No Super Street Fighter IV PC Thanks to Piracy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soundping

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]number13[/nom]they have a lousy game and trying to cover up bad sales, if I was a 10 year old this might have interested me[/citation]
Bingo!

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Street Fighter IV? I didn't even care enough to pirate I, II, or III. Let me guess it's another mash your keyboard game and hope you get some ridiculous combo? I'll pass. Maybe I'll play if Capcom pays me instead of the other way around.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... do it like unreal tournament 3... let all pirate it... let them go play the single player mode... let them get the taste of it... but... when you wanna get online, demand a key... and you wanna a key... because the real leaderboard is on the official server...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]i wonder what other games wasn't released (or got a squeal) on PC due to piracy concerns. way to go pirates, was it worth it?[/citation]

Yeah street fighter sucks always has.

And i never knew anyone with a dreamcast i didnt even know anyone cared. So when it died o well...

But no piracy is not causing pc game sales to go down, If it was console game sales would go down just as fast. Everyone i know that has a console has been pirating games for it since hell ps1 days.. I blame crappy games made by crappy developers that dont want to take the time anymore to make something worth playing for more then a couple hours... If thats all they want to put into it im sure they would sell alot more copys if hte price were in the 5 hour of play area say about $20. The econemy doesnt help but people find a way to get money to entertain them selves.

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"Street Fighter IV for PC is available on Steam for $29.99" That's the problem. If it would be available for $9.99 I'd be happy to pay for it and so would millions of other "pirates". Capcom should realize they cannot use same pricing model as in consoles in these days. Rich dads can afford that $60 for their console kids but students and whatnots who play with PCs can't.

Are they? I didn't know that but what I do know is that Sony paid for shelf space which whilst it did not have to be occupied by PS1's was not allowed to be used for the Sega Saturn, I was told this by several members of store staff in different stores when I was trying to buy one back in 1995.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Wasn't street fighter iv the most expensive game of the year at the time?
That's why it gets pirated.
It gets pirated on the PC because it is easier. Now it's only like $15 (bargain bin) and I just bought it for the xbox 360.

Also why the hell would I want street fighter for the PC when I have a proper controller (mouse keyboard) for my PC, and the console controllers are basically only good for platformers and beat-em-ups. The only reason you would buy a beat em up is to annoy the crap out of your friends by beating them because you have more practice than them :)

spigias

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]No PC port? Then you leave me no choice but to pirate the game and use an emulator.[/citation]

Yes i agree but MAME and other emulators lack performance you are gonna need a monster pc to emulate the game.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
...good riddance.

Tired of developers whining about Piracy. MW2 was the most pirated game of the year if I'm not mistaken, and still Activision made millions and million from it. When you have an unlimited PC customer base, bitching about piracy, is plan stupid or intentional in order to change the public opinion.

And if they really want to stop piracy, they can just build a server system for online gaming with authentication and achievements, pretty much like Battle.net - problem solved.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]This is such a bullshit reason.A) The majority of people who pirate games would not have purchased them in the first place, so they do not lose any more than a few percent of saleB) Piracy on consoles is a HUGE problem, which everybody keeps sweeping under the rug and pretending it's not an issue.I swear game makers realize that the PC gaming market is shrinking, while almost everybody owns a console, and is too cheap to have the game ported from the console version to the PC. This is just their excuse to do so.[/citation]

While I agree on the first part (that idiots look at "times downloaded" and multiply it by a price) I don't with the latter. There are about 40 million PS3s and about 40 million Xbox360s in the wild. I'd bet there are still way more PC gamers.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Maby its not as costeffective to make real graphics ect to pc standards, rather its easier money to grab from the consoles wich demands alot less since their consoles cant handle it anyway. Easier to blame the piracy rather than admiting themselves lazy and greedy!

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Let's be honest here. Capcom is guilty of over selling the SF series. It's the same game just with a few new characters and if I am not mistaken all the "new" ones pre-existed before SF IV. They want people to go out and re-buy the game when this could easily be optional DLC.
Just how many PC gamers do you honestly expect to go out and re-buy the game, have to reinstall it and likely lose all saved data to top it off?

Sorry Capcom I learned my lesson as a kid when I looked down at my collection of SNES games and realized I have 4 versions of SF II and obliviously you knew that PC gamers simply would not fall for that shit. Instead of being honest you played the piracy card. When given a rational method to counter the piracy you simply shrugged showing you never had the intent in the first place.

However Ono said that would be unfair to PC gamers who don't have access to those digital outlets or means to purchase content online.

This makes no damn sense even more so from a business perspective. It's a poor and illogical excuse. Just because they couldn't deliver it to a minority that does not have access to such services they choose not to give the product to anyone (well on the PC anyways more on that later)
So they would rather not make a profit or deliver a product that people would enjoy because some could not get it... That is what he is saying.

Even worse is that I can give two examples of them doing just this in the first place. Wouldn't the same logic apply to consoles then? Because now us PC gamers are unable to get it wouldn't his logic then go unto not releasing it on the consoles as well? With the logic of "some people cannot get it so no one should"

Then there is the case of the Resident Evil series. Some of the older games were banned in Germany. Did Capcom go and not release the game to others simply because the Germans couldn't play it? Of course not. So how is this a relevant excuse for Super SF IV?

Why not just tell the truth Capcom and say it would not appeal to the majority of PC gamers even more so to those who already own SF IV.

Also I admit I own SF IV for the PC and I liked the game. It was a good fighting game and I loved to play it online. Except it ruined my GFWL account as way to many sore losers play the game. I had about a 90% winning average and ended up being blocked by literally 80% of people who played me because they never wished to be matched up with me again due to the skill level difference. So why would I buy Super SF IV if it ever did go to the PC despite it not being worth full price in the first place?

mutantmagnet

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom] NOBODY has proof that if someone is unable to pirate something, they will buy it... what retarded logic[/citation]

Actually there is proof with the DS. Before the prevalence of the R whatever chip things were peachy for Nintendo and 3rd party devs. After the DS got hacked countries like Spain and China with low consideration for the value in copy right protections have become no mans land for software.

Most pirates won't pay for a product but those who have the capacity and willingness to pay as long as the cheaper hacked version is very easy to get won't pay.

This is Capcom's thinking. The sales were strong but they are confident they could've been stronger and make the investment in QA worthwhile.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]On the other hand, you can't prove the opposite either. So you can't say there ISN'T a correlation. And yes, there is. I can't prove there's a huge one, no, but my friend often pirates games, but recently he kept getting bad torrents and cracks that didn't work on a game, so... Guess what! He bought the real version. [/citation]

Correlation does not imply causation. That's the first thing anyone with a scientific background (or anyone, anywhere) should learn.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
However Ono said that would be unfair to PC gamers who don't have access to those digital outlets or means to purchase content online.

If a PC gamer doesn't have access to digital outlets, aka. an internet connection, than they don't deserve to get the game. Its as simple as that. Keep your physical disc costs for the consoles and go exclusively digital with the PC. If it works out well on the PC, move to exclusively digital on Xbox Live, PSN, Wii store, etc.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
If piracy is such a problem, there needs to be some sort of code created that trumps up the truly legit upside to it. Make it so that when a game is pirated, it'll run for seven days. After that, the code self destructs to where not even reinstalling another pirated copy or inputting a serial number can recover it.

Better yet, even, stick the "pirating" option in the game installer itself. In addition to 'install,' 'repair,' and 'remove,' add 'rent' and 'copy rental version' to the list. Copying the rental version would do simply that. It would give you the ability to send the seven day rental version to a friend to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS