Question No upload on 2.4Ghz but OK on 5Ghz

Jul 22, 2024
We have a Microsoft surface tablet that has been having problems with Wi-Fi upload speeds making it unusable. Speed tests show the following:-

5Ghz - 70mb download, 14mb upload
2.4Ghz - 50mb download, 0.03mb upload

It needs to use the 2.4Ghz network as it is generally used a long way from the access point.

Following lots of "googling", we have reset the wireless adapter, updated and rolled back drivers, switched off IPv6 and re-installed Windows 10 with no luck.

We can't be sure if it coincided with changing our router to a Draytek Vigor2763 but no other device in the house has the same problem. Access point is TP-link EAP610.

Any suggestions?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Have you ever changed the # of allocated addresses on the modem?

I had an issue some time back where I had limited access to 10 addresses (clients) on the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. I played heck figuring out what I had done to myself.

kanewolf

Titan
We have a Microsoft surface tablet that has been having problems with Wi-Fi upload speeds making it unusable. Speed tests show the following:-

5Ghz - 70mb download, 14mb upload
2.4Ghz - 50mb download, 0.03mb upload

It needs to use the 2.4Ghz network as it is generally used a long way from the access point.

Following lots of "googling", we have reset the wireless adapter, updated and rolled back drivers, switched off IPv6 and re-installed Windows 10 with no luck.

We can't be sure if it coincided with changing our router to a Draytek Vigor2763 but no other device in the house has the same problem. Access point is TP-link EAP610.

Any suggestions?
The problem is that the surface tablet has less transmit power than the WIFI router. So the amount of failures is noticeable on upload. Traffic to acknowledge downloads is much less so the retrys are not as impactful. You just need to be closer to a WIFI source, IMO.

Jul 22, 2024
Have you ever changed the # of allocated addresses on the modem?

I had an issue some time back where I had limited access to 10 addresses (clients) on the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. I played heck figuring out what I had done to myself.
Thanks for your reply punkncat. I can't see any limits set either on the modem/router or access point.

It's just very odd, I can't think what would throttle the upload down to less than 0.1mb

Jul 22, 2024
The problem is that the surface tablet has less transmit power than the WIFI router. So the amount of failures is noticeable on upload. Traffic to acknowledge downloads is much less so the retrys are not as impactful. You just need to be closer to a WIFI source, IMO.
Thanks for the reply kanewolf. We've moved within a few feet of the access point and the problem remains but maybe you're onto something with the transmit power. If the surface uses different antenna for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, maybe there is a hardware fault on the 2.4Ghz side where its not transmitting properly.