No sound after clean xp install. (realtek AC97)

sundogdayze

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Hey guys,

I just did a clean install of xp pro on a new HD. I installed the drivers for the mobo, and did all the updates for xp, and I am on sp3. Everything is working fine, except I have no sound.

The computer thinks it's making sounds, the device manager shows all devices working properly, Realtek AC97 shows everything running correctly, but I get nothing.

I have tried speakers and headset on front and back panels, and I can hear dead air. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Realtek drivers several times. Anyone have any ideas?

What video card do you have? If it is something like a 3850 or 3870, it may have taken over your default sound. Check in Control Panel and make sure your onboard sound is the default device.

arunmohancr

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
i have had a similar problem before.try reinstalling the audio drivers . and if you use WMP 9 then reinstall that too from the installation disk. Realtek AC97 audio drivers sometimes get corrupt after you install the graphic card drivers.

sundogdayze

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Yep, the audio is enabled in bios. Thanks!

My video card is a evga 7900gt. I have had this video card and mobo configured together before with no problems with sound though.

I have reinstalled the audio drivers, and my WMP has been reinstalled and updated already. Should I roll back? I wasn't aware that WMP could control on board audio?

Thanks for the responses!