Nvidia Drops Prices of GTX 770 & 780; 780 Ti Price Revealed

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
early last year the 7950 and 7970 came out for $450 and $550 respectively... on black friday, i bought a 7950 for $269. now... for this year, since cards like the 290/290x are extremely new, even the 780 is new compared to last years round up... but there is absolutely no doubt there will be some kind of discount, i would expect either the $549 price for both the 780/290x and battlefield 4 or gta5 bundled, or the price will be $499 somewhere. but beware these deals come on the week of thanksgiving and not just blackfriday and quantities will be limited. last year i tried to get the gigabyte windforce 3 7970 when i saw the deal for $329, it was on for maybe an hour before it was sold out and came on hours later at the $349 price point.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/financial-statements?symbol=US%3aNVDA
10YR SUMMARY. LAST 3 YEARS...PROFIT, PROFIT, PROFIT.
Heck, only 2 years of the 10 with small losses were due to bumpgate stuff.

AMD on the other hand:
http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/financial-statements?symbol=amd
~$6.5billion in losses over 10yrs, and -1.18B last year. I'm thinking NV dominance and they aren't even in the cpu game YET. But denver is coming (along with a lot of other 64bit competition, that will go into desktops and servers...AMD/Intel have many problems ahead).

Also, AMD's party just got ruined in under a week...LOL. Now you go with cool, quiet, cuda, phsyx, Gysnc, better drivers, less noise and 3 free AAA games for $50 less with 780. AMD won't gain anything and BTW NV sells every Titan they make and according to PCper's ryan shrout in a conversation with NV they can't make enough, hence NO price cut on Titan needed. They sell out.

In a game about making money (called business...LOL), AMD is getting their clock cleaned by NV/Intel. Don't forget Intel owns 85% of the cpu market and NV owns 65% of discrete market. Ignoring perf or anything else, it's clear NV/Intel are kicking some serious butt in this game called BUSINESS.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Proof please. Even Tegra 4 costs about $16 to make which is sold for $23-25 (well based on T3 prices, and same size die or so - T4 may cost more to make and sell), while a Titan is 6x the size and far more complex meaning many more failures affecting yields. IMPOSSIBLE for you to be correct.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Let me know when toms runs a REAL benchmark with CUDA vs. OpenCL (or whatever for AMD). Their chosen benchmarks are stupid for CUDA using TITAN users. Take any app, 3dsmax, cinema4d, adobe ae/ps/premiere, blender, lightwave etc etc. Use a cuda plugin like Octane or furryball (or just directly supported by adobe for years) vs. any plugin or choice for AMD (luxrender). Then come back and claim that crap again. Only a fool runs opencl with NV cards. That is the whole point of CUDA. There is NO reason to run OpenCL on an Nvidia card. Everything you can do in opencl can be done with Cuda FASTER whenever there is a Cuda option available.

Until toms starts pitting Cuda vs. AMD, their benchmarks are invalid for PRO stuff. Anandtech pulls the same crap. Synthetic junk you don't make money from (like toms, bitmining, folding@home...LOL, Basemark and then tested in OpenCL for NV? ROFL...RUN ADOBE for vid/photo editing and test cuda vs. AMD). When they do test cuda, they don't include the AMD putz side to compare, just say stuff like "amd doesn't support cuda so isn't benched". BS, you can run luxrender vs. cuda in maya, lightwave etc.

Their double precision etc financial benchmarks in sisoft (again, not a money making app, synthetic crap), they run them in OpenCL for both sides...ROFL. Apparently they find it too difficult to turn on CUDA and run Sisoftware's benchmark in that for NV. YES Sisoftware has CUDA built in and it runs faster. But in an effort to even the playing field Tomshardware shuns CUDA vs. AMD...LOL
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/?d=qa&f=gpu_finance_fp64
"Note: OpenCL was used as it is supported by all GPUs/APUs. The tests are also available through CUDA which provides better optimisations for nV hardware."

Gee tomshardware...Why not use CUDA, even Sisoft's own page does this crap...I don't care that something is supported by all gpus. I want the FASTEST THING I CAN GET MY GPU TO DO no matter which brand I own. Right? How about all of you? I WANT CUDA if I buy an NV card. Because I know they won't support OpenCL fully until they are forced and Cuda dies (never will - taught in 600+ universities - it will be with us for a long while and already in 200+ pro apps like named above).

But if toms actually tested cuda you'd get the REAL picture and it looks quite a bit different than the one they represent. I laugh every time I see NV tested with OpenCL. WHY? Run CUDA.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I'm guessing the MSRP reflects the plain jane, no frills, no OC'd, baseline versions of these cards... I didn't see many GTX-770 cards on Newegg.com at the $399.00 price point...

Scatterbrain901

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

I totally agree with all of this. If you want to play games, then the argument of nvidia vs. AMD holds water, but once you bring cuda into the picture for 3ds Max and adobe products (both of which I use regularly), it's a very different ball game. I will only buy nvidia cards because of that alone. I wouldn't even care if the AMD card ran a video game some percent better. I'd probably never even notice the difference. But no cuda or something even comparable in max, adobe creative suite, etc. I would definitely be affected by. As someone special stated: OpenCL is NOT an alternative.

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

Yea but that wasn't the case when nVidia came out with the 660TI. The 7870 was still a better bang for the buck and it wasn't till much later that they dropped the price of it. The only people that bought it was the hardcore fans. Heck the 550TI was a better bang for the buck then the 660TI.

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

But they got it from a TON of consumers. The gaming and workstation features in a single card are very appealing. When the card was released it had 6 months of domination. It was the fastest single GPU (still is) and had no stutter issues in a time where AMD was plagued by stutter (Still maybe is) Hardcore gamers who did rendering found a lot of appeal in the product. Now is time for Nvidia to drop the price with AMD fighting back, but they won't because it remains the top tier flagship, which always costs the most and will still be purchased by crazy enthusiasts.

They didn't shoot themselves in the foot. The Titan was supposed to be limited in quantity but it blew up in sales and Nvidia profited way more than they expected. If you don't like the cost, blame consumers who overwhelmingly supported the card even at a premium price.

Zachasaurs

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
everyone newegg has started a large sale for the whole of November with double points and many good deals watch for these graphics card prices dropping!

on new egg im seeing an evga 780 for $479 with a bunch of games... pretty good deal if you ask me. im gonna hold off on purchasing a new card for now as id rather pay no more than $325 and my card is doing fine for now.

Duiwe1000

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
IMO it's not worth spending the extra 200 bucks on the 780ti well if you have money to burn be my quest but I went and laughed in nvidia's face (actually on the forums) because you aren't getting much more for that price I went and did some benchmarks gtx 780 vs 780 ti and guess what only 7.4 fps increase that is ridiculous but don't get me wrong it is still a excellent card...

tiltedhat

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

That message was taken out of context. As part of the bigger picture it's referring to charging customers ridiculous prices and slashing them ASAP when competition comes along. Not simple supply and demand. That takes into account a product's physical availability.
We all understand that technology evolves exponentially. The problem people have with this specific topic is with a company charging an exuberant amount of cash for a product that's discovered to be a fraction of the price when it's revealed by it's competition. To use an example- a new Mustang comes out with a new body and a little more horsepower. Does Ford released it at $50k until Chevy releases the new Camaro? No. You can only go so far without beginning to insult your target audience. To put it a simpler way -'profit' and 'greed' do not share the same definition in the dictionary.

Cypherdude

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007

nVidia announced their MSRP price drops on October 28, 2013. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed. None of the major etailers have dropped their prices yet for their regular GTX770 cards to $330:
eVGA GeForce GTX770 2GB GDDR5 256bit, Dual-Link DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready Graphics Card, 02G-P4-2770-KR:
$342 www.amzn.com/B00CZIQXFG
$345 www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130920
$345 www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8208319

I contacted Amazon asking them why they are not selling the above card at $330 MSRP and this is what they replied:
Hello,

I understand your concern regarding the price difference.

We consistently offer competitive prices on everything we carry; however, the prices on our website are subject to change. While the Amazon.com website has accurate pricing information, we don't honor prices or savings posted without our permission on other websites.

To read more about our pricing, please visit our Help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468502

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you thus far. I do understand how frustrating this must have been to you.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,
Dolly V.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
AMD FTW. It has been the same for a long time. Nvidia keeps milking us with over-priced GPUs until AMD retaliates. Only then does it lower its prices. It's good for their profits but I doubt anyone who bought the 780 or 770 on the day before the discount will be happy about his lost $150

Let's see how it reacts to Mantle and True Audio.

I'm not a fanboy but I have more respect for AMD than I'll ever have for Nvidia. The approach they took with PhysX, Quad SLI and many other things is downright disgusting.

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Those people who bought the day before returned, refunded, and bought again for 150 less ........doubt they lost much

Status
Not open for further replies.