Question Not getting video out on new build; not sure what to troubleshoot next

Oct 19, 2021
Putting together a system I've been meaning to put together for over a year. I've gotten it to the point where everything seems to be hooked up right and firing up, but I'm getting no video and I'm not sure where to go from here.

CPU is a Ryzen 9 3900X, which from what I understand has no built in video at all? So I've also got a Radeon RX 5600 XT in there, connected via HDMI to a monitor, and I'm getting nothing but No Signal. I still get No Signal if I take the card out and plug directly into the motherboard (because of the Ryzen's lack of onboard, from what I gather). Motherboard is a Gigabyte X570.

I've tried everything in the "No video?" thread. I'm not sure what more info y'all need or what I could try next. Thanks for your time

SPECS, SPECIFICALLY:
CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard - Gigabyte X570
Video - Radeon RX 5600 XT
RAM - Corsair DDR4 3200MHz, 4x16GB (tried with only 1x16GB and still didn't work)
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Case - Corsair iCUE 465X

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021
Specifically which motherboard? (Which Gigabyte X570?)
Are you sure it has the proper BIOS?
Are you getting any warning lights on the MB?

1. Specifically Gigabyte Aorus Elite X570 With Wifi
  2. I have no idea how to check this without video.
  3. No warning lights at all, everything seems to be powering up and glowing and spinning just like it should.

Oct 19, 2021
That motherboard should work with that CPU with the first BIOS....so that's good.
Do you have the power plug(s) plugged into the GPU?
Try a different HDMI cable?
Try a different monitor?

The power plug is in (I only see one), and the GPU glows when power is on. Fans don't spin, but from what I understand this card has "Zero RPM Mode" when cold and that's normal.

I've tried several different cables and monitors, and have tried THIS cable and monitor with another computer and both work fine.

Are there any other model numbers on the Thermaltake (after the word toughpower)?

I would also power down.....and clear the CMOS.
From your MB manual>>>>>>>>

You may clear the CMOS values by removing the battery:
Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord.
Gently remove the battery from the battery holder and wait for one minute. (Or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the positive and negative terminals of the battery holder, making them short for 5 seconds.)
Replace the battery.
Plug in the power cord and restart your computer.

Oct 19, 2021
Are there any other model numbers on the Thermaltake (after the word toughpower)?

I would also power down.....and clear the CMOS.
From your MB manual>>>>>>>>

You may clear the CMOS values by removing the battery:
Turn off your computer and unplug the power cord.
Gently remove the battery from the battery holder and wait for one minute. (Or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the positive and negative terminals of the battery holder, making them short for 5 seconds.)
Replace the battery.
Plug in the power cord and restart your computer.

EDIT: PSU just says "Thermaltake Toughpower 750W"

So I did this, and when I flipped the switch on my power supply (before I hit the power button) the RAM immediately started glowing. It's still glowing even now several minutes later. Not sure if I should try powering up the computer again or let it do whatever it's doing that's making the RAM glow for a while.

Incidentally, the power button turns ON the computer, but won't turn it off no matter how long I hold it down, and I can only turn it off with the power supply switch. Not sure if that tells you anything.

EDIT: After about 10 minutes of glowing I tried powering up the computer again and just like before everything spun up and started glowing like normal and still no video out.

EDIT 2: I stuck the graphics card in my old PC and it worked perfectly, so the problem probably isn't the gfx card

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021
Did you try installing one RAM stick at a time? You sure your CPU is installed correctly? CPU power cables plugged in?
Done all of the above. I'm starting to worry that the motherboard is bad somehow, and I have no clue how to check this with no video and being unable to see the BIOS.

Oct 19, 2021
The problem seemed to be the fan on the back of the case??

The fan had a 3-pin plug, was plugged into the only spot in the motherboard with 3 pins. Unplugged it and it all turns on. It's a miracle!

But now the question comes up, where the heck am I supposed to plug this fan if it's not in the only spot the plug will go? Also how does a fan stop a computer from booting?