[SOLVED] not convinced about my pc performance

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Hello. This is my very first post, I hope a get a solution.
Looking videos of games in the internet, and comparing those with the performance I have in my pc (with similar hardware), I don´t like the FPS im getting.
For example, Ghost Recond Wildlands is working at 70-80 fps for other people in very high, but I´m getting 55-60.

wildlands.jpg

RAM is high because I opened some programs, but it´s usually at 6000MB with same FPS results. (I have 8gb in total)

this are mi specifitacions:

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 OC 8GB Asus
CPU: I5-8600k @3.60GHz
Ram: 8 GB 2666 Mhz
MB: gigabyte z370 HD3

In Nvidia Control Panel I only changed:

Vert. Sync to Deactivated and linked optimization activated.

Hoping for your help with this. Thanks !!

Solution
No worries. I'd say that getting another stick will mean you get the FPS you are wanting. Make sure to get the same type though, otherwise it might not work as well.
Looks pretty stable for your specs. Is that RAM 1 stick or 2 sticks? If it's only 1, then get another matching stick (same size, brand, model, speed). You will benefit greatly, as 16gb will be good for a system of your spec, and having 2 sticks will also give about 10fps increase.

Reactions: demian711

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Looks pretty stable for your specs. Is that RAM 1 stick or 2 sticks? If it's only 1, then get another matching stick (same size, brand, model, speed). You will benefit greatly, as 16gb will be good for a system of your spec, and having 2 sticks will also give about 10fps increase.

Thanks for you reply!
It´s 1 stick. So getting another one will increase that much? Wow, I thought it will not. I will do it. Thanks.

Thank you !

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
No worries. I'd say that getting another stick will mean you get the FPS you are wanting. Make sure to get the same type though, otherwise it might not work as well.
Sorry very last question. Im figuring out that I have much less memory than i thought (and bought). As thought i had a 2666 ram, but seems to be a 2133 right? Im not sure how to read this cpu-z numbers.

Also not sure why it says (1066 MHz) if its single Channel.
memoria1.jpg

memoria2.jpg

thanks!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
It says 1066 because it's DDR RAM (Dual Dara Rate). You have to multiply that 1066.7 x 2 therefore 2133.4Mhz.

It's not because it's running in single channel mode. Also it's running in single channel model because you just have one RAM module/stick.

You have to enable XMP from withing BIOS to make it run at 1333 which would be 2666Mhz.

I'd also suggest that you sell your RAM and get a 2x8GB kit as that means they are tested to work together at the speed they're supposed to run. You can get identical RAM module (same size, speed, voltage, latency) and try but there's not guarantee they'd work together. Even from the same model from the same manufacturer.

Reactions: demian711

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
It says 1066 because it's DDR RAM (Dual Dara Rate). You have to multiply that 1066.7 x 2 therefore 2133.4Mhz.

It's not because it's running in single channel mode. Also it's running in single channel model because you just have one RAM module/stick.

You have to enable XMP from withing BIOS to make it run at 1333 which would be 2666Mhz.

I'd also suggest that you sell your RAM and get a 2x8GB kit as that means they are tested to work together at the speed they're supposed to run. You can get identical RAM module (same size, speed, voltage, latency) and try but there's not guarantee they'd work together. Even from the same model from the same manufacturer.

Thanks. Enabled XMP and now it is 2666. In the ram´s sticker says 2666, i don´t know why it is 2133.

Sometimes I´m getting %100 for all cores and that creates FPS drops. Could this bottleneck be related to the lack of memory?

thanks

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Your image shows high cpu utilization.
If you are comparing to other i5-8600K users, realize that they will be overclocked much higher than stock 3.6 With a good cooler, you might get as high as 5.0 if you overclock.
I have a Corsair Hydro Series H45. I will search to see if possible.
You rock guys. Thanks !!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Thanks. Enabled XMP and now it is 2666. In the ram´s sticker says 2666, i don´t know why it is 2133.

Sometimes I´m getting %100 for all cores and that creates FPS drops. Could this bottleneck be related to the lack of memory?

thanks

Yes, JEDEC specifies 2133 and upward for DDR4 with 2133Mhz as the "native" speed. Your CPU can support 2666 natively and the motherboard says here that it supports 2666 natively too. Are you sure you enabled right XMP profile and saved while exiting BIOS? Also where are you getting the reading that it's running at 2133 now? CPU-Z?

Your motherboard's QVL for RAM does not list your part/model number but under 2666 section lists some RAM with Hynix chips as 2666 and some as 2133 under the "native" header. Maybe it's a matter of RAM chips too but when XMP says 2666 and RAM sticker says 2666, when you enable XMP, it should run at 2666. Anyway there won't be a noticeable difference between 2133Mhz and 2666Mhz.

Your shot shows average of 89% CPU utilization while GPU is 95%. That does not indicate a bottleneck in the broadest sense of the word. That is your CPU is not really bottlenecking your GPU. Your CPU, a K one, has 6 cores and since you have a Z series board you can achieve higher speed through overclocking. Although as said above, you'd get higher temps and would need a good 3rd party cooler.

With a decent overclock and maybe lowering some of the CPU-intensive graphical settings you will get better frame rates. These days 16GB is generally considered as the "sweet spot" for RAM size but I don't think you would get significantly higher FPS if you upgrade to 16GB from 8GB.

Last edited:

demian711

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Thank guys.
I will certainly upgrade my Ram to 16.
Will try to overclock as well. But honestly im "afraid" of it. However, I will investigate more and try. Im not fully sure about the Corsair Hydro Series H45 for overclocking, but I will investigate further.

thanks