[SOLVED] Nothing wrong but wont boot/fire up?

VEGSYO

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016
Hi
I recently bought pc components for the first time in my life and i am very excited but theres one problem it wont start .
I have
Mobo: B450m DS3H
Ram: 1x hyper X 8 gb DDR4 3000MhZ
PSU: Corsair CX550M
GPU: RX580 8gb pulse
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g
and some old hp case
now the case front panel connector isnt compatible with my mobo but i tried doing it with a screw driver but you can guess it didnt work.
I tested the psu on an old system the fan worked and everything so its not a cpu issue.
I can charge my phone with my mobo so its not fried or anything so i dont know what the problem is.
I had an old system in that case so it cant be a standoff issue and tried without a case on the non elctric plastic bag that comes with the mobo.
Please help i cant wait to start playing games on it.
Everything is brand new except case and gpu.

Solution
Update:
so i went to a store that fixes pc and stuff like that and the problem was from my motherboard so i had to buy a new one.
so in conclusion it was faulty mobo.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I can charge my phone with my mobo so its not fried or anything so i dont know what the problem is.
That doesn't indicate that the Motherboard is fully functional.

now the case front panel connector isnt compatible with my mobo
What case is it?

I would go through this guide ENITRELY first, even if you have covered steps already: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Following that I would breadboard the system entirely out of the case, and try to boot shorting the power pins again.

VEGSYO

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016

What case is it?

I would go through this guide ENITRELY first, even if you have covered steps already: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Following that I would breadboard the system entirely out of the case, and try to boot shorting the power pins again.
Yeah I did that and nope not even a sound or anything. I thought if I can charge my phone the. It doesn't mean it's fried or anything. And yeah I went over that list didn't really help. My last hope was booting while Motherboard was on the box like you said but nope I thought maybe the screwdriver isn't conductive so I even tried with a knife and scissor, don't worry I didn't bend anything.

VEGSYO

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016

What case is it?

For the case I don't really know it doesnt say, I bought a long time ago off some sketchy dude bit it didn't matter since it was the case at least so I thought.

Being that it's your first build, your case choice may be what is killing you here, and I'll tell you why:
  1. As you noticed, the power button/led connector does't match. HP has Asus (or whoever they use at the time) set the front panel pins exactly how HP wants then so that they can just plug in the connector they use on all their cases and move on. A motherboard you buy on it's own (that doesn't come but into a PC) can have connectors wherever the manufacturer decides to put them.
  2. Similar story for the mounts. A lot of matx HP boards I have worked with over the years have 5 mounting holes, so there are 5 standoffs in the case. Your Gigabyte board has 6. While depending on while spot you left empty, that could be a problem, especially since you are using a video card.

My recommendation would be to buy a new case for this built. Depending on where you live, you can get a very decent case without breaking the bank. Fractal Design is one low-cost brand I would recommend.

Reactions: VEGSYO

VEGSYO

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016
Being that it's your first build, your case choice may be what is killing you here, and I'll tell you why:
  1. As you noticed, the power button/led connector does't match. HP has Asus (or whoever they use at the time) set the front panel pins exactly how HP wants then so that they can just plug in the connector they use on all their cases and move on. A motherboard you buy on it's own (that doesn't come but into a PC) can have connectors wherever the manufacturer decides to put them.
  2. Similar story for the mounts. A lot of matx HP boards I have worked with over the years have 5 mounting holes, so there are 5 standoffs in the case. Your Gigabyte board has 6. While depending on while spot you left empty, that could be a problem, especially since you are using a video card.
My recommendation would be to buy a new case for this built. Depending on where you live, you can get a very decent case without breaking the bank. Fractal Design is one low-cost brand I would recommend.
I had my suspicions on the case i was going to buy a case anyways just thought since had the parts i would put it together now anyways thank you for your time.

VEGSYO

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016

Yeah so I bought a new case (aerocool bolt) and it still no sign of life and there is one Motherboard hole that's empty but I can't put in any stand offs there so I cant do anything about it.

Hard to tell from the video becase you brused right over it (I know I didn't ask for it), but it looks like you don't have anything plugged into the F_PANEL connectors on the motherboard (white plugs at the bottom of the board). If you do, and I am just missing it in the video, reverse the direction of the Power Switch connector. They only work in one direction.

VEGSYO

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016
Hard to tell from the video becase you brused right over it (I know I didn't ask for it), but it looks like you don't have anything plugged into the F_PANEL connectors on the motherboard (white plugs at the bottom of the board). If you do, and I am just missing it in the video, reverse the direction of the Power Switch connector. They only work in one direction.
nope didin't work

VEGSYO

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016
i know it looks like u havent plugged anything in but i actually did i plugged the power switch both sides didnt work. i dont have i shotred anythning or fried anything?

VEGSYO

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016
Update:
so i went to a store that fixes pc and stuff like that and the problem was from my motherboard so i had to buy a new one.
so in conclusion it was faulty mobo.

Solution