Notebook HDDs repeatedly failing

juular__

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hi, my mother's laptop has gone through 3 HDDs in as many weeks, and I'm trying to figure out what my best and most cost efficient options are.

The first drive was the original for the computer and lasted about 10 months before failure. I swapped in a new drive, which failed within 24 hours. After trying to discover a connection between the failures, I ruled it a coincidence, got an exchange on the new drive, and swapped in a 3rd drive. This drive failed approximately a week later.

What could be causing these failures? I'm trying to come up with a cost efficient way to try getting this laptop functioning, as the alternative is giving up and getting a new machine. I understand it could be something wrong with the motherboard, but this would be a 'give up and trash the laptop' sort of problem. Could it be heat? The laptop runs excessively hot to be certain, so perhaps a cooling pad and a new drive would be an option?

Does anyone have any advice for me? I would greatly appreciate it.

It is most likely a heat or power problem. Make sure the cooling fans are operating, and make sure vents are not clogged with dust or pet hair.

Also, if this laptop runs Vista of Windows 7 turn off the Aero interface to reduce heat from the graphics chip.