Nvidia Boasts New Laptop GPU With DX11 Crysis 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Gaming on laptops STILL doesn't make any logical sense. You're paying a big ass premium, just to be tied to a wall outlet.

What, do you think one day you'll decide "Hey, It's a beautiful, sunny day outside! I think I'll go to the park and play some Crysis on a park bench"

G

This thing should be nuclear powered if you want to take it outside

Diabolix

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I think its awesome, go to LAN'S with a laptop and you can still play everything, but yea the price would be a negative point :)

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Gaming on laptops STILL doesn't make any logical sense. You're paying a big ass premium, just to be tied to a wall outlet. What, do you think one day you'll decide "Hey, It's a beautiful, sunny day outside! I think I'll go to the park and play some Crysis on a park bench"[/citation]

While I myself do not do gaming on laptop, I can see why people do it. It is not that they want to play it on a park bench, it is because they need laptop, period. There are two ways to go from there, 1) you buy laptop (and you may need good laptop anyway) AND desktop (that includes monitor, by the way) and 2) You pay premium for laptop.

The first option is not cheaper (though it gives more powerful and more upgradable PC, but not everyone cares) and the first option requires that you have allocated space for PC, and for laptop, which is not always possible for people (like students in dorm). So option 2 is quite often cheaper and more preferable for space constrain reasons.

JerseyFirefighter

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Gaming on laptops STILL doesn't make any logical sense. You're paying a big ass premium, just to be tied to a wall outlet. What, do you think one day you'll decide "Hey, It's a beautiful, sunny day outside! I think I'll go to the park and play some Crysis on a park bench"[/citation]

You're being completely short sighted... I would rather drop 2k on a laptop I can take ANYWHERE and play games.. I have considerable down time at work, I visit in laws for extended weekends (eckk) So having the ability to throw my sager in a bag and frag wherever I go as opposed to being linked to a desktop only is worth it to me.

On the flip side to these SLI monstrosities (which I do not own for that reason) is the fact these portable powerhouses need TWO AC adapters to be plugged in at once... My sager's power brick is the size of an actual brick already.. I dont need two of them.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
This is my first desktop. For about 10 years laptops were the only way I gamed and, due to space limitation and frequency of moving/travel, owning a desktop was out of the question.

I would have definitely bought this back then.

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009

I'm gaming in my bed while deployed in Kuwait on an Asus G73 that ran about $1100 last April, and several buddies of mine here play games on their sub-$1000 Toshiba laptops. We even game together and jump on self-hosted L4D servers that are essentially lag-free and smooth as butter.

And the premium I paid for this device wasn't that bad. $1100 for performance that would've ran at least (at the time of purchase) $700-$800 in a desktop. So $300 to $400 to be able to take my gaming anywhere in the world? For people whose lifestyle involves frequent travel, that is not even worth the debate. On top of that, summer of last year my laptop gamed perfectly fine hooking it up to a 24" monitor for gaming when I wasn't on the go. That being said, upcoming titles like BF3 and Skyrim will certainly force my hand and I'll be building a new desktop.

The only downside is that laptops are difficult, impractical and nearly impossible to make useful upgrades to. However that is less and less of a factor these days, as games have more or less hit a performance requirement threshold due to consoles being the old ball-n-chain as far as how far developers can push hardware.

[citation][nom]JerseyFirefighter[/nom]You're being completely short sighted... I would rather drop 2k on a laptop I can take ANYWHERE and play games.. I have considerable down time at work, I visit in laws for extended weekends (eckk) So having the ability to throw my sager in a bag and frag wherever I go as opposed to being linked to a desktop only is worth it to me. On the flip side to these SLI monstrosities (which I do not own for that reason) is the fact these portable powerhouses need TWO AC adapters to be plugged in at once... My sager's power brick is the size of an actual brick already.. I dont need two of them.[/citation]

Who says regular gaming cases are not for transport?! I've traveled with my case (full tower) since I was in middle school to LAN parties. Just get a nice harness and you're all set.

If you want to mix "easy of transportation", yes the premium laptop does in fact have the upper hand, but if you're going to use a "gaming laptop" as your "travel laptop", dude... You know how much those things weight? I'd rather over 9000 times transport my case + harness which can be left on the floor instead of the expensive notebook that if-one-thing-fails-all-fails.

I do have a "cheap" gaming notebook though, but it's only 2.5k (5.5 lbs). It's not by any mean a "travel notebook" (Asus N53Jf). Short distances with it are bad enough on the back and I don't want to imagine the other monsters.

Cheers!

580M is slightly faster than 485M and 570M is slightly faster than 470M.I was expecting more.
Furthermore, I've heard Alienware is charging $600 for it(from GTX 460 1GB),which doesn't make any sense.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The DX11 Crysis 2 with everything dialed up makes me throw up when i see console gfx afterwards, it really tells the story of how old hardware they really are!

Shame few developers are nice enough to make a dx11 code path and releases a high res texture pack like Crytech did. Cudos to them!

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Gaming Laptops are great:

1. LAN parties are super easy I can sip the notebook into the bag with a mouse and some Cat5 and done. Desktop on the other hand, I need the tower, the monitor, the keyboard, the mouse, and then its at least 2 trips to the car.

2.Power my laptop uses as much as my 19in LCD

3.I can play in any room in the house

Premium price is worth the it for me.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'm an electrical engineer and travel for work anywhere from 60-90% of the weeks in a year. I would love to be able to move to a desktop to game on but why pay money for something I can only use on weekends (which I should be spending with my wife anyway).

I'm gearing up to drop $2k+ on a M17x R3 solely because I need a laptop I can use for work and then take back to the hotel room and let me play games at night. I've carried around two laptops for a long time through airports and a single 10 lbs monster laptop will actually be an improvement in the size/weight category.

Thank God they finally make a gaming laptop that can switch to the IGP and get 3+ hours of battery life out of for work purposes.

PS Please post a review of the NVIDIA 580M vs the AMD 6970M to help me decide. Please and thank you =)

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Gaming on laptops STILL doesn't make any logical sense. You're paying a big ass premium, just to be tied to a wall outlet. What, do you think one day you'll decide "Hey, It's a beautiful, sunny day outside! I think I'll go to the park and play some Crysis on a park bench"[/citation]What about taking your laptop to your friends house, or when traveling. And I have been to some fancy parks that have wifi and outlets near park benches and tables. Even in airports now almost every table has an outlet near it.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Just checked out Alienware for 580M prices.

Upgrade from 6870M to AMD 6970M -> $250

Upgrade from 6870M to NVIDIA 580M -> $600!!!!

The 580M better make me pancakes and be double the FPS of the 6970M for that price. The 6970M may not have Optimus, but you can still switch to the IGP with it and get the 5 hr battery life so I don't see a reason to go with the 580M

Status
Not open for further replies.