Nvidia Announces GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2080, 2070 (Developing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Nemesh

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
$1200? What are they smoking? Sure, a lot of people will still buy them, but the VAST majority of those looking to upgrade their 1080ti cards will NOT. This pricing is going to bite them in the a$$.

Unless AMD has a GPU that can perform equally to it (expectations are around 15-25% better than the predecessors) and has the same features to perform this new tech nVidia wont be stopped price wise.

pyro411

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I wonder how much of that increased price is thanks to politics due to a certain someone here in the USA *shakes fist* I'll be interested in seeing what a single 2080Ti could do against a 1070Ti SLI.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

It looks like Navi could still be a year away though based on current rumours. Even if price/performance rumours are true, that still leaves Nvidia quite a bit of time to release a GTX 2060 and probably sell it at a premium (relative to GTX 1060/RX 580 price) for a while, and then drop the price to compete once Navi's out.

bignastyid

Titan
Live stream showed $999 for the 2080Ti, $699 for the 2080 and $499 for the 2070. So looks like a heavy tax on pre orders as the prices Andrew posted are what Nvidia has on the pre-order page.
And imho the reference design looks good

versetti

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015
$499 for 2070 - typo @ "The GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition sell for $799 and the 2080 Ti Founders Edition will cost $1,199. Both are available for pre-order now and will ship Sept. 20/ The GeForce RTX 2070 will cost $599.99"

Giroro

Splendid

More like it WASTES a lot of resources, not to mention all the die space dedicated to even-more-useless-to-gaming AI features. Maybe it's good for a company like Pixar when they upgrade their render farm, but it's going to remain totally useless for gaming, and doubly useless for VR.
Eventually you're going to see some games with a "slightly shiner glass" checkbox that will drop your FPS from 100+ down to 30 (or you'll see dedicated ray tracing games that look like they added enhanced lighting to the PS3), but I can't imagine many developers spending the literal years it will take to bring their engine tech up to that level.
Ray tracing is always going to fall on the wrong side of the "visual fidelity vs resources used" curve. Building out hardware to solve the problem faster doesn't change the fact that it was never a rendering method that was intended to be efficient enough for gaming. Yes, at the highest-end ray tracing looks a lot better than what current gaming tech can render, but "highest end" means a room full of dedicated hardware spending hours to render a single frame. These cards are not going to provide anything anywhere close to that in real time.

spyrosn2006

Prominent
Aug 20, 2018
Guys, chill. They know what they're doing. You can't expect them to render all the stockpiled 1080s and 1070s irrelevant overnight. Give it a bit of time -- when they've milked the Pascals for every last dollar, and with the advent of the holiday season (whichever comes first), I predict there will be some price drops.

Wishful thinking? Maybe, but in the meantime I think we'll see some real bargains in Pascal cards in a very short while. Which is what we were shouting for all these years, or am I wrong? :)

Yeah, no. I bought an MSI 1080 Duke OC last year for $500 and it's a beast. I don't see the point in a potentially $300 price gap for their new features. I also have trouble believing that the 2070 is going to significantly outperform the Titan xP.

Status
Not open for further replies.