now or later

frodopants

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
i posted earlier last week about a new gaming rig (Xfire 2900xt/AMD 6000+), but this post is about whether or not i should build it around early september or wait a few more months.

the ati/amd platform is non negotiable really, so i'm just trying to see if i should go ahead and pull the trigger with a build now or hold off until around december or so. the extra time would let prices come down and allow vista to develop more completely, but i don't want to wait too long to a point when prices might jump again. i realize that pretty much once you build a comp, its obsolete within a week or two.

your thoughts are much appreciated.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I highly doubt that X2-6000 can go too much lower in price. Those processors are already around $160 on NewEgg... so how much more do you expect to save? $30-$40 over several months? Is several months of gaming goodness not worth that to you? People that were all excited over the Intel quad core CPU going to $266 were excited because that was around a $200 price drop just for waiting for a few weeks... it's clear why they chose to wait... you're in a different boat all together.

frodopants

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
its not really about the processor price, as i realize it is already low. the op is a little vague, so i should have been a bit more specific with regards to which components i'm hoping will drop in price. the video cards (hopefully) will come down, memory in general might drop a bit more as well.

the real question, then, would be is it worth waiting for AMD's new chipset with ddr3(?) and pci-e 2.0. will vista change significantly between now and then? i'm hoping to get as much longevity as i can out of this build without breaking the bank.

scubageek

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Well honestly if you wait till December I bet the Phenoms come out at a great price. If you are going to wait that long, at least give them a look.

Honestly if you aren't in a hurry, waiting would be the way to go, and give Phenom a look.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I totally agree the OP should be looking at next-gen AMD processors if he's going to hold out for several months, but his post only mentioned a the 6000+. Who wants to buy yestertech? Not counting VERY unusual events like the now-infamous Intel Q6600 price drop, there really is no good/bad time to buy... if you buy something the moment it is released you generally pay a premium... if you buy something the moment before it is replaced you generally receive a discount. Both scenarios have their advantages and disadvantages. Waiting on a next-gen AMD processor is like rolling the dice... no one is very sure on the performance level and their ability to deliver on time is definitely in question at this point. Caveat emptor!

On a semi-related note... I'm not one to say the sky is falling, but if AMD doesn't post some good quarterly results SOON they'll go under. You can't keep losing $500+ million quarter after quarter if you don't have a really large piggy bank. (hint: they don't)