NPD: Apple Owners Have More Money and Stuff

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

voxleo

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
And again on the other hand...

The next machine I buy/build will probably be a PC, because I like that I can mix and match components to keep it usable longer, but I'm considerably "geekier" than my mother. I *LIKE* tinkering with it (now that I know how.) But I speak a little binary and have a lot of time on my hands; if not, I would probably go Apple again.

The Mac mentality just seems different, more software oriented than hardware. (This from the blank stare I usually get from Mac users when I mention hardware related anecdotes...) So I wonder maybe if the PC/MAC rivalry thing is actually a reflection of software rather than hardware? I don't even know whats under the hood of an Apple these days...

voxleo

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Which is another thing to keep in mind from the article - could it be that Apple computers are more numerous in the household becuase upgrading requires a whole new machine rather than a piecemeal replacement program that keeps older machines up to date with upgradable bits? (This comment is being typed on a Sony VAIO I bought in 2000 or 2001 - I have several unused iMacs laying about the house that no one has touched for years.)

G

Maybe that's because when you have a windows machine you can upgrade it and keep using the same old machine for several years... with an Apple you use it for 6 months and then realize its obsolete, and when the next OS comes out you find you can't install it on your apple so you have to get a new one, and then you find out that every other apple user knows this so you realize you can't sell the old Apple computer for more than 20 bucks so you just stick it in a closet.

In the end you realize that yes, Apple owner are likely to have more computers, but not because they want to - its because the have to.

Which leads me to one question... which is the more green or environmentally friendly computer? A Windows machine you can use for 5 years or longer, or the Apple that you will have to chunk in a land fill or closet after 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.