(NOT A TROLL THREAD) Apple, and why do/don't you buy their products?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmi86

Distinguished

Exactly, only apple people would say something like "crave" when speaking about electronics. It's a cell phone dude not a crack rock. I don't mind the cellphones because they actually have something to offer at their price point. Mac's on the other hand are always under spec'd and over priced , they seem to be bought more as a fashion accessory than a computer.

PepsiCoke

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

Ok, yeah you got me there, I put my hands up... :pfff:

I used to despise the apple-words like 'crave' and 'fan' when people were referring to them or their products up until only last year, I know, what a hypocrite I am! Although, as for the astronomical amounts they expect you to spend on one of their macbooks, that's why I bought a cheap refurb and shipped it overseas... got myself a good deal. No way would I spend any where near the silly money they ask for something half as powerful as normal laptops/notebooks.

COMPUTERGEEK762

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

first off your right you can do everything you can do on a mac on a pc but for photo and video editing mac is better and im a pc guy. and second you dont have to buy a new mac for software updates just buy the the new os which is a lot cheaper than windows

cmi86

Distinguished

First off I'm gonna say I'm not trying to start a fanboi war here but the differences in both vendors releasing an OS is when windows releases an OS for $150.00-$250.00 it's a BRAND NEW OS from the ground up with hundreds upon hundreds of new features, when apple goes from 10.2.5.7.3.8.9.5.2 to 10.2.5.7.3.8.9.5.2.1 there is handful of new features (most useless) built on the same exact OS. It's more like apple is charging you for updates than a new OS

COMPUTERGEEK762

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

I have to agree with you there. like i said before i am a pc guy. i dont have a mac and have no desire for one but i also have used them for video editing and i do know for a fact its better at video/photo editing thats all i was trying to say

cmi86

Distinguished

Do not confuse easier with better. Just because any moron can jump on i-movie and slap something together does not make it "better" Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere hell even Final cut on the mac are all real professional programs. Truth of it is video editing software likes alot of hardware and mac's just dont have it. Why do you think 99.99% of 3D rendering/animation/CGI in the movie industry is done by high end PC's ? (take transformers series for example, all PC)

COMPUTERGEEK762

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

macs suck at 3d rendering but that has a lot to do with the fact that they like to have total control over what goes into there computers where as pc you can put what you want and what you need. but for someone starting out in the movie industry final cut is the way to go. and for photo editing. yu can get the same programs on pc but program like photoshop run better on mac but when it comes down to it your always going to be better to have building a high end pc thats 20x better than a mac for the same or less money. which is macs big down fall. if they charged a reasonable price and allowed better customization abilities than mac wouldnt be that bad but since that day will never come. everyone is better off with a pc.

what would really be nice to see is apple unlocking mac so it can be used on any computer. ya you can use osx86 project or hackintoch but if you could put mac on a high end pc it would dominate in the video industry in my opion

cmi86

Distinguished

I think it would be very cool if apple loosened up a little on their products and priced their stuff competitively, and "most" their owners were less arrogant too lol. I wanted to do a 7/hackintosh/linux Tri-boot for the hell of it but I have since found out I have to have an intel for OSX and I do not so I guess that project will have to wait for another day.

COMPUTERGEEK762

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

that would be a nice setup!

to do a hackintosh setup all of your hardware has to be compatible and mos isnt

licktheenvelope

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I find that it's all relative to computer knowledge I find.

Very few tech savvy people I know are on Macs (unless they are working on design specific applications that their companies mandate).

I also seriously question the longevity of Macs vs PC. All my closest friends with PCs have each run a PC for over 5 years with few to no issues. In the last 12 years i've only run 2 pcs, combined cost of under $3200. Meanwhile of my three close friends who have moved from Windows to Mac in the last 2 years two of them have now suffered major system issues and in both cases have moved back to PC.

With regards to phones I actually really like Apples hardware, great devices IMO.... but oh man... Itunes. I simply abhor Itunes. I realize there are hack ways around certain things but man... the limitations it throws up are simply aggravating.

As for Ipads, Ipods etc. I have no use for an ipod. I had one of the old nano's with a clip and it broke (relatively easily....) I liked that device... but again... ITUNES! grr. I use those for hiking and trail running. I just need a device that's tiny and has a clip to last for 6-14 hours. I switched after the nano to very small Sandisk mps players about a 3rd the cost... which is great. Lost one in europe, no biggy! $40 and a new one is mine. :bounce:

Ipads I simply have no use for a tablet right now and feel the technology is still infant. Perhaps in 5-10 years there will be a form of tablet I can think of a use for but right now I simply have no need.

I had Apples back in the 80's (Apple IIe followed by an Apple IIc) upon release of the 386 (and subsequent hardware releases) MS has had PC gaming pretty much locked up (software availability).
The only reason I currently do not own any Apple products is Price/Value... just isn't there for me personally.

joeman99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
i will never buy an apple product. mainly because:

-i don't like to pay for marketing
-lack of flexibility
-their users fan base. (mostly preachers trying to show how snobish they are and how great their mac is)
-security (sorry but don't want to wait 2 months until the close-minded Apple decides to update Java in their machines even if they knew there was an exploit out in the wild)

The whole ideea behind apple strategy is summarized in their 90's campaing "Think Different". After that they continued with "switch Ad" campaign featuring what the company referred to as "real people" who had "switched" from the Microsoft Windows platform to the Mac.

You see, the whole ideea behind Apple strategy is psychology. Just use their ego against their wallets. It's the same thing luxury producs sales are based on. There has to be a [strike]stupid[/strike] different and proud user to buy them. And psychology plays an important role.

There is a well known myth that macosx is better than windows at image/video/audio creation/editing but that was demonstrated (with real life tests) to be wrong. The best PC out there will always , but always , surpass the best MAC and i didn't even counted the flexibility shown in terms of available software , hardware etc.

dassix

Honorable
May 31, 2012
I have an iPhone and numerous PCs in the house. The iPhone is very nice and simplistic (being closed of course). When I use my phone I don't want to be creative and innovative with the systems on there, just get something to work and go forward, which the iPhone is great for.

However, for the PCs at my house I rebuild a new one every year and a half or so to keep my machines upgraded so I can constantly be maxing out games / multimedia. If I went with the same exact tech for MAC and upgraded the systems every time along with my PC it would cost be enormous amounts of money.

To me, the iPhone is unbeatable. At home the PC is unbeatable.

cxinformatique

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
cuz you pay for a normal MAC when you can buy a giant gaming rig of the death.

In other words, you pay too much for the crap they give you.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I like the iPod's and iPhones, but I don't use iMacs.

They are simply overpriced.

My dad has a $1299 iMac from 2011, and its specs are equal to like a $600 PC.

A $1299 PC would be a decent gaming computer, but the iMac has 4GB 1333 RAM, crappy mobile GPU, and an i5 2400s 2.5Ghz.

My other problem is the lack of compatibility, and my final problem is how they lock everything up.

Its difficult to change settings and stuff.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Getting a Mac is next on the agenda. I don't plan on spending too much on it, all i really want is to use the OS so chances are i might use my new PC for that, see if i can't get a hackintosh. Either that or finding a used Mac for cheap. It can be desktop or laptop.

Other then being curious on the OS and just having one (doesn't need to be the latest) i'm not going to spend an excess amount of money just to get one. They are generally better then store bought PC's, however i have seen some impressive machines in Best Buy, but it's too far and few in between... when i first got into computers i wanted one & didn't really pay much attention to specs, if i had i'd probably still be using my first machine.

But i'm glad i do now because i'm more concerned about the lifespan of it vs. the overall cheapness of it to save money. So i prefer building my own machine so i know what i'm getting and im only buying the parts i need.

I never bought any Apple products, never needed to. Getting an iPad seems interesting but then i probably wouldn't have any use for it. I got a laptop that works fine but i don't really use it unless im doing computer work at a friends house where i require one.

mknabster

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
I bought my first Mac in 2007 since i was a graphic design student at the time, and my college required us to have a MacBook Pro, which i know is ridiculous, but that's the way it was. This was the first MBP that incorporated the Intel chipset into the Apple mobo, so with that, i had multiple problems. I only had that machine for 2 weeks until i had a GPU issue, so i got another one, then4 months later the mobo and GPU died, so i got another, which is my current computer, and just a few months ago, my GPU died, so they replaced it again. I found out later that my line of computers had Nvidia GPU issues, which was obvious now. From that experience, i would never buy an Apple laptop again, or any other computer that uses the same type of hardware minimizing, so no iMac, mac mini, or Macbooks for me.

I do love the operating system though, at least up to Snow Leopard, I absolutely despise the newer Lion and Mountain Lion, they are too much like iOS, which i don't particularly like either. There should be a disparity between a computer and mobile device, but unfortunately that's where Apple is headed with Lion, and now even Microsoft with Windows 8.

I did purchase 2 PowerMacs over the past 2 years because i was always fascinated by them growing up, but i never could afford them. So i was able to get them for $100 each at an auction at school. One i gave to my mother for use as her primary, which i gave her dual monitors with and she loves the OS and how quick the computer is. The other i use as my home file server, and that works beautifully; it's funny that the older Macs run much better than when Intel was brought into the picture, if only IBM kept making the PowerPC processors.

As far as what Macs are good for, I think they excel when it comes to photography and graphic design, and likewise with mundane, tasks such as office work. Likewise with windows for run-of-the-mill stuff, but i think PCs are excellent when it comes to video editing and rendering, as well as animation production. I haven't really dabbled in too much audio production, so i can't really say anything about that, but i use my MacBook Pro for my photography and my Dell Precision for video/animation production as well as my HTPC.

Escobarito

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

Even if Acer or HP did sell low quality products one does not have to buy from them. Building one's own PC is cheaper, fun, and customized to one's needs. I agree with r0x0r that Apple charges a fortune for something someone could build for less than half the price, and personally the lack of options is what turns me off to Apple products (not just the price). A PC can do anything a Mac can do, but a Mac can't do anything a PC can do.

jimi_

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
People buy Apple for the same reasons people buy anything redundant. Fashion, culture, vanity - its all very 'human' things. I'm one of those freaks who uses linux... The main thing people don't seem to realize is there is a learning curve. OSX is simple. It is. You can't really hurt your computer. Windows is slightly less locked down -and if you're administrator, (which you sort of had to be pre-vista) you could really do some serious damage to your hardware. Linux Distros, varying from almost windows to true CLI interfaces, require some brain power. Of course, the tools they give greatly out-weigh any learning curve, but a good chunk of the human race is determined to put as little effort into the things in front of them as possible.

This is the best way to go:
For home use:
Build a desktop, boot it up with Linux Mint. It's easy, allows for proprietary drivers, and is based of of Ubuntu, which is based off Debian, meaning you can find support for everything* you could want to do.
*- with the exception of running natively some Microsoft and Apple products.

For travel:
Grab a decent laptop, probably find the best from a company like MSI right now, then set up a dual boot with Linux Mint (or you're preferred Linux Distro)

Unfortunately, both of these options require a small, ever so small - bit of determination. And the lack of that determination, along with the absolutely evil advertising Apple has done is the reason it is a trending market share. (ideas like 'macs cant get viruses').

Also, another idea must come bubbling to the surface: the Mac is a Face-book Machine, with some nice games like Garage Band built in. If you've never played around with Garage Band, you are truly missing out. So simple. So awfully simple.

TLDR:
People are dumb, they like brand names and false senses of security.
In reality, everybody should use a *nix OS. But most people are dumb.

TLDR'A:
People = dumb ; Linux = !People?

rezervesizeja

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I buy only Ipods, no ipads, iphones or macs. And I buy them because they have a very good quality, good UI. I have an Ipod shuffle and nano for 7 years now and there is no sign of them failing any time soon. They still work great. Also I once tried a phillips and a walkman players they broke in 2 years.

brythespy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I play on PS3, use a Netgear NeoTV streaming device, use a Windows Laptop and Windows Desktop, and own an iPod Nano 5G, and an iPhone 4s. I guess you can say I'm not "loyal" to any brand, I think this "brandism (AKA Fanboyism)" bullcrap is getting too far. I use this stuff because it works, and I grew up using them, that's just how it is. If it works, it isn't stupid, yes?

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005

The only problem is Microsoft's new OSs are kinda flaky every other version, i.e. Windows '98, [strike]Windows ME[/strike], Windows XP, [strike]Windows Vista[/strike], Windows 7, [strike]Windows 8[/strike]. Maybe they'll get Windows 9 right, or release a major Service Pack for 8 to make it play nice with non-touch screen computers ;)

brythespy

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I don't use MAC, I've always used Windows, and I love it, but I can't let you exaggerate the "hundreds of new useful features". HA! Windows has been the same since Windows XP, it barely added features, and most of them are useless. Sorry, I love Windows, but I can't agree with that statement. Oh, and also Windows XP still is the best usable OS.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I have decided to go with the Apple OS. Too much controversy with the Win 8 thing and if MS decides to keep the new UI i'm going to want something different. Users continue to argue that Win 8 is so much better when i am perfectly happy with the way Win 7 is. Win 7 is having a good run so once that OS is done for Apple/Linux will probably be my choice of OS's.

Cockatoo

Honorable
May 1, 2013
I use both and I like both, but for different reasons and in different situations. But I think it's good to separate the debates of Windows vs OSX and PC hardware vs Apple hardware because we all know that Windows runs on Macs and OSX runs on PCs.

I use both Win7 and OSX 10.8, those are my OS's of choice, and while they both have pros and cons, IMO at the moment they're pretty much as good as each other. I don't have a favorite, I just prefer to use one over the other in certain situations. So that's as far as I'll go on the OS side. Other than to say that if I wanted a lifetime of ugly GUIs, drivers not working, apps not running and endless days filled with nothing buy nerd rage, of course I'd just install Linux. :p

As for hardware, at home I have a custom built PC desktop. It dual boots Win7 and OSX. I primarily use the OSX side for simple things (internet, email etc) while the Win 7 side gets used for heavy CAD and 3D visualisation stuff. Things like Office or Photoshop I'll happily do on either side.

I also have an Apple laptop (MBP). It gets used when I'm on the move or just want to do something simple. It has a bunch of Windows VM's and when I need to run Windows apps on it, VMware makes that almost fun. It's so satisfying to just flick between the OSX and Windows desktops with a 3-finger swipe across the trackpad.

My opinion on hardware pretty much come down to this: PC's for desktops, Macs for portables.

You'd be bloody mad to buy a Mac Pro or even an iMac in my opinion. You can get twice the power for half the money and still run OSX with a PC. But at the same time, Mac laptops actually aren't that far off PC ones when it comes to power for dollar (they are still a bit overpriced in that sense), but IMO other things like the design, display, weight and battery life make up for this. Yeah, you can argue that all day long, but there's no denying macs do tend to excel in those area. And the one thing you can't do to a PC laptop unfortunately (unless you're really lucky) is hackintosh it, so if you want OSX, you're out of luck.

On the Apple users stigma... well I'll admit it's annoying. But if you strip away all the apple marketing BS, underneath their shiny cases mac's are just a good old x86 based PCs. The lines between the two sides are definitely quite blurred.

Oh yeah... and if one more person says "Macs are better for video editing" or "PCs are better for gaming"... you're wrong! Just install the OS you want and be done with it. Technically speaking, he hardware's all pretty much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.