amkanba

Distinguished
May 10, 2014
I used to own a 680W power supply that became faulty, my PC would shut down after a couple of minutes and only restart after I pulled the plug for a while. I tried opening the thing and got the capacitors fixed and tried to bypass the fans to directly start with a live connection. My computer started up, but there was no video signal. I guess it was time to get a new one so I had to make do with a used 550W PSU from Antec. It worked fine at the shop, even tried running a render just to make sure.
But now back at home I'm not getting any video signal again (GPU gets really hot though). Although removing the graphics card does make my computer work perfectly.

Possible reasons for the issue:
-I'm using a VGA cable; some forums state that using anything other than HDMI (esp VGA) does not go well with Win10 (they used HDMI to VGA converter at the shop and I'm using a DVI to VGA converter)
-My PSU uses a 6 to 8-pin power connector for my GPU (That might not be able to effectively power it)
-My PSU isn't strong enough (It worked at the shop and although it is a bit weak I intend not to make use of my graphics card until I get my new one delivered (AMD RX 480))

My Specs:
i7-3770K (Stock clocks)
2x4GB G-Skill Ripjaws-X DDR3 @ 1600MHz
MSI R9 280 OC Edition 3GB
Antec 550W PSU
64GB Sandisk SSD
1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD @ 7200RPM

Antec 550W PSU

What Antec 550W PSU?

-I'm using a VGA cable; some forums state that using anything other than HDMI (esp VGA) does not go well with Win10 (they used HDMI to VGA converter at the shop and I'm using a DVI to VGA converter)

Never heard of this being an issue. Besides, it worked before like this, right?

My PSU uses a 6 to 8-pin power connector for my GPU (That might not be able to effectively power it)

Adapters are always a bad idea. Don't recall an Antec PSU that didn't have a 6+2 PCIe power connector, unless this PSU is SO OLD that it pre-dates the 8-pin PCIe (circa 2007, I think?)

Again: Which Antec 550W PSU?

-My PSU isn't strong enough (It worked at the shop and although it is a bit weak I intend not to make use of my graphics card until I get my new one delivered (AMD RX 480))

Of course, you may just have a dead graphics card. It didn't work with your "680W" and it's doing the same thing with the "Antec 550W PSU"... I would tend to think it's not a PSU issue.

amkanba

Distinguished
May 10, 2014
What Antec 550W PSU?

Never heard of this being an issue. Besides, it worked before like this, right?

Adapters are always a bad idea. Don't recall an Antec PSU that didn't have a 6+2 PCIe power connector, unless this PSU is SO OLD that it pre-dates the 8-pin PCIe (circa 2007, I think?)

Of course, you may just have a dead graphics card. It didn't work with your "680W" and it's doing the same thing with the "Antec 550W PSU"... I would tend to think it's not a PSU issue.

The PSU is a TP3-550

amkanba

Distinguished
May 10, 2014
stick with 1 thread. don't spam the forum
My computer would randomly shut-off at times so I got the PSU replaced and bought a new GPU and display along with it.
My computer runs fine on the iGPU now. But my old GPU gives no video output. I plugged in the new GPU and it displays the BIOS screen but the screen goes black before the windows user login shows up. I've uninstalled the old GPU's drivers and disabled all display adapters. I've tried different monitors and PSUs.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Specs:
Core i7 3770k @ stock
Asrock Z75 Pro3
Gskill ripjaws X 2x4 GB DDR3@1600mhz
Sanddisk 60Gb SSD
Seagate 1Tb HDD

Old GPU: R9 280 MSI OC edition
New GPU: RX 480 Sapphire nitro

Last edited:
Kindly provide PC specs.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

amkanba

Distinguished
May 10, 2014
My computer would randomly shut-off at times so I got the PSU replaced and bought a new GPU and display along with it.
My computer runs fine on the iGPU now. But my old GPU gives no video output. I plugged in the new GPU and it displays the BIOS screen but the screen goes black before the windows user login shows up. I've uninstalled the old GPU's drivers and disabled all display adapters.
I have also tried different monitors and PSUs.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Specs:
Core i7 3770k @ Stock clocks
Asrock Z75 Pro3
Gskill Ripjaws X 2x4 GB DDR3@1600mhz
SanDisk 60Gb SSD
Seagate 1Tb HDD @ 7200RPM

Old GPU: R9 280 MSI OC edition
New GPU: RX 480 Sapphire nitro

Update: The new GPU also does not give any video output anymore.

TRENDING THREADS