[SOLVED] Noctua nh-d15 + RAM, slots issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeNt1989

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Hello there.
So input data:
Asus X99-A motherboard, 5820k processor, 850 Corsair PSU, RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 - 16gb (BLS4G4D240FSA ) 4x4gb. And the crown - Noctua nh-d15.
Noctua's specifications says that i'm free to set 32mm height RAM modules in slots under the cooler. Thus I'm misssing a lot of good 4x4gb solutions...
Please, I need an advice with respect to uprade of RAM, what i shall to choose from 4x4 solutions to avoid any "ooops" due to installation of modules, or maybe it's better to look at 2x8gb solutions? - will I lose in performance if i go this way?

Thaks.

Solution
Overclocking has come a long way since the Athlon days.
Today, It consists mainly of raising the default multiplier in the bios.
Leave voltages on auto which should work well enough.
Presumably, you are looking to increase the ram size from 16gb to 32gb or more.
I see no problem. Normal ram height is less than the 32mm available.
Corsair lpx for example.
The room is actually up to 65mm and you could handle that by mounting the fan higher on the cooler.
Not that you would want to. Fancy heat spreaders are mostly marketing and only of interest to ram overclockers and those attracted to "bling"
You have 4 channel capability and I would use that.
Buy a 4 stick kit of the capacity you need.

ZeNt1989

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Presumably, you are looking to increase the ram size from 16gb to 32gb or more.
I see no problem. Normal ram height is less than the 32mm available.
Corsair lpx for example.
The room is actually up to 65mm and you could handle that by mounting the fan higher on the cooler.
Not that you would want to. Fancy heat spreaders are mostly marketing and only of interest to ram overclockers and those attracted to "bling"
You have 4 channel capability and I would use that.
Buy a 4 stick kit of the capacity you need.
Exactly, you highlighted the second question...does it make a sense to change 16gb of RAM to 16gb of RAM with better characteristics?

ZeNt1989

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Intel ram controllers are quite good at anticipating need for ram.
I think with a discrete graphics card you are unlikely to benefit from faster ram.
Here is one study of ram speed scaling:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell
Thank you very much for your opinion. Maybe I really wasted all of it.
It began when I'd realised that bought new RTX 2060 OC shows worse FPS than previous 970. Especially in Prey. Then I figured out that Prey is not the best game with respect to optimization. I enabled turbo boost option in bios and things got better. But Prey still freezing, even when fps stable 60-80. And all of this made me think about little upgrade...but now I understand that i don't have a lot of options for it.

Last edited:

ZeNt1989

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Overclocking has come a long way since the Athlon days.
Today, It consists mainly of raising the default multiplier in the bios.
Leave voltages on auto which should work well enough.
I will, thanks.
Do you know any threads here, or other forums, where i can obtain more information and "how to do" manuals about 5820k overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.