Nvidia 260.63 Beta Driver Offers Improved Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
This driver fixed GTA 4's flickering shadow problem when using SLI for me, also noticed a improvement in performance across the board in many games not even listed here.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
This may be so, but nvidia has never needed to install anything but the drivers for their hardware in conjunction with the control panel while ati insists on giving you the option to install useless junkware or free trials... the reason for them to need a "customized" install just so i can deselect said junk and audio drivers...

G

I really hope it's better, I had to revert to old driver since 258.96 caused so many dx9 crashes (480 card both on win7 and XP).

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
What? They finally made a driver package that removes the old drivers instead of screwing up your system? What year is it?

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
@stifle: How about YOU trying to make an installation package to overwrite the system's critical files without making a mess?? You should be more thankful that you have new drivers that install seamlessly most of the time and works.

spunkymunky

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
The installer worked very well at removing some old driver remnants, though many were still left. I have a difficult time with installs since I Acronis universal restored to a new system, nvidia drivers were the worst. But since driver sweeper has not been updated in quite some time it is better than nothing. Of course, still need to safe mode install for best results.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]ggman[/nom]no GTX 470 love?[/citation]
The GTX480/470 are very similar, in that they're both based on gf100. I would think that the GTX470 would experience similar performance gains.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]stifle[/nom]What? They finally made a driver package that removes the old drivers instead of screwing up your system? What year is it?[/citation]
They were not removing drivers from the system at all so they could not "screw up" the system. More over, I understand that technology purist would say "always uninstall old drivers first", but if you system does not have any problems, THERE IS NO NEED of doing that, not with NVIDIA drivers (not sure about ATI). I never had any issues just to run their drivers, they install quite fine without uninstalation of the old drivers. And judging by boards NVIDIA drivers are usually superior in quality and have less problems than ATI drivers.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I second that - have both... prefer nvidia polish. - i remember 10.6 or 7 catalyst actually stated in the readme that it causes the display not to function after install (for win7 64)... wtf ive never seen something like that in a PUBLIC release, sheesh (im still kinda pissed about that release - cant ya tell?)

Moores Law

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
That's some pretty nice theoretical performance boost, got to hand it to Nvidia when it comes to driver support they know what they're doing.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]Moores law[/nom]That's some pretty nice theoretical performance boost, got to hand it to Nvidia when it comes to driver support they know what they're doing.[/citation]

A lot of similar (theoretical) performance increases were seen in the first few releases of ATI's 10.x drivers as well. When every new driver release somehow increases performance (again) by 5-15%, it starts to look a little odd.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Looks good. Although I am currently running ATI I can say I used to safe mode, remove old, reboot safe mode, install new. For the last 4 years I just install over the top and have had zero issues on a 7950gt, 8800gt, 4850, 5870. nvidia and ati both make good drivers imo, I used to say nvidia was more stable but the ati have been smooth for me the last two years at least.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]compfreak93[/nom]Looks very similar to ATI.[/citation]
That's hitting below the belt there given that ati's well known for having the worst driver support of..well pretty much any pc component.

Status
Not open for further replies.