Nvidia 3D Vision Vs. AMD HD3D: 18 Games, Evaluated

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaycee

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Well, I for one am glad to see the graphics card makers are continuing to follow the "split the market, screw ourselves and everyone else" system they have been, rather than a "grow the market, everyone wins" method.

Otherwise, how would we compare our piss streams?

cleeve

Illustrious

+1 for TRVTH

[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]Would it kill Tom's to use high-resolution pop-up pics? It's nearly impossible to discern any differences in detail or artifacts when comparing such low-resolution images. C'mon...1024 x 317? Seriously?[/citation]
I'm rather sure they did that to make cross-viewing less uncomfortable. The larger cross-view images are, the further you have to either cross your eyes or distance yourself from the screen to view them. I suppose it might have been nice for them to include larger shots as well, but most of the 3D misalignments here should stand out even at low resolutions.

I think 3D is quite cool, and support for it is getting better, but it's still not supported as well as it should be by most developers. Aside from with portable devices like the 3DS, stereoscopic gaming is still something of a niche market that probably won't become relatively mainstream until the hardware and software support become more widespread. Perhaps the next generation of consoles will require all their games to include proper stereoscopy support, making native support for it on PCs the standard as well. I'm guessing it will be at least another couple years before you can take any newly released game and have it work properly in 3D without reducing settings and having to bear with visual anomalies.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]cryoburner[/nom]I'm rather sure they did that to make cross-viewing less uncomfortable. The larger cross-view images are, the further you have to either cross your eyes or distance yourself from the screen to view them. [/citation]

Bingo! +1

Badelhas

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Cleeve wrote :

A GTX 570 is even overkill at 720p (1280x720).

A GTX 470 or 560 should be ample. I actually test on a 3D Vision projector, and I use a 470. never had any frame rate issues whatsoever.

have fun, BTW. Big screen gaming is amazing in 3D, you should try Burnout Paradise... a total blast!

Are you sure? The guy at 3D Vision Blog (great place to learn about this also) told me that some games, like metro 2033, will use the second 570 in 3D Vision mode. The idea is to game with everything maxed out, AA included, so I can somehow improve the already low resolution

Badelhas

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]Thorfkin[/nom]Thanks for the awesome article! It was gratifying to find out you guy's experienced some of the same things I ran into with my own 3d setup. Particularly with World of Warcraft's water rendering. I didn't know virtual 3d mode fixed the problem though. I will give that a try Rig: Panasonic Viera 58 inch, Radeon 6870, Tridef driver.I've been running most games at 720p. Even though my system can run the games fine in 3d at 1080p, my eyes just aren't up to the task these days. At 1080p I can't read player names when sitting on my couch playing WoW. I guess I should get glasses or something =DThe only game I run at 1080p in 3d is Fallout New Vegas. The text rendered in FNV seems to be the same size regardless of the resolution I use so I can still read it comfortably 1080p. I wish more game designers would do that.I haven't run into the same problem you guys have with Deus: Ex Human Revolution. I did have to max out the depth setting in game but the 3d seems to be working fine for me. The only time it goes flat for me is during the pre-rendered cut scene videos.[/citation]

Are you sure about that? Remember its 3D Vision, FPS will be cut in half. The owner of the "3D Vision Blog" (great site to learn about this also) told me that some guys will in fact use the second 570, like metro 2033. My objective is to be at the max 60Fps per eye with everything maxed out, including 4xAA so I can somehow reduce the impact of beeing in such low resolution. I cant seem to find any benchmarks of 3D Vision @ 720p. By the way, when will Toms Hardware publish the article about 3D Vision Benchmarks?
Cheers

G

I have a 3d system using the 590 card and an AMD 1100GT with my 50" 1080p Viera and some of those games are just awesome in 3D. I am replaying some of them just because it's a whole new feel and look. I LIKE IT!!!

G

Had 3D vision...got bored of it...I couldn't game for more than 30mins when my eyes got f... well u know. That is coming from a PC enthusiast that can spend like 10 hours all the way on Skyrim...never got tired that much...as someone previously said it is soooo distracting when gaming where it doesn't have fun...everyone that supports it's better than regular gaming he just doesn't want to accept that he wasted his money. Firstly I blamed it that I had to adapt to them...after a month I just couldnt take it...the 3d vision glasses and IR receiver got shoved in a shelf and left there forever :p...

francomg

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Anonymous, don't think that everyone sees the world with the same eyes. Maybe you just didn't play enough to get used to 3D, maybe your eyes are not really that good you know??? Don't assume things just because you didn't like doesn't mean we all think like you.
I've been using 3D Vision for 3 straight years and I can't stand 2 gaming anymore. I now feel eye strain If I play in 2D, I mean, I get bored easily, just like you in 3D.
Anyway, I'm not a geek and I don't play 10 hours straight, I have a wife, work and I got to the gym, so I never play more than 2 or 3 hours consecutive.
No one should play 3D for more than 3 hours straight.... If you like to spend a day playing games, just do it in 2D.
Have a good one.....

Status
Not open for further replies.