Question Non NAS storage enclosure

adrenox

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
Hi guys,

so i run a personal Plex server at home and currently have 2 internal drives and 6 externals. i need more space and would realy like a harddrive enclosure which you can add 4-6 internals to, i want it to essentially be a dumb drive holder. i found some from companies called ICYBOX, ORICO AND FANTEC. there arent many reviews from either and the ones that they do have are exactly convincing, having never heard of these companies im unsure. have you guys got any experience with them or a different company? Also i do not want a NAS drive enclosure as its out of my price range and im the only user.

One question to answer yourself - how you are going to connect these "4-6 internals" to your computer? Do you have additional 4-6 SATA ports, or you'll rely on some form of SATA extender?

One way to go around this is to use external enclosure with built-in RAID controller and configure is as JBOD, like these

adrenox

Honorable
Jun 11, 2013
One question to answer yourself - how you are going to connect these "4-6 internals" to your computer? Do you have additional 4-6 SATA ports, or you'll rely on some form of SATA extender?

One way to go around this is to use external enclosure with built-in RAID controller and configure is as JBOD, like these

So what im looking is a JBOD, i didnt realise it had a name. The type you show is exactly what im looking for but the problem is they all have really bad reviews. Any knowledge on whats trusted and not?