Normal CPU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
rofl i guess this post missed the huge hint of sarcasm :)... but if ur psu worked fine it wouldnt be much worse than sticking ur tongue on a 9 volt battery

endyen

Splendid
Even 1 milliamp is enough to kill provided the sufficient voltage is there
Sorry Pat, but that is just plain wrong.
Any current below 30 milliamps is barely noticeable.
50 to 75 milliamps is what's called "hold on" current, since this level causes the muscles to lock, usually making the victim hold firmly.
Even at that level, death is rare. It only happens as a result of a heart anomoly.
Most cases of electocution are when there is a high current traveling through a primary organ, causing tissue damage. If you were to apply 600 volts through two points on your tongue, you would probably loose your tongue, but would live, though not to tell about it.
Old electricians used to test lamp sockets by licking their finger, and connecting the live and identified parts. If done right, the socket voltage will cause a current to flow through the saliva, causing it to heat, and allowing a small amount of current to travel along the skin, causing a tingling sensation. Dont try this at home though. If you are well grounded, the path to ground may be through your heart.

pat

Expert
I know that someone healty probably wont die, but some with heart problem coud. Maybe 1 milliamp is small, but well, let say some with sufficient voltage cand cause heart problem for those that are not aware...

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Umm... I think I saw someone on TV run 200,000 volts (Guiness world records i think) through their body and not flintch... Had some cool "Lightning" like streams coming out of her fingertips and hair...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i think we can all agree that if u want to test ur power supply the easiest way to do it is to take it apart and just feel around

pat

Expert
put 200000v without any amps, and it is not bad. but let say that the same voltage got 1 mA.. and the power generated would be P=VI, or W=200000x0.001.... or 200w. 200w is enough to cause damage to sensitive tissue.

Now, thake a welding machine. you have 90 amps at the tip of the electrode. Ok, there is no voltage generated, because at this current, a 12v line would put 1080w. How long will you live in a microwave that put out 1000w?

You see, none of them alone is fatal, but it take only one in sufficient number to become hazardous.

It it like a 2 tons car running a 1 MPh. the car's weight is the amp and the speed is the voltage. When you'll feel the 2 tons car hitting you at such low speed, you'll probably have the time to move away and avoid to being crushed by the 2 tons car. Now, take a few once bullet. the small bullet is the amp. the bullet goes at 2000 MPh.. this is the voltage.. you might feel it going inside you. it may leave the major organ intact and you'll survive. But, it ma just silently go thru the heart and kill you. a few once vs a 2 tons car..

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
wait so ur saying that they dont use plastic to cool cpu's anymore?... maybe thats why mines overheating... do u think candle wax would help out? what if i just spit on it hourly

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
SHYT!! if i didnt could this damage my cpu????? i put some of my dogs hair on it, and it took more than 5 seconds to catch on fire... is that good or bad?? i wonder if i should consider overclocking?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've never heard of the Willamette, how is it, compared to the Prescott?
Well, Willy was the first P4 core. It was hot, it had less cache, and it had been pretty hacked from what the engineers wanted, and was the first incarnation to boot, so it left a lot to be desired. Plus it was during Intel's fight against DDR, so often it didn't have the bandwidth it needed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a lot of ways actually, Willy was like Scotty. I guess Intel went full circle there. Northy was the only real exception to P4s sucking.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Anyone still lick those 9V battery to test for juice?
I do that frequently just to keep me up awake during exams. [/serious]
I had a friend years ago with the dumbest little dog ever. One time we were working on a model rocket and we had a 9V battery to use for ignition. Well, his dumb dog comes up, sniffing around, so he holds the battery out for the dog to sniff. When the nose made contact, ZAP. Did the dog learn? Hell no. It got so mad that it kept trying to bite the battery. Each time it'd get itself zapped on the tongue. Zap - yelp. Zap - yelp. Zap - yelp.

Damn dog kept going at it until the battery wore out. We'd have tried to stop it except that: 1) that dog was too worked up and snapping to put a hand anywhere near that battery, and 2) it was too damn funny to stop laughing long enough to try. Fortunately for the dog it was a cheap arse battery that'd been fairly well used already, or else it might have gone on four hours instead of minutes.

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Here's a tip to everyone... just because you don't know about it.. doesnt make it weird or abnormal...

as for the dog.... silly. hehehehehe

I used to bet people 5 bucks in Electronics class I could touch an active jacob's ladder.

I'd make sure i stood on a rubber mat on the floor and only touch one of the contacts..... created a weird buzzing feeling in my finger tip and thats it. got the 5 bucks everytime. they'd think i'd fry myself.

although i did warn them not to do that themselves and NEVER.. EVER.. touch both contactsof a jacobs ladder at the same time..

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Heh heh. In small engines class back in high school we had cut-away 4-cycle single-cylinder enging with a crank so that you could turn the crank and watch parts move. But it was made from a working engine. So the spark plug still zapped.

One day we had everyone hold hands while one person held the spark plug cable and another turned the crank. That was fun. Zzzzaaaap! All in a row. I think the last person in the series got it the worst, but I could be wrong. And whenever some damn fool was dumb enough to walk by the shop our chain would run after them and give them a pat. Zap! He he he.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
great but now im getting another overheat problem. When im at idle with case closed, i get 41 celcius. When i run games it goes to 65 and my computer shutdown. Its a bad air flow?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
It sounds like an airflow issue.
You say your case has 5 fans. Did it come that way stock or did you add some?
Is this problem new?
Have you done any mods just before the heat/crash issue?

FYI, I have a P4 northwood that idles 32-35c. I have to push it really hard to hit 40. This is using the stock Intel cooler. System/case temps run 30-35.

Status
Not open for further replies.