Nvidia: AMD's Lead in DirectX 11 is ''Insignificant''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
People tend to upgrade their graphics long before they need to anyway. I don't really care what nVidia says but I am happy to wait a few months so that I KNOW I will be getting the best architecture. I believe that most people who have rushed out and bought a 5xxx series GPU from ATi are one of maybe 3 things...
1) Desperate for a new build and took the imediate best card available.
2) Are ATi fanboys who would buy ATi anyway.
3) Are the type of PC enthuisiast that upgrades their GPU every 9-12 months anyway.

Now I have no issue at all with those who fit in to cat 1. Maybe I would have done the same thing had I NEEDED a GPU right now. As for Cat 2, well there is nothing you can do about fanboys whether they are nVidia OR ATi. As for Cat 3... well as the ATi 5xxx series has been out now for a couople months and nVidia won't be launching for maybe another 3 months it will only be 3-6 months until you upgrade again and if FERMI is as good as nVidia claim then I think you won't think twice about going with nVidia at that time.

So I still play by my long term rules. Get the best GPU I can afford at the time I want to buy, unless there is an massive release due within the next couple of months at which point I'll wait and see. Unless I have a GPU failure and NEED to upgrade ASAP.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Crap like this is why I didn't wait for Fermi and bought an ATI 5850. When's the last time you heard ATI call a new graphics API "insignificant"?Slowly but surely, Intel and Nvidia's actions are turning me into an AMD fanboy. Keep at it guys... your marketing's working! (for AMD).[/citation]

Isn't that the point though? THE MARKETING... funny that you should credit AMD/ATi for their MARKETING and not their advanced technology.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Personally I just want the best I can afford. It will be funny though should nVidia release their DX11 cards and they blow ATi cards out of the water or even just beat them on all levels... I wonder how many people seen here slagging nVidia off will be back apologising or just claiming that they backed nVidia all along.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
by the time they release this card ati would probably have most of the kinks out of there fab process out of the way (or should i say tsmc?), and who's to say that ati wouldn't release a more aggressively clocked option, or just drop down the price range to dominate everything but the top tear (assuming fermi actually comes out with a justifiable preform advantage). another problem for nvidia is if they run into the same yield issues as ati, if this is the case then the entire nvidia line would be in major shortage...

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Wow, honestly I didn't expect this kind of reaction from people.

Nvidia is right, the fact that AMD has the lead as of now with DX11 and new GPUs isn't very significant. Although AMD will gain most sales from lack of a product from Nvidia for the time being, like the article said they are looking at the long run. DX11 is only marketing at this point, there isn't any DX11 games yet to even take advantage of it. I'm sure by the time Fermi comes out there might be couple DX11 games, maybe...

Nvidia is taking more time to refine and make a better GPU/GPGPU. Only time will tell on how their new GPUs will perform, but I hate to see people get so antsy and say stupid crap about Nvidia because they chose to release a couple months later.

**I am not a Nvidia fan-boy, I actually want to buy a couple of 5850s for my next build. Just looking at the article from a different perspective**

surrept420

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Too many silly ATI fanboys on this site. 2 months for a damn card that supports a technology that isn't even in any decent games yet, IS insignificant. AMD went for the the "I got it out there first tactic" and that certainly doesn't mean jack to the end user who doesn't have any DX11 games to use their shiny new ATI card with. Nvidia needs to work on their pricing and their public displays of affection for the competitors but thats about it.

And to those complaining about nvidia driver support......really?.....I mean really? Wow....amazing.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Insignificant? Maybe or maybe not. My old video card died two weeks after ATI released their 57xx series and with no competition on the horizon from Nvidia, it was a very easy decision to buy the 5750.

I'm surprised that Nvidia didn't have anything new to offer when Windows 7 shipped.

The funny thing is, ATI "might" only be a few months away with their 6000 series cards by the time Nvidia gets fermi out, unless it gets released within the next month, or two. If it takes till april/may, then the 6000 series ati cards will be out in august or september. With the way performance has been increasing latly from one series to another with ATI, that would be my main concern if I were Nvidia. Not really the 5000 series performance, it would be the theoratical 6000 series performance that Nvidia should be aiming to beat.

I expect the new Nvidia cards to surpass the current 5000 series though, because this is the way it usually works. If it don't, then there would be major problems for Nvidia. BTW. I myself have a HD5870 as my main card, and I use a 8800gt as a physx card. I like both companies, but I don't like that I have to use "special" drivers to get them working together. lol. Big mistake on Nvidia's part if you ask me. If someone was going to buy an ATI card anyway, why cut them off from using a Nvidia card for Physx. I mean it is still money in their pocket, right?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
"According to Computerworld, Hara also talked about how DirectX 11 was the start of the next big evolution in the API, offering tessellation for smooth curves and support for multi-core processors."

HOLD ONE SECOND. wasn't nVidia all like "yo dx11 ain't shit" a few months ago????

endrewsmith

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]HansVonOhain[/nom]Show offs lol[/citation]
This guy needs a bit of reality check. AMD has released their dx10.1- very much similar to dx11- product long time ago. His team is late not just by few months but by couple of years. It's very significant. I'd say - All talk no product makes green team bullshitter.

Lans

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
What worries me the most about Nvidia is fact is just trash talking and give absolutely nothing new on their up coming product. I mean before they (and AMD) would at least release/leak a doctored up hand picked and tuned power point slide showing how great their latest and greatest product will be?

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The power to destroy a benchmark is insignificant next to the power of the Fermi."

-nVidia

G

That makes sense. ATI's move is more of a marketing move. Does it mean much if they were first? Of course not. It's very similar to apple's methods of making themselves appear ahead of the game when in truth they are far behind pc. Example, I've had an i7 based pc at 3.8ghz for a solid year now that is about twice as fast as typical core2duo imacs costing $1600. And it only cost $830. In fact it's a bit faster than $2500 pros. Now in 4th quarter, 1 year late to the game, apple is trying to pretend it's i7 is the latest thing and ups the price to $2000 etc. But it won't really change market share much one way or another anyway. It's just marketing etc. - Ok, not a perfect analogy since ATI really did support direct x 11 first. But having the initial support will do little to give major performance differences or even look much different. And even if it does have great features, the time difference is only a couple of months.

It's an implication that it will be wonderful, and ati knows this is important to the consumer, and marketing even if it's not really that important. Especially for 2 months difference. That said, I look at the bottom line. If at the time I purchase a card the ATI is best I will likely consider it. If the Nivida is best, I consider that. I also may look at prices and decide what's worth it to me.. .

berserker29

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Not a fanboi of either side here, but it really bugs me when people get obvious facts wrong.

How is over 3 months - and counting - only 60 days?

moonwave

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Ok, I'm reposting this under my other account since I can't seem to get it working, so if it's a duplicate, sorry..

That makes sense. ATI's move is more of a marketing move. Does it mean much if they were first? Of course not. It's very similar to apple's methods of making themselves appear ahead of the game when in truth they are far behind pc. Example, I've had an i7 based pc at 3.8ghz for a solid year now that is about twice as fast as typical core2duo imacs costing $1600. And it only cost $830. In fact it's a bit faster than $2500 pros. Now in 4th quarter, 1 year late to the game, apple is trying to pretend it's i7 is the latest thing and ups the price to $2000 etc. But it won't really change market share much one way or another anyway. It's just marketing etc. - Ok, not a perfect analogy since ATI really did support direct x 11 first. But having the initial support will do little to give major performance differences or even look much different. And even if it does have great features, the time difference is only a couple of months.

It's an implication that it will be wonderful, and ati knows this is important to the consumer, and marketing even if it's not really that important. Especially for only 2 or 3 months difference. That said, I look at the bottom line. If at the time I purchase a card the ATI is best I will likely consider it. If the Nivida is best, I consider that. I also may look at prices and decide what's worth it to me.. .

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Kevin Parrish[/nom]Hara also called AMD's 60-day gain "insignificant" which really sound like fighting words. We love a good fight.[/citation]
Now Kevin, that's a way to end a article. >:)
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]So I still play by my long term rules. Get the best GPU I can afford at the time I want to buy, unless there is an massive release due within the next couple of months at which point I'll wait and see. Unless I have a GPU failure and NEED to upgrade ASAP.[/citation]
Amen brotha!

I'm hoping for great things from Fermi.

moonwave

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Looking comments over more carefully, it's amusing how the article pointing out a slight positive for ati, has drawn mostly ati fanboys, lol.

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]Yeah. Because 3D graphics (which virtually noone has, and won't for many years) is definitely more important than DX11.[/citation]
At least not the method that nvidia is trying to do it in, which isn't true 3D. It's a really half-arsed attempt at faux 3D. Not to start a flamefest here but, isn't it interesting how nvidia degrades the importance of real gains in graphics such as DX10.1 and DX11, but meanwhile thinks their faux 3D and PhysX gimmicks are somehow earth-shattering when all these gimmicks are doing is holding the industry back? In fact it seems that their ultimate wish is to keep graphics where they are now.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
nVidia has been saying some pretty stupid things lately like "Graphics aren't that important". I think this new press release is positive. Before they were downplaying which meant that didn't have the tech. Now that they are mentioning tesselation and DX11 in a positive light, they probably have gotten over the hurdle of its implementation.

Right now the problem in PC Graphics is nVidia, they made DX10 implementation moot, failed to properly support DX10.1, and are late with a DX11 part. If they get their act together, we might see some good things.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I wouldn't say 800k+ shipped cards during few weeks insignificant.
If there are not problems with production yields and if ati didnt underestimated demand that number could be 3-5 times bigger.

Its maybe not that big issue with old PCs, but if user getting new build with W7, he most likely want DX11 card right now instead of waiting 3+ months for nvidia to get one or changing card later.

Status
Not open for further replies.