Question Nvidia Card for Windows, AMD Cards for Mac OS

mark520fay35

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018
I own a AMD System on a X470 Chipset (Asrock Motherboard), recent I found out that my system is compatible with Mac OS, and I’m planning to dualboot Windows on majority of my disks, and Mac OS on my 256GB M.2 SSD.

One little problem, with the beef between Apple & Nvidia, which Apple decided not to give newer Nvidia Cards driver support (Hardware Acceleration), that means I either have to buy a 750 TI and bear with the low performance, or get a RX 580 and experience super speed hardware support. (I want Mojave, not High Sierra)

That brings me to where I am now, I did some research beforehand, and I acknowledge that different Graphics Cards will not run the same task on one system (except mining), and my plan is to use Mac with RX 580, Windows with GTX 1060, do I just switch HDMI sources from 1060 to 580 when booting from Mac and viceversa? Or do I have to enable/disable cards the Bios every time I switch systems?

Of course, you do realize you are not supposed to run Mac OS on a non-Apple PC/Mac, don't you? I'm not sure if we can advise you on that or how to dual boot, so that kinda negates any advice on the GPU. Maybe a MOD could shed light on if we can advise.

With that said, there are plenty of resources on what you need to do online, with a carefully worded Google search.

mark520fay35

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018
Of course, you do realize you are not supposed to run Mac OS on a non-Apple PC/Mac, don't you? I'm not sure if we can advise you on that or how to dual boot, so that kinda negates any advice on the GPU. Maybe a MOD could shed light on if we can advise.

With that said, there are plenty of resources on what you need to do online, with a carefully worded Google search.

Yes, I understand why certain people avoid talking about this, and I’ve looked up plenty of resources instead of asking every single question I have relating to compatibility issues.

All I need to know is — do I just switch sources on my monitor when switching the operating system? Or is it required to edit the Bios to switch the operating system.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Hackintosh is fine. No discussion on obtaining copy of OS.

Reactions: King_V

4745454b

Titan
my plan is to use Mac with RX 580, Windows with GTX 1060, do I just switch HDMI sources from 1060 to 580 when booting from Mac and viceversa? Or do I have to enable/disable cards the Bios every time I switch systems?

My first though is to just run the 580. The 580 is very similar to the gaming performance of the 1060. So is Mac likes the 580 and you are planning on only the 1060 for windows, just run the 580. It's not worth running both cards for similar performance.

The issue I see you having is with the monitor. Many monitors have only one HDMI. There are some that have more so make sure you buy one with 2+m hdmi ports. If you have an older one with only one port you'll need to get an HDMI switch.

As for what think is an issue, I don't see the problem at all. Only load the drivers for whatever card you want in each OS. The other card should be seen as an unrecognized device and won't be used. As I said above however I would just run the 580 and no worries.

Reactions: mark520fay35
All I need to know is — do I just switch sources on my monitor when switching the operating system? Or is it required to edit the Bios to switch the operating system

The answer to the first part is yes. Switching sources on the monitor should work fine, providing you have suitable inputs on the monitor, as 4745454b eluded to.

I also agree with the simple and elegant solution provided. Just run the RX580 to rule out all those potential problems. Are you only willing to run Mojave? There is a driver fix/workaround for GTX cards on High Sierra, which a lot have had good success with. But not on Mojave. Ill see if I can find the link/resource.

mark520fay35

Reputable
Nov 10, 2018
Just installed High Sierra and Nvidia Web Drivers, had to install some kext to make sure Mac doesn't switch back to default Mac display driver.
As many of you have suggested, I'll be selling my 6-month-old GPU and buy a Vega 64, no more Nvidia Tax.