Question Not booting after over locking ram

Apr 29, 2020
Hi
I have recently been over clocking my ram and changed some of the frequency and timing settings. When I exited the bios my pc didn’t boot and since then has been continuously turning on and off. I have tried to clear the CMOS by unplugging my pc and removing the CMOS battery for up to 20 minutes. I then tried to reset it using the jumper pins. I had no luck with either method. When I try to boot my pc, my monitor has no signal and my keyboard and mouse don’t light up as they usually do, but all the components in my pc such as fans and LED Lights on the graphics card all turn on as usual.
My system:

Ryzen 7 2700
Asrock B450 pro4
Thermaltake 650w power supply
16gb Corsair ddr4 3000
Asus gtx 1060 oc
+ one hdd and 2 ssds
(note I installed one of the ssds earlier today but the pc booted normally afterwards)

Is there anything else I can try?
Any help would be appreciated

AppleGwava

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
Hmm, as what bmockeg has said technically clearing the cmos should have undone whatever ram settings you did.

I would continue to a normal troubleshooting

Bare Minimun Rig
This uses the lease amount of components the computer needs to run to attempt to remove some problems

Remove until there is only 1 stick of ram
Unplug hdd/ssd
Try to boot again with the objective of getting into bios

you can also try swapping amongst the 2? sticks of ram

Wishing you smooth troublshooting,
Alvis

Apr 29, 2020
Update: I left the cmos battery out overnight and managed to get into bios and set everything back to default when I booted. I then continued into Windows and went to task manager to check if everything was working and I noticed that only one ram stick was showing up even though I had both installed. I also noticed that the amount that task manager said the ram was using, and the amount that was spare added up to be about 2gb less that the 8gb stick should have. I then turned off the pc and reinstalled the ram and now it isn’t booting again. I have tried to boot with only one ram stick.
Do I need to get new ram?

Last edited: