Num Lock Blinking...

adik559

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
i have a computer here, i turned it on and the bios screen works, i checked how much memory was installed, looked at the hard drive, saw the drives i had, well, i changed the boot order because i wanted to reinstall the hard drive, come to find out that, the computer won't start, a little line like this, _ , just keeps blinking in the top left corner, and something else i saw, that is a first for me, num lock, light just kept blinking over and over, well, i did a little research about the light and all i found was, that it could be the cmos battery, so i went and bought one, replaced it, made sure it was in there, still same problem, i tried unplugging some of the DVD drives and still nothing, so now i'm a little lost, what should i do, any help is very much appreciative, thanks.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
First, remove the power plug, then remove the battery of the motherboard, then press the power to remove any remaining power in the caps. After that put everything back and you should have a working post and set up from bios.

adik559

Distinguished
May 22, 2010

OK, hold on i'll be right back to see if that works...

adik559

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Nope, nothing same thing, it did read the memory and saw the drives, it did say "cmos invalid checksum", i don't know if that means anything, the computer then restarted and the same thing happened.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Did you enter the bios when you sucessfully restarted? if you didn't you should, manually set the date and time and set the core speed as best you can. It sounds like either a hardware stability or a hardware failure issue. So just tinker with the bios.
Hope this solves it.

popatim

Titan
You need to actually go into the cmos/bios and set the parameters up again.
Getting into the bios is usually done by pressing the right key when it says to on your screen "Press xx to senter setup" is the typical message and the xx key is usually Delete or F1 (but can be others too)

If you miss pressing the key in time just restart and try again. I usually have to watch it go by once so I know what to press myself. Too many computers at home to have them all memorized. LOL

adik559

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
nope same thing, now i am curious to something, i honestly don't know the problem, but i am wondering, why does the num lock key blink? what would be the reason? Could it be one of the pc slots? maybe i should remove everything and see what happens? could it be the power supply? could it be because the hard drive had windows xp installed but from another computer?

TRENDING THREADS