No Video Signal

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Hey everyone! Today I decided to take my HP m8530f apart today and get the cakes of dust out of it. I put eveything back together and turned it on. I see all my fans running, I feel the hard drive spinning, and I have a no input signal from the HDMI or VGA, I've tried them both. I have a 9300 vid card and a 8400 or 8600 built into the motherboard. Can anyone help me with this problem, I have no idea where to start? I was reading other posts, I have a DMM, but I don't know where I am supposed to get voltage specs and diagrams/connector views. Please help me

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
So I've hooked my laptop up to my monitor with the VGA cable and ruled those two out, the fact that my desktop shows the same no input signal with both cards leads me to believe it is either the motherboard or the power supply. I need help at this point. I'm out of ideas.

Ah! OK, in this thread I think I understand the problem. You disassembled your PC and now it doesn't work.

Remove the vid card, plug the onboard graphics into the monitor, set the monitor to vga input, and boot up. Do you see a boot screen?

Some candidates are you missed a power connection, or your psu is crapping out, or your memory isn't seated. Check all the parts as if you were assembling the PC.

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
It all started today when I decided to disassemble and clean it. I reassembled everything correctly, its hard not to, then booted it up only to get a window saying no input signal, the recommended screen size, and then the monitor goes to sleep. I had it hooked up with the HDMI cable from the same monitor w2207h to the 9300 nvidia card slotted onto my motherboard. This is the setup I always use. After a few restarts I decided to try using the built in card on the motherboard that uses a VGA connection which my same monitor also supports (I bought this whole setup as a package) . So I disconnected the 9300 nvidia card from the motherboard and hooked up my monitor via the VGA cable and motherboard card, same message. no input signal, recommended size, and monitor went night night after two seconds. I know this setup works because I've done it before with this exact system the last time my nvidia card went bad and I had to get a replacement through HP(back when it was under warranty). I can't see anything to be able to mess with the bios. I get that message I stated before, then a black screen. I tried to blindly change the settings for bios the way posted on HP support, but to no avail. I spent about an hour on the phone with a buddy of mine who coached me through a little diag which consisted of disconnecting everything, even ram sticks and the hard drive. There is still nothing on screen. No post, no count, nothing saying "hey there isn't a hard drive", nothing, just the no signal input window, followed by the monitor going to sleep window. I've got my DMM here and measured volts DC coming from the red wires from the power supply to the motherboard. Every one is at 5.07vDC and the only things hooked up during this are the motherboard, power supply, VGA cable(which connects to the motherboards internal video card that supports an 8600 or 8400, and the fans) My on/off switch connects to the power supply through the motherboard so I am probing the back of the connector with it still connected. And thats as far as I've got.

The monitor is a w2207h(sorry for the typo in the other thread) the buttons don't work (exept the power) during the short window of opportunity I get before it goes to sleep. And I think I stated in the above paragraph that I removed the graphics card and used the VGA cable to mother board set up and still no dice I've reseated the memory sticks a few times and tried, I've rechecked every connection over and over and plus all the diag I've stated in the above paragraph. Still nothing.

Well, I'm forced to consider 3 possibilities:

1) You are the world's unluckiest person, and a part decided to die in between the time you disassembled and the time you reassembled. This is unlikely.

2) You didn't notice you broke something while you were cleaning. Possible.

3) You have reassembled it incorrectly.

Best advice I have is treat it as a new build that never worked, take it out of the case, and reassemble it outside the case. Slowwwwly. Keeping the points in this link in mind:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-261145_13_0.html

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Well, the first thought is not so unlikely considering the fact that sometimes when things are going bad, any kind of use outside the norm will give them that extra push off the cliff. Like take for instance in an automobile(something which I have more experience with) if the main fuel relay is bad/going bad, your car will continue to crank until the point comes where you fill it with more gasoline, then it will die. For some of us this takes a few days, for the others it may take weeks before we need more gas. So with this in mind:

A few months ago My father and I were building an addition above the living room. Sheetrock all over the place. We had the computer covered during this and were careful not to drop anything on the pc. Well upon removing the cover I noticed that the cover didn't do squat for the pc because it was covered in a layer of dust. Well this was the time when I cleaned it the first time, but I only unplugged everything that time and wiped it all down. When I reconnected everything that time I had the same problem but it magically fixed itself after a few restarts.

When I disassembled the pc this time most of the dust in it was sheetrock dust. Not only that, but on another forum, this guy replyed with the same problem, and it happened the same way with sheetrock dust.

Tonight I'm going to leave the little cmos battery out and try again tommorow. I also still need to check the processor in another good unit. But if thats not it it has to be my motherboard. The power supply is giving good voltage. I swear I've checked and rechecked my assembly. there is no possible way to mix up these connectors they are color coded and most of them only fit in one male/female combination or wont reach to any other connectors.

I definitely didn't break anything, there are no loose pieces of anything, nothing bent, nothing bulging, no bad smells. no horrible sounds. I may just be unlucky. I do have some pretty crummy luck, I could go on for hours. However, I did only test the red wires because those are the only ones that I know of what the voltage should be. If you have any information of the other wires that would be good(please excuse me if this is included in the link you posted Ill be checking that out now.)

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
It sounds like I need a motherboard owners manual, damn me for buying my computer from best buy. I didn't even get recovery disks with mine lols

fjc1998

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
you might have forgot to plug in the atx 12volt (its a little plug [4 plugs or 6])I forgot to do that and no video. Good Luck!

dude shemesh

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I'd like to join in on the question. I had to take the MB out of the chasis due to a broken cpu fan retention module, and with everything back in place I get no display. I checked all the power connectors, tried a different display adapter, disconnected all HDs and expansion cards - but nothing helped. What else can be wrong?

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

wold you be referring to the 4 pin (2x2) plug with two yellow wires and two black wires that comes from the power supply and plugs into the motherboard?

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

the fan retention module? Is this the surrounding black plastic around the fan/heat sink combo on the processor, or is it the piece that goes through the heatsink with the lever?

dude shemesh

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

The black plastic that surrounds the CPU and to which the fan/heat sink combo attaches to.

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
never took that off. That must be the black plastic piece surrounding where the processor plugs into. I never removed that. its screwed into the board and wasn't to much of a problem to clean. I did however take the fan/heat sink combo off and the processor that was attahed to the bottom of the heat sink. when I reconnected that I made sure the pins lined up and didn't force anything to connect.

There isn't anything surrounding the heat sink and fan. the fan screws into the top of the heat sink. the heat sink is fasrtened to the top of the processor which comes out with the whole assembly when you flip this lever on a retaining bracket that threads through the middle of the heat sink. there are two clips opposing each other and fastening this to the black plastic square that is screwed into the motherboard surrounding the spot where the processor connects.

When you removed the heatsink/fan, are you saying that the cpu was still attached to it?

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

it just came out still attached to the heatsink. I had to gently twist it back and forth to free it, the thermal compound had really stuck it on there. I cleaned all the old grey thermal residue and replaced it with the silver I had laying around. To put the processor back in I unlached the ZIF? socket and placed it back in. I looked at the pins on the processor before doing this, they were all still a uniform size and straight. The processor was easily placed back into the socket, and locked with the latch. then I went through the whole reassembly with new thermal compound.

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

seemed fine, no burns, all the holes were uniform, the latch still operated the socket properly. The processor slid right into the socket with no snags with it unlocked, then I locked it in place and proceeded with the whole thermal compound ordeal.

what else should I have checked? I can always take it apart again and have a look see :bounce:

I guess I'd want to make sure that each hole in that socket still can grab and hold the cpu pin it receives. And still connects it to the rest of the circuitry. How you do that, I dunno. It will remain a suspect until everything else is eliminated.

The other area to look at is how dust affected your psu. If your cpu and socket are ok, if there's no dust in your DIMM sockets, no dust in your video card slot, and nothing was broken . . . try to verfiy your psu still delivers. Either try it in another PC, or try another psu in this one.

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

10-4, I just sent a buddy an email yesterday asking him to let me play part swap with one of his PCs.

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
So a new mobo fixed the problem. I bought an ASUS the other day and found why people like building their own pcs instead of buying packages. Now to hunt down some OEM vista disks. :pt1cable:

ranger home

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I am in the same boat but dont think my mobo is bad. I have two brand new ones and cant get a video signal out of either one. swapped power supplies, tried different monitors, used different mobo's/procs, not using anything but on board graphics. makes no sense. i believe i have all ps hooked up. there is only one power to board execept for fans.

what the heck am i missing??

SaintKr0

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
what about ram sticks? video cables? have you tried with nothing else hooked up but the mobo, proc, and monitor, i.e. no harddrive, no ram sticks, no nothing just to see if it posts?