Nvidia Boards ‘Star Wars’ Hype Train With Collector’s Edition Titan Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hardware under the hood remains unchanged, with a GP102 leveraging all of its available resources (3,840 CUDA cores, 12GB GDDR5X) and set with the same clock speeds and memory bandwidth as the standard Titan Xp. The price is also the same, with the Collector’s Edition Titan Xp fetching $1,200.

Oh look at the pretty lights and it's JJ Abram's variant Star Wars themed! Mom & Dad I want one for Christmas! LOL. I needed a laugh today. (JJ and Disney destroyed the Star Wars franchise). I can sort of see doing a limited edition Star Wars theme based series line of the 1060 through 1080Ti line, but not a Titan. How utterly stupid from Nvidia. Do they even read comments on tech forums like this? The idea of a collectors edition or theme based piece of hardware is not in and of itself silly, as it's been very successful with Xbox and Playstation (Star Wars Battlefront, Call Of Duty, etc.).

Considering it's a GPU that costs as much as many people's entire rig build, I'd not expect a $1,200 GPU to have a lot of buyers.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

It appears to be the same price as the Titan Xp without the sticker. The question is who other than 3D modeling professionals buys a Titan Xp when the 1080ti is so much less expensive?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Wealthy gamers who want the absolute fastest HW and the tiny sliver of an advantage that they think it might give them.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

I've talked to just one pro user for whom the extra RAM is actually worth it. Definitely a tiny niche. Even then, the guy in question is weighing up whether three 1080 Tis might be better than 2x Xp. The Xp is 1150 UKP in the UK, so two is more than twice the cost of three 1080 TIs, with some change to spare.

Ian.

Immitem

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

As a CGI artist myself, Nvidia has pretty much shot itself in the foot. I did get a Titan XM for the purpose of both texture painting in Substance Painter while previewing the results in Maya (until the former got official Firepro support) and rendering in Redshift with the extra VRAM being a godsend but I only ever used between 8-10GB of it for my most intense models. The headroom offered by a 1080ti would probably be more than enough for most amateur/freelance artists rendering the Titan Xp irrelevant.

fehl83

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
Very cool....but who would buy this? Lower the price of the card for a promotional period, sell a bunch of these cards, end the promotion. If they made this card close to the 1080 or even 1080ti price I could see thinking about it.

Hopefully, AMD doesn't go belly-up so these prices come down.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

I agree, though I wouldn't class the guy I talked to as an amateur/freelance; his roots lie in Flame/Smoke/Inferno, though now it's mostly Nuke, still some Flame, and a few others. I told him that if the extra 1GB really did make that much of a difference, then surely there's an argument for getting the Quadro with twice the RAM, but nevertheless the cost is still a factor as now he's growing his own company.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.