not sure if anyone will have advice for anything else, though let me ask: is it possible that a PSU can partially fail or degrade? I'm trying to narrow down the list of culprits.

I am not sure if I'll be able to get access to another GPU to test.