Terrie

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2005
I am frustrated with my computer today. Over the holidays my daughter installed bearshare on my computer to listem to a song. I noticed it yesterday when my computer was acting strange. I immediatly deleted it. However it was worse after delete. I deceded to format and reinstall my os. If there was a bad bug it would be gone also.
My problems began here upon entering the bios to set it to read the cd fist. I found that i could not save my choice. When I hit f10 it jus beeped at me. So I sat it and went back to the first and hit save changes. It worked and I was able to get the 7 disks to load. When the 7th finished loading a message came up telling me "There was no user partition." So I am thinking ok it did not read a disk. I tried to reinstall it. But I am stuck at the installtion screen. With this message returning. Please help. If I need to trash it OK. If I can fix it better. If it is best left to a professional just tell me.

Thanks

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Let me know if you can get your hands on a W98 boot diskette from an acquaintance. If you can, delete drivespace or doublespace from it and add a utility file called debug.exe. This would be found in a 98 machine in the C:\Windows\Command folder. Do a copy and paste thing.

I will put you through a simple debug routine to zero out the boot partition.

How old are the XP diskettes? Unfortunately, floppies have a short shelf life. Some as little as two years. One of them may have gone bad.

You can get by with a boot order of floppy, cd drive, hd. The optimal is cd, floppy, hd.

Can you borrow someones' XP cd (has to be the same "flavor" as yours; Home, Pro)? If so you can use that, and just input your key when asked.

G

It sounds like you have an HP PC. If so, you need to go into the Advanced options of the Recovery CD and select a Destructive Restore.

Grumpy

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
The Grump man is right. That is a viable, less complicated solution.

I posited my response, because, many times at Bearshare one can pick up a boot sector virus, which she is presenting symptons for.

Terrie, if it is an HP, go with the Destructive Restore first and let us know how it worked out.