[SOLVED] No Sound

Jul 15, 2019
Hi,
I have a Skylake 6700 build with an MSI 170 motherboard. Last week, the sound suddenly just went dead, except a continuous buzzing - was using speakers with the front headphone jack. I reinstalled the driver several times, then hooked other speakers to the back ports -nothing, except the buzzing just sounded much better. Bought a separate PCIe sound blaster card - still nothing. The diagnostic just doesn't find anything, also did not find anything wrong inside the case.
Any suggestions, or should I just try a new motherboard?

Thanks!

Solution
D
ok, sounds like a mobo issue then--i would wait for other experts to comment though.

hey, did you try disabling the onboard audio so the sound card might work? it's just too whacky that the sound card doesn't work bro
D

Deleted member 14196

i would try and go back to a restore point where it was working. it is really strange how the pcie sound card doesn't work... hmmmm

also do a Clean install before buying a new mb, just to test, but be sure to back up all your data first and verify that it is all good and safe.

Jul 15, 2019
Well, forgot to mention that I also have no sound when I boot in Ubuntu 18, with similar symptoms. Reminds me I forgot to boot in Linux to try the PCI card, will try when I get home, but have little hope. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 14196

ok, sounds like a mobo issue then--i would wait for other experts to comment though.

hey, did you try disabling the onboard audio so the sound card might work? it's just too whacky that the sound card doesn't work bro

Solution