Nvidia: AMD's Lead in DirectX 11 is ''Insignificant''

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
ATI could have had an enormous lead if supply was up to demand. Right now, they have wasted much of their advantage compared to the big enemy.
I'm not all too concerned about nvidia. They haven't released DX11, but that hasn't seen market adoption yet apart from a small number of mediocre games like Dirt 2. Plus, they still seem to be in virtually all pre-built brand name PC's, even when ATI has a better option in the same price range...

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Forgot to mention Nvidia makes many gamers including me angry when talking about gaming performance on GPU as not important and rebranding same card for 3 generations and trying to fool people and sell it as new model.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]I think the only thing keeping them afloat is the stigma ATi got from years of poor performance and drivers from the pre-AMD years.[/citation]
No, I think it's because absolute majority of buyers have little to no knowledge in this area.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]...and your blocking of PhysX if there is a competitors card in the system...[/citation]
Hm, in Age of Dragon it works for me on ATI CPU + GPU.

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
LOL! do you guys remember that fake Fermi sample?! i do!

nVidia is turning into another Apple! if i see nVidia ads on tv "nVidia guy vs ATI guy" i wont be surprised!

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]ATI could have had an enormous lead if supply was up to demand. [/citation]

Isn't Nvidia using the same fab? In which case, they -as well- will have major supply issues, and already late into the game? So... Say that Fermi flops and isn't up to the competition. ATi has already been getting cards out, and is working on upping supply. Now say that Fermi is a great success! They won't have near enough supply for demand, prices will skyrocket, and ATi will be sitting there, with more supply on their hands, and they'll even be able to lower prices somewhat, perhaps.

Honestly... In the beginnings of Fermi, unless Nvidia can somehow conquer supply issues, I'm not sure how ATi can completely lose here.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Well, I'd say they should be 'doubly' not worried by AMD given the complete lack of availability of AMD's high end dx 11 cards, the 5850 and 5870

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
Well, I'd say they should be 'doubly' not worried by AMD given the complete lack of availability of AMD's high end dx 11 cards, the 5850 and 5870

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]xrodney[/nom]Forgot to mention Nvidia makes many gamers including me angry when talking about gaming performance on GPU as not important and rebranding same card for 3 generations and trying to fool people and sell it as new model.[/citation]

None of which has any relevence to this article... in fact it talks about how important nVidia now see DX11. TBH they were right to skip 10.1 in the end, as it had virtually no take up by third parties, and lasted, what, a few seconds until replaced? Plus, the fact that one of the big things in DX11 is GPGPU support, it kind of vindicates nVidia's focus on GPGPU in the first place. I'm still looking at a 5850 though... if they ever become available before the new geforce... which is looking increasingly unlikely.

juliom

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]ATI could have had an enormous lead if supply was up to demand. Right now, they have wasted much of their advantage compared to the big enemy.I'm not all too concerned about nvidia. They haven't released DX11, but that hasn't seen market adoption yet apart from a small number of mediocre games like Dirt 2. Plus, they still seem to be in virtually all pre-built brand name PC's, even when ATI has a better option in the same price range...[/citation]

Dirt 2 a mediocre game? Are you crazy?

kslghost

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I don't really know anything about the supposed marketing snafu's that Nvidia has made, but do people expect this guy to say "Oh crap, ATI's way ahead of and we're screwed senseless - we're folding up and going home and giving up."? He's a PR guy who needs to talk the company up to investors, not a neutral party. This isn't even "marketing," he's just answering a writer's questions.

spigias

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Maybe Nvidia thinks that making a fake Fermi Gpu and presenting them to people at GPU Technology Conference, is more important than actually making a real working gpu.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]The Germans no we Frenchman are not worried for we have the invincible Maginot line to protect us against invasion.France shall never fall.[/citation]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for giving us all a big happy laugh!!!

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
nVidia is bashing other companies because they have nothing to release. In their current position, they have 2 choices....get the product to market, or fight to keep their customers on the hook until they finally get their product to market. GTX260-GTX295 still have plenty of power...but consumers crave new and exciting products on a regular schedule. Missing a product launch at this time of year can be hazardous to a company's health. Intel sticks to their strict launch schedule to ensure they keep customers and get every shot at profit. Even Intel, with all their money, won't miss a chance at making more money during a holiday season if they have a launch scheduled. Fermi is expected to finally launch sometime in March...which puts them releasing just in time for HD5000 series refresh...which they can't predict the performance of. At this rate, maybe I'll pickup 2 more HD4850 and give Tri-Fire a shot...lol. Gotta perform better than my single GTX275 and with roughly equal cost at this point.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]They didn't take a huge hit in being months late, behind, and horrid drivers with DirectX 10.1. Why would he worried about being 2 full APIs behind with there flagship cards?I think the only thing keeping them afloat is the stigma ATi got from years of poor performance and drivers from the pre-AMD years.[/citation]

AMD take over actually hurt ATI, they didn't help them as you appear to be implying. In fact AMD has been milking ATI to save their own asses.

Nvidia is sounding a lot like AMD when Intel's Core 2 came out before they accepted the role as number 2 in CPU arena.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]shut up Nvidia...and most of all your buggy crappy drivers...[/citation]

Interesting... last time i checked, it was better to use Windows default video drivers than use the ATI Crap-alyst drivers AMD/ATI still puts out... but i'm guessing you like the artifacting in your games. :)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]Who cares about ATI[/citation]
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]I'd have bought one already if they were available.[/citation]
Well, obviously you care, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to buy one.
DUH!!!

ripperko

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I'm holding off on my next upgrade to see how fermi will perform. Nvidia sounds really confident with what they got. If anything it will drop the prices of ATI 5 series a little bit.
Right now my 4850 crossfire setup plays MOST games maxed out, game developers haven't really pushed pc gaming forward due to console ports. Hopefully 2010 pc gaming will shine.

konjiki7

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
ATI has a great head start in the dx11 arena. While nvidia scrambles to produce hardware. Ati already has real word results and can learn from this 5000s series launch. Fermi will be launch 2/3 quarter 2010 Ati's revised version of the current 5000s will be out or maybe even a paper launch of the 6000s.

Stupid announcements like this hurt their cause more then it helps....

hannibal

Distinguished
Well Ferni is faster (it has to be, because it's bigger chip) If it is not faster, Nvidia is really in trouble. The big question is how much faster and how much more expensive it will be!
Other thing is the question about the next ATI card... When it does come out compared to Nvidia.
To ATI it was not insignicant when they were late with treir 2xxx series.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Drag0nR1der[/nom]None of which has any relevence to this article... in fact it talks about how important nVidia now see DX11. TBH they were right to skip 10.1 in the end, as it had virtually no take up by third parties, and lasted, what, a few seconds until replaced? Plus, the fact that one of the big things in DX11 is GPGPU support, it kind of vindicates nVidia's focus on GPGPU in the first place. I'm still looking at a 5850 though... if they ever become available before the new geforce... which is looking increasingly unlikely.[/citation]

Nvidia is partially at fault for DX 10.1 never taking hold. Obviously it's effect was somewhat negated by them simply not support it. And then in addition they had some developers patch it out of games for them. Are any of you familiar with the fact that Assassins creed supported DX 10.1 until it was miraculously got patched out. Weird huh? Wonder if it had anything to do with the Nvidia logo you see when you first launch the game.

In the past I've dabbled into both manufacturers GPU. My first build was with a GForce FX 5200, I then went to Radeon 9800 Pro, then 8800 GTS and now I'm running a 4870. But I have to admit I got burned by my 8800 GTS, I bought it first gen then like a month later the 8800 GT was released with a new GPU that was both faster and cheaper. I knew buying first gen was probably a mistake but I still can't help being spiteful. Add on to the fact that Nvidia has been rebranding, locking up physix. Lastly the only reason I bought a 4870 was because my 8800 GTS died, much like my fx 5200, and yet my radeon 9800 pro is still plugging along in another system.

I'll concede that the 9800 Pro and 4870 were both 2nd gen at the time of purchase so that probably has something to do with their reliability. Regardless, facts are facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.