Normal CPU?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
But Pentium4 got 2 model? prescott and northwood?

And i got no fan for my northbridge only a weird black plastic heatskink...

No, about seven models actually. Wiliamete was the first version--wasnt too hot but man for the GHz the speed was worse than the pentium III 1GHz cpus. They were quickly replaced by the decent P4 Northwoods. Then the ProcessHot -- er, Prescott -- core came out, and many after that.

pat

Expert
Well, do you think a cooler packed with dust will be really efficient??? Start your brain, and think.. how would I feel covered with dust around component that put out lots of heat???

But I'm sure that you are not serious and you know all that..... well, no, I'm not really sure, because it you were, you be running a clean computer..

I only hope your not living in a house that dirty ..

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
what are you talking about? what dusts does? slow computer? cause overheats?

YESS!!! You didn't read my post on your other forum did you? Dust kills computers. As a service tech I can say that probably 60% of the video card and motherboard problems I've fixed on customer's PCs are caused by heat problems, and almost all of the heat problems are due to excess dust in the cooling fans or on the chips themselves.

pat

Expert
what are you talking about? what dusts does? slow computer? cause overheats?

YESS!!! You didn't read my post on your other forum did you? Dust kills computers. As a service tech I can say that probably 60% of the video card and motherboard problems I've fixed on customer's PCs are caused by heat problems, and almost all of the heat problems are due to excess dust in the cooling fans or on the chips themselves.

You still havent understand??? noob won't read anything usefull.. no.. they think they know everything and all they want to talk about in longer word like Hypertransport, but forget the smaller one, and more important..like cleaning .

SiLeNtEuPhOrIa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
i think we can all agree that if u want to test ur power supply the easiest way to do it is to take it apart and just feel around
Yep, just be sure it's plugged in when you do it (but be carefull, there may be sharp edges in there that can cut you 8O )

wait so ur saying that they dont use plastic to cool cpu's anymore?... maybe thats why mines overheating... do u think candle wax would help out? what if i just spit on it hourly
Silly parlee, plastic's for pro's! Plastic is the latest and greatest heatsink available, and all the overclockers are using it to keep their hardware arctic breeze cool at tems as low as 120 degrees celsius. If it's overheating try blowing on it 5 times an hour. candle wax should be applied in place of the thermal paste (again, latest and greatest tech, outperforms Artik Silver 5 by a longshot). You only need to spit on it hourly if you overclock it :lol:

SHYT!! if i didnt could this damage my cpu????? i put some of my dogs hair on it, and it took more than 5 seconds to catch on fire... is that good or bad?? i wonder if i should consider overclocking?
Na, the doghair incident just proves that your CPU is running at the P3RF3C7 Temp! As to overclocking, definitely! Just be sure to cook breakfast while you 'clock it!

i got another thing to ask. Why i got a fan here?: http://img43.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0197gg.jpg
Not quite sure, but could help with overheating and ID if you were to dust/vacuum in there once in a while (then repost).

SiLeNtEuPhOrIa

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006

Oh joy, we have a Best Buy geek squad team member here :roll:
Everybody batten down the hatches while we watch him work magic :lol: and reinstall the OS to fix the hard drive issue
(no offense to you bourgeoisdude, just a thing between myself and help desk/geek squad/service tech's).

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
how can u be so dumb? its compressed air, its not acid or anything spray it anywhere inside ur computer and only worry if somthing blows off. in my experience everything that gets a lot of dust on it is very solid and has fans on it, so at most ull spin the fans with the air... so u may wanna buy new fans because itd be unsafe to run them afterwords...

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
to electricity............................. dude its AIR a computer needs AIR so that it doesnt overheat, if he compressed air is more powerful than a paintball gun it could potentially do damage, otherwise, no.

pat

Expert
but can i damade a fan or something like this?

You obvioulsly has no clue abut what "common sense means" don't you???

seriously, are you that really noob?? I mean.. what parts of carefully blowing air in a case is hard to conceive? I mean, if you blow air on a fan and it start spinning what would you do? Hold it to prevent it to run too fast or make it overspin til it fails?

I don't know. maybe you should give up all this computer stuff, because lacking of knowledge is one thing, but lacking common sense can be much more disastrous. There is shop that would clean it for you for a fee, but you won't ruin something. Else, my 10 years old nephew could do it for you too..

Status
Not open for further replies.