[SOLVED] Node 202 New Build (Heat Issues?)

Sep 10, 2020
Hi

I am looking to build a new system inside a Node 202 with the following components but am unsure if heat might be a concern.

i7 10700k + Cryorig C7 Low Profile
MSI MEG Z490-I UNIFY, Intel Z490 Motherboard
32GB DDR4 3600MHZ Vengeance (2 x16gb)
Corsair SF750
1 x 1tb SSD (Samsung 860 Evo)
1 x 500gb SSD (Samsung 840 Evo)
Nvidia GTX 3080 or use my old MSI GTX 1070ti

Can anyone comment on whether this is too high a spec to put inside a Node 202 or would this be ok?

I have not purchased these bits yet and just wondered if anyone else has temperature issues with the node 202.

Thought I would ask here before buying these as some people may have experiences with the Node 202 already

Many thanks for any replies.

Solution
I did not play with any 10th series yet, do not see a point in upgrading neither 8700k nor 9900 just yet. But I do have the non-K i9 9900. You cannot increase performance on it (you still can up-to the maximum boost) but you can reduce power and heat as much as you like. I undervolted it and limited the current so it does not spike above 160W. It still goes up to 4.9GHz.
4Bsxxkw.png
Hi

I am looking to build a new system inside a Node 202 with the following components but am unsure if heat might be a concern.

i7 10700k + Cryorig C7 Low Profile
MSI MEG Z490-I UNIFY, Intel Z490 Motherboard
32GB DDR4 3600MHZ Vengeance (2 x16gb)
Corsair SF750
1 x 1tb SSD (Samsung 860 Evo)
1 x 500gb SSD (Samsung 840 Evo)
Nvidia GTX 3080 or use my old MSI GTX 1070ti

Can anyone comment on whether this is too high a spec to put inside a Node 202 or would this be ok?

I have not purchased these bits yet and just wondered if anyone else has temperature issues with the node 202.

Thought I would ask here before buying these as some people may have experiences with the Node 202 already

Many thanks for any replies.
The i7-10700k is 125 watts out of the box and goes higher when pushed. The C7 cooler is only rated for 100 watts maximum. Not a good idea. Even the i5-10600k would be too much. An i5-10600 (non-k) would work.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Sep 10, 2020
The i7-10700k is 125 watts out of the box and goes higher when pushed. The C7 cooler is only rated for 100 watts maximum. Not a good idea. Even the i5-10600k would be too much. An i5-10600 (non-k) would work.

Thanks for the reply, I currently have a i7 8700k but not in the Node202 , I assume that would be too much for the node also ?

What would be the best CPU I could fit in the Node bearing in mind that its supposed to be an upgrade from an i7 8700k ?

Thanks for the reply, I currently have a i7 8700k but not in the Node202 , I assume that would be too much for the node also ?

What would be the best CPU I could fit in the Node bearing in mind that its supposed to be an upgrade from an i7 8700k ?
The 8700k is a 95 watt CPU. It's likely it would go over 100 watts during heavy gaming and exceeding the C7 coolers 100 watt limit. You certainly could never overclock it. If high performance is your goal you can forget about using that case, unless you can find a better cooler that fits in there, or you are willing to limit the CPU performance.

Last edited:
It's not just that black-and-white. CPUs can be tuned. They can be undervolted. For example (I had this up for another thread)
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review/22
9700K%20OC_575px.png

Those are all-core multipliers in the bottom part of the chart. Here's the stock/auto frequencies:
9thGenTurbos2_575px.png

So at 4.6GHz all-core (which matches stock/auto) they were able to lower power consumption by 37W or 30%.

You also don't need to run the CPU at maximum, or even stock, frequency. You can de-tune it to match whatever thermal constraints you're up against. Of course, that poses the question; why buy OP CPU if you're going to have to de-tune it anyway, but that's not a black-and-white line. As long as you're able to leverage the extra cores effectively, a higher core count "de-tuned" CPU may still outperform a lower core count one.

Sep 10, 2020
The 8700k is a 95 watt CPU. It's likely it would go over 100 watts during heavy gaming and exceeding the C7 coolers 100 watt limit. You certainly could never overclock it.

I never overclock them I usually buy the K versions because they tend to hold their value better when I decide to resell them in the future (I upgrade nearly every 2-3 years).

Seems I am having problems finding an upgrade to fit into the Node above my current setup.

So if i have this correct I can only realistically fit a CPU with a TDP of less than 100w in the Node?

I just looked at this page and filtered by TDP (65-100)
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/CPU_mega_page.html

I think upgrading your CPU every 2-3 years is pretty aggressive and unlikely to result in significant-ENOUGH performance improvement to justify the cost unless you're getting good sale price on your old gear. Of course, that obviously depends on your financial situation also. If you wipe your ..... with hundos, then it's probably not a big deal.

Sep 10, 2020
I think upgrading your CPU every 2-3 years is pretty aggressive and unlikely to result in significant-ENOUGH performance improvement to justify the cost unless you're getting good sale price on your old gear.

I was considering just getting another 8700k for this new system that im building but i cannot seem to find a decently low TDP intel chip which matches it and can be used in a SFF case.

Maybe I,ll get a Ryzen 3700X the site i linked above shows it as 65w tdp

Sep 10, 2020
I think upgrading your CPU every 2-3 years is pretty aggressive and unlikely to result in significant-ENOUGH performance improvement to justify the cost unless you're getting good sale price on your old gear. Of course, that obviously depends on your financial situation also. If you wipe your ..... with hundos, then it's probably not a big deal.

lol I wish I could wipe my .... with hundos xD

I just got some extra money that I managed to save so was looking to see if I could get an upgrade, But seems I might just get an equivalent computer for now.

Also this is a second PC for my partner as she has a junk machine atm (Celeron, 4gb DDR2, 1tb HDD) lol, So I was looking to see if I could get a better computer for myself and give her this 8700K ;)

Sep 10, 2020
If anyone can shed some light on this video ?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLmdFyxGkEU
(Muting is recommended)

It shows a comparison between 10700 and 10700K and the CPU Pwr never seems to go above 95w on the 10700K (Although it does show as being +5w higher than the 10700 on each game)

Nevermind, Some of the games pushed the 10700K up over 100w, but I did notice that the 10700 never hit 100w)

Well,
I have a Node 202 build right now. You would have to tweak settings to make it stable and quiet, but nothing is impossible. Feel free to ask specific questions.
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900 3.1 GHz 8-Core Processor ($404.96 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING IS-60 53.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.99 @ B&H)
Memory: OLOy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Turbo Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450 W Power Supply ($144.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1217.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-10 14:53 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Reactions: tennis2
Sep 10, 2020
Well,
I have a Node 202 build right now. You would have to tweak settings to make it stable and quiet, but nothing is impossible. Feel free to ask specific questions.
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900 3.1 GHz 8-Core Processor ($404.96 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING IS-60 53.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.99 @ B&H)
Memory: OLOy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Turbo Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450 W Power Supply ($144.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1217.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-10 14:53 EDT-0400

:O What kind of temps do you get from running that setup in the node, For general gaming please?

Many thanks for the reply and Im sure i,ll have a few questions!

:O What kind of temps do you get from running that setup in the node, For general gaming please?
I just tried running World Of Tanks uncapped at 1080p on all max, CPU stays around 70-80C, GPU is configured not to exceed 80.

Edit: These are stats for a single battle, WoT is not particularly demanding -
I have set:
CPU (XTU, BIOS)
  • MCE ON
  • Turbo Boost ON
  • Core Voltage ADAPTIVE
  • Core Voltage offset -0.095v
  • IccMax 160A
GPU (MSI Afterburner)
  • Frequency Custom Curve, scanned and set, then limited by 2000MHz
  • Power Limit 75%
  • Temp Limit 73C (Custom Curve, practical limit 80C)

Last edited:
Yeah, I should've mentioned, GPUs can be "de-tuned" same as CPUs. These days (just like CPUs) GPUs are pushed past their maximum power/performance efficiency point in a chase to beat the other guy, so pulling back the frequency for just a "small" performance hit can reap LARGE power savings.

Sep 10, 2020
Thanks for the replies!

I,ve built computers but not tinkered too much with overclocking and frequencys etc but can't be that hard nowadays xD

I am thinking the 10700 (From the video it never seems to go near 100w CPU Pwr, Although im not sure how accurate that is) and use the IS-60 I,ve read a lot of good things about this cooler.

Not sure how much of a difference you lose from a K version compared to a "normal" version but the reduction in TDP is HUGE,
10700 = 65tdp
10700k = 125tdp

The other contender I looked at was the
i9 10850K = 125w (So this might be too much) although the IS-60 reports as 130 TDP.

@vov4ik_il : With the Is-60 does it fit nicely inside the Node or does it push the side panel please?

Sorry for all the questions, I have normally built into Micro-ATX and ATX size cases so cooling isnt such a problem in those xD

Many thanks for all the responses!

Next problem is finding out if a 3080 will fit XD

PS I bought a SF750 Corsair PSU as I read that the new 30 series will need a 750w psu

Last edited:
@vov4ik_il : With the Is-60 does it fit nicely inside the Node or does it push the side panel please?
IS-60 is a tight fit. It does not bow the panel but there is absolutely no room left in between it and the dust filter.
Next problem is finding out if a 3080 will fit XD
There is plenty of room for GPU. If it is much longer than the Asus 2080 Turbo I have there, you might need to surrender the HDD bracket and only use M2 storage. The only concern I would have is the GPU cooling. I was looking specifically for a blower-style card. The card dwells against the long rectangular mesh opening of the case (about an inch away from it, despite how it looks on the photo) so the intake is perfect but the exhaust is its own i/o bezel and a mesh stripe on the top corner.
PS I bought a SF750 Corsair PSU as I read that the new 30 series will need a 750w psu
That was my choice too, but it was out of stock and the case came with a 450W PSU so I use it for now. No issues yet. Since the system is derated and performance limited, it only pulls about (rough numbers through battery backup) 350W max from the socket when fully loaded and about 250W when playing games.

I wonder if the IS-60 EVO with the extra 92mm underneath would provide any/noticeably better cooling than the OG. The EVO was just announced 3 days ago though (in retail late Oct to early Nov), so no reviews yet. I do like the OG IS-60 had the aluminum baseplate supporting the fins, whereas the EVO puts all that weight on the 6 heatpipes....might be flimsy.
As far as everything goes though, the IS-60 maximizes the size of heatsink you can stuff in the Node 202 while still adhering to the max height given on the case specs. Always good to maximize heatsink size. IIRC, there was 1 or 2 other alternatives to the IS-60, but they were technically in excess of the allowable clearance in the case so the dust filter on the case panel would need to be removed (CoolerMaster Geminii M4 and Reeven Brontes IIRC)

Again (and as Vov4ik said) I'd recommend looking into blower-style GPUs. Especially at the performance tier you're looking at, being able to exhaust the waste heat directly out of the GPU bracket is very important IMO

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020
IS-60 is a tight fit. It does not bow the panel but there is absolutely no room left in between it and the dust filter.

Does that mean I can just remove the dust filter and fit it, I never really use the Dust Filter anyway on any Case i,ve used, Does removing the filter damage the case at all ?

because if the IS-60 will support a 125w CPU that will solve the question about CPU. :)

Again (and as Vov4ik said) I'd recommend looking into blower-style GPUs. Especially at the performance tier you're looking at, being able to exhaust the waste heat directly out of the GPU bracket is very important IMO

Yes I would look at getting a Blower style card to exhaust the heat out of the back of the card instead of into the case.

I am getting closer to 100% deciding on a CPU/Processor combo for this case.

I have been watching so many youtube videos of Node 202 builds.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-jCg9vUeTE
(This one was using an 8700k)

I did notice that Ryzen chips seem to be lower TDP, But im a bit of an Intel fanboy now (Hides in shame), So maybe I need to return to my youth and revert back to AMD lol

Many thanks for all the replies and advice!

Does that mean I can just remove the dust filter and fit it, I never really use the Dust Filter anyway on any Case i,ve used, Does removing the filter damage the case at all ?

because if the IS-60 will support a 125w CPU that will solve the question about CPU. :)
You can. Absolutely. Removing it is a matter of sliding it out. The numbers you see about heat dissipation is a laboratory gathered synthetic number and if you do expect to dissipate 125W continuously, I doubt it will perform up to the task. On the contrary, you always can lower the heat by lowering the performance level - tuning down your CPU to produce less heat. So far, about 80W~100W works for me flawlessly and the temps are under control.

Sep 10, 2020
I think I have narrowed the CPU choices down to these 3 I think

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...en-7-3700X-vs-Intel-i9-10900/3747vs3485vs3745

i7 10700 (Non K)
Ryzen 7 3700X

or the premium choice is the
i9 10900

Will look into exactly how much more performance a 10900 offers over a 10700 and 3700X before I decide if it,s worth the premium.

I saw that there was a Ryzen 9 3900 which was 65w also but that,s only available to OEM :(

Many thanks for all the replies!

Sep 10, 2020
I'd consider the silverstone raven mitx series over the node.
The node is a lovely looking case but the ravens are way way better cooling wise when filled with high end gaming components.

Case in point - what you can squeeze in there with some effort.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Wd3bt6

Yes that case looks pretty good also, I think that will be my next project as I will be needing to "shrink" this 8700k to a Mini ITX form factor also and due to it needing extra cooling power I will most likely get that case for it.

If I had of not already purchased the Node 202 case I may have chosen that one, Ah well you live and you learn.

Many thanks!

Yes that case looks pretty good also, I think that will be my next project as I will be needing to "shrink" this 8700k to a Mini ITX form factor also and due to it needing extra cooling power I will most likely get that case for it.

If I had of not already purchased the Node 202 case I may have chosen that one, Ah well you live and you learn.

Many thanks!

I didn't realise you'd already purchased, that's a shame.

While I love Fractal Design and their cases are some of the best designed and best build quality available Silverstone are the absolute masters of Mitx and matx htpc and gaming design.

With the node I do think purely on a cooling level you'd probably be better off with ryzen, the 10700k is almost certainly going to be too much for that case with the cpu cooler limitations it imposes.
Ignore the tdp, the intels do run incredibly hot in comparison.

I'd transplant the 8700k into the node (even if its temporarily for testing) with the ids cooling 60 and see how it fares before making another decision.

Sep 10, 2020
I didn't realise you'd already purchased, that's a shame.

While I love Fractal Design and their cases are some of the best designed and best build quality available Silverstone are the absolute masters of Mitx and matx htpc and gaming design.

With the node I do think purely on a cooling level you'd probably be better off with ryzen, the 10700k is almost certainly going to be too much for that case with the cpu cooler limitations it imposes.
Ignore the tdp, the intels do run incredibly hot in comparison.

I'd transplant the 8700k into the node (even if its temporarily for testing) with the ids cooling 60 and see how it fares before making another decision.

Thats a good idea!, The 10700 not the K version is 65w, I have accepted that I cannot put a 125w in the Node "easily", So have looked at the possibilitys for 65w. :)

But the next case I will be sure that it fits a 125w + cooler easily xD

thanks for the advice!