Notch Won't Certify Minecraft for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I can live with all the "Bad" if I get all the xbox 360 exclusive games to play on my PC.

samspartan

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
This is a lot of fuss over nothing. I don't see the big deal here...

The way I see it (and use it) is that the Store is just a place to go to get programs that offer a more fluid touch experience. It's just Windows 7 with a great touch experience. People need to calm down.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
^ guys its not about metro UI or console integration.

It's all about their new windows app market place.

Microsoft's policies and charges for certifying became expensive on the store. Thus affecting indie developers. It's fear for business. cutting off the middlemen. Steam move to linux was a smart move but games being build on OpenGL isn't really that productive when compare to DirectX and windows isn't porting that to linux any time soon.

Razer, Nvidia, AMD or who isn't in the distribution service isn't complaining. (yet) But i hope Microsoft works something out.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Right on! I don't know anyone who honestly wants Windows 8 anyhow accept for some tablets. As a PC platform, it's horrible. But closing up the PC itself... THAT's what made the PC work back in the day. It was an open platform... Otherwise Apple had it owned.

Plus, even M$'s own people and inhouse testers are complaining about Windows 8 Server (the few I know, this is what they test. They hate it absolutely.)... They are not listening to even their own personnel. The stupidity is almost mind boggling.

Kudos to developers putting a foot down!

samspartan

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]^ guys its about metro UI or console integration. It's all about their new windows app market place.[/citation]

I was not talking about metro (or whatever). "windows app marketplace" is called the Store. I realize this is a closed system but it is strictly for metro style apps. Applications made for touch screen devices that have no real advantage or sometimes no use at all on a pc. The Store has no effect on the desktop OS itself.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
The problem is; if we let microsoft have this one, there will never be another 'PC' os from them. They will all be closed. Any tricks they try to do to get people to accept Windows 8 need to be stomped out. It needs to fail worse then Windows ME (which now they deny ever even existed in the first place)...

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]samspartan[/nom]I was not talking about metro (or whatever). "windows app marketplace" is called the Store. I realize this is a closed system but it is strictly for metro style apps. Applications made for touch screen devices that have no real advantage or sometimes no use at all on a pc. The Store has no effect on the desktop OS itself.[/citation]

sorry about that, i was implying to the 1st comment at the time.

ozvip3r

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
It's just Microsoft sticking to tradition and making every 2nd OS a disaster and avoided at all cost by consumers. Me, Vista, 8. All these were skipped by most people making the path look more like, 2000, XP, 7, 9*.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Been using Windows 8 final build for a while now and honestly It is everything that I thought it was. They basically fragmented the user experience and "mixed" things up for the worse. The Metro Interface is barely functional as a whole, since you need to use the Desktop for almost everything serious you do on a PC/Laptop. What you get is a constant back and forth of Metroish lackluster functionality and the true Desktop which is just Windows 7. I can honestly imho this OS will not be well received. Now, there are some improvements under the hood, this thing is even faster than Windows 7 and the boot time and wake up time from sleep mode is just incredible, and I'm using a 5400rpm hard drive on my laptop. The Metro interface is one of the most innovative things I've seen done for TABLETS! This is where the OS should stay and it shows everything you use it on Windows 8, whoever thought of mixing these things up should get fired from Microsoft. Hell, they should hire me, I can test all their products and tell them what the consumer really wants. I really wish that Steve Ballmer would step aside, Microsoft needs a new image and a more innovative product, but Windows 8 isn't the answer, it should have stayed on the chalkboard.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
LOOOL!!! Take that, Faildows 8!

I'm truly glad that Persson did that.

c383c82f23c0a8742debb3f23f0c48f8.png

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Im more concerned that if the app store takes off in Windows 8, that down the road in later versions of Windows, they really do start to try and lock everyone out that refuses to use the store. Thats what has me worried.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]You go up against Microsoft you're going to lose....just how it is.[/citation]

As much as I thought that it was the superior product, the Zune against the iPod would imply otherwise.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]Im more concerned that if the app store takes off in Windows 8, that down the road in later versions of Windows, they really do start to try and lock everyone out that refuses to use the store. Thats what has me worried.[/citation]

Windows 7 will be supported for almost another decade. Windows 8 can do everything that Windows 7 can do as far as gaming is concerned and will be supported for a few years longer than Windows 7. That's hopefully enough time to convince MS not to be a dick about this.

super d spamalot

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
And when his competitors all flock to the Windows Store to make their games available for Surface and other Windows/RT based tablets, he'll change his mind in about 4 seconds.

As has already been stated, Windows Store is for METRO apps only. If you install Windows 8 on a non-tablet machine, you might as well just remove the Store from the metro screen. You don't need it and you would be silly to use it because you'll be installing all of your software the exact same way you did in Windows 7.

If he doesn't want to sell his software to RT/tablet users, that's his business I guess. It's also his loss, since tablet gaming is becoming huge and Microsoft is about to become the defacto king of tablet gaming over the next year due to ease of porting and DirectX.

You guys might as well get over it now, because it's going to happen and you're all going to feel pretty foolish as you're installing Windows 8.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Why do you have to "certify" a program to run on Windows 8? That's just ridiculous. Minecraft runs on XP, Vista, 7, and all sorts of other non-Windows OS solutions. Why "certify" it for use on 8? This sort of terminology and behavior from Microsoft scares me. I don't want them locking down all program development on the PC. By trying to certify and act as a gatekeeper to determine who gets recognition in their promotional materials and online store tells me Microsoft wants to pick the winners and losers. They want to set up an iOS-like walled garden. It's very very disturbing. This behavior has the potential to be massively destructive to the indie game scene, open source software efforts, and PC industry as a whole.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]You go up against Microsoft you're going to lose....just how it is.[/citation]

I beg to differ. When Micro$oft sees that they only had a couple million sales for Windows 8 and out of nowhere Steam's Hardware & Software Surveys show that the percentage of people running a Linux client exploded past 50% and Windows 8 is a measly 5% then we'll see a better OS the next time around.

It's already too late for me, already dual booting with Ubuntu and Windows 7, when Steam is successfully ported and supported with a good amount of games on Linux I'll no longer have to install Windows ever again, in the future this will save me around $100 with a free OPEN SOURCE OS.

redyellowblueblast

Honorable
May 21, 2012
The sheer stupidity that Microsoft posses is just staggering and I can't help but laugh hysterically at them for actually believing that Windows 8 is going to be successful. I can understand wanting to innovate and evolve Windows as a platform, but they are murdering the laptop/desktop form factor with Windows 8. (they're biggest customers.) And for what? Tackling the mobile market? They're giving up a market they currently dominate for a market that they have no grounds in.

The mobile market belongs to Apple and Google. Microsoft has no shot in this market. Even if Windows 8 is built with touch devices in mind, I'd much rather have a Android device over a Windows device.

Microsoft really should stop fooling around and get they're act together. They can't keep living in this fantasy land and pretend that everyone is going to love Windows 8.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Fair call. I'm using Win 8 for my development and testing but in no way am I encouraging people to dump Win 7, hell I have two home machines on Vista and one on XP. But I'm hell against software that runs only on Win 8 (WinRT or Metro or whatever they are calling it). It's the same foul taste when Microsoft ditched XP users when creating a new version of Direct X.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Valve Software, id Software and Blizzard have openly revealed their distaste for the blocky OS and its built-in storefront
So what are dev waiting for? do ur job now start support linux on all ur games, instead whining like a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.