Notebook suddenly restarts

Sep 29, 2018
Well, my notebook (a dell inspiron 3420) started to shut down randomly this week, prior to that, a few days ago, it had shut down itself and started to Beep ( looks like it wasnt detecting the RAM sticks), so i opened it and exchanged the RAM sticks (i'm using a 2gb stick and a 4 gb one), the computer did well for a while, then now it is restarting itself, specially when i'm gaming, when i'm using a browser or a DAW software it seems to work just fine, when i open some games (Dota 2, Defiance, League of legends, and some Old Need for speed games) it shuts down after a while, if i stand still, it keeps working, when i start to move arround, it eventually turns off
i did windows Memory diagnostic and the default diagnostic tool (that comes in the pc) and they pointed a RAM issue, then i tested each stick at once, the 4GB one worked fine, so i removed the 2GB stick, still, the problem persists, i'm not sure if it could be a Wattage issue (The battery needs replacement, but i tried with and without the battery), a RAM issue, cooler issue (i did some stress tests, the cpu went up to 85Cº but kept running, also i cleaned the Notebook vents to see if would help), or something else

Solution
Hello anmartins0072,

You say you have two different RAM sticks installed. You should check and make sure they're the same speed as different speed sticks in the same system can cause problems. Also since you mention it happens specially when your gaming it sounds like it may well be a heating issue or a power issue. If your laptop cable hold the PSU externally you should check the wattage on the label and then research your specs on a wattage calculator. If it's an AMD CPU installed n your notebook then I'd imagine it's a heating issue as Intel generally can hold stronger against higher temperatures.

- Alex
Sep 21, 2018
Hello anmartins0072,

You say you have two different RAM sticks installed. You should check and make sure they're the same speed as different speed sticks in the same system can cause problems. Also since you mention it happens specially when your gaming it sounds like it may well be a heating issue or a power issue. If your laptop cable hold the PSU externally you should check the wattage on the label and then research your specs on a wattage calculator. If it's an AMD CPU installed n your notebook then I'd imagine it's a heating issue as Intel generally can hold stronger against higher temperatures.

- Alex

Solution
Sep 29, 2018

Thanks, Just checked the ram speed, one stick (4GB one) is 800Mhz, and the other one (2GB) is 667Mhz. Regarding the thermal issue, it uses a i3 3110m processor (Dual core with 2.4gh), i already bought a thermal paste (it was with the default one, quite a while), still waiting for delivery, and about the power issue, im using the default ac that comes w/ the notebook
i just found it weird because the computer worked well untill last week, when i exchanged the ram sticks slots, not sure if it helps, but the laptop has some lights (turned on, one with a battery simbol which i assume is the energy light, Charging, and the wlan adapter light), and the one with a battery simbol sometimes flashes, i think it is suposed to be light up all the time, but i never paid any attention to these lights untill this week, also, even with the battery plugged, the batery simbol doesnt light up anymore, but for some reason, seems that the computer lasts longer when the battery is plugged.