[SOLVED] None of my apps are showing up in "Apps and Features" after rebuilding my computer

Thaiiphoon

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
I recently rebuilt my computer with a new cpu, motherboard, and clean windows install. From the title, the drive and its files show up in disk management and file explorer, but when I go to uninstall some programs through the windows settings nothing shows up as on that drive.

When I did a clean install the drive initialized with a different drive letter and I changed it back to what it was before in case that was the issue, but that did not fix it.

EDIT: I did a clean windows install on a separate ssd from my old system.

Solution
The new OS on the different drive knows nothing about whatever applications/programs that lived in the old drive and OS.

There is no using them, there is no uninstall for those.

Thaiiphoon

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
The new OS on the different drive knows nothing about whatever applications/programs that lived in the old drive and OS.

There is no using them, there is no uninstall for those.

Alright, I'm a bit confused because I can launch all the applications such as my graphics card program, or even steam, I can also play all the games. It just doesn't show up in windows settings. For programs other than games do I just have to manually uninstall them through their installer?

At this point should I just back up my important documents and format the drive to avoid any complications in the future?

Charseza

Honorable
May 26, 2015
Alright, I'm a bit confused because I can launch all the applications such as my graphics card program, or even steam, I can also play all the games. It just doesn't show up in windows settings. For programs other than games do I just have to manually uninstall them through their installer?

At this point should I just back up my important documents and format the drive to avoid any complications in the future?
It only means the files they need to work are all there in your storage. But since its a new install of windows, nothing is installed yet. But their files are there. The new os just doesnt recognize them as installed. The only thing you can do to kinda "uninstall" them from your pc now is just by deleting their files or wiping your hdd with the old OS.

Hope this helps :)

USAFRet

Titan

The Steam client will probably work.
And if you point that client at the new location (different drive letter) of where the games are, they will also probably work.

But when an application is installed, it akes many entries in the Registry and elsewhere. dozens, sometimes thousands.
The new OS knows nothing about these.

Some of this info relates to appearing in "Settings - Apps and Programs", and being able to "uninstall".

Yes, your best bet is to wipe that old drive clean, and reinstall.