NVIDIA Drivers will not install or update no matter what.

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
I have a 980Ti and everytime a new update comes out i am required to use DDU to delete all NVIDIA stuff than install driver from nvidia.com because if i try to do it by just updating the driver from GeForce it always freezes up 10% of the green bar than says failed to install. But now even after using DDU to delete all NVIDIA stuff and reinstalling the driver from nvidia it still says failed! :( I hope i dont have to format my SSD just so i can update my GPU drivers. Please help someone.

Solution
Which windows version are you on? In in 10 just after some updates I’ve had drivers and software conflicts, sounds like conflict , of could be rootkit malware , if you got win 10 on usb stick or on there update program page you can reinstall Os give you option to save all files of delete , I did this and sorted my problem out , I found my antivirus was not at all adequate, I was using mc Afee , but changed back to AVG and now no problems at all after three months . I do use a amd card , and must say amd drivers have got much much better . If non that works , you must start looking at your cards ROM bios . I know you don’t want to flash a gpu bios unless you really have no other option , but when successful does sort all such problems...

drbones8472

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I would start Windows in Safe Mode and then use DDU there. Uninstall everything there that you can find. Hell even go searching into folder and delete everything Nvidia. Then reboot again and try the installer, but run the installer as an Administrator.

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

I did do that thats how i always use DDU sadly :(

Simon Horne

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Which windows version are you on? In in 10 just after some updates I’ve had drivers and software conflicts, sounds like conflict , of could be rootkit malware , if you got win 10 on usb stick or on there update program page you can reinstall Os give you option to save all files of delete , I did this and sorted my problem out , I found my antivirus was not at all adequate, I was using mc Afee , but changed back to AVG and now no problems at all after three months . I do use a amd card , and must say amd drivers have got much much better . If non that works , you must start looking at your cards ROM bios . I know you don’t want to flash a gpu bios unless you really have no other option , but when successful does sort all such problems. Tech power is a really good site has all bios s too download . I would get GPU-Z from them it analysis your GPU tells you everything about it including bios details temps , it’s really very useful. Tech power has utilities software to flash the gpu chip to which makes it very easy to do , hope you sort if out ok

Solution