Nvidia Drops Prices of GTX 770 & 780; 780 Ti Price Revealed

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

game junky

Distinguished
Thank god for Citibank's price rewind - wasn't sure they were going to release the price drop until after BF4's launch so I ordered early and now I get a nice little refund due to the price difference. :) Will be interesting to see the performance specs on the 780ti

cjbt

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Well it was worth it to wait it out. I had an inkling feeling this was going to happen, but by this much? Surprising.

IcePrince1991

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Lol.. People, don't bring up titans in this race. Titan's are not for gamers. They are for pure enthusiast who just want the best avail specs. Also, for people who keep saying the 780 beats the titan, you do realize the Titan can also be overclocked right? Overclocked titan's shit all over overclocked 780's. I know you've see people with $6000+ builds with watercooled 4way-sli titans.

lovepurple

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Well AMD, you finally scared Nvidia. I knew you would do someday. I am planning to get the 280x ( I don't have much money for the 290x) and I do hope AMD gets better and better everyday.

logainofhades

Titan

I would wait and see how the R 290 shakes things up before I buy.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Time to upgrade my 480! But with the 290X being $50 more at retail as well as being loud (from reviews) will make it a hard decision. Especially since NV is adding all kinds of goodies!

redeemer

Distinguished

Shadow play is awesome and G-Sync is pretty cool, for me 290x with a water block makes me salivate

cyan1d3

Distinguished
May 25, 2012
I hope the people who have recently purchased these cards feel a bit slighted.. Nvidia consistently gouges their consumers, but yet they keep on buying. /shrug

rrbronstein

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

i assume that everyones main message to get across here is gaming though, i agree its a great workstation card.

rrbronstein

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

considering the guy who posted about their revenues and assets, they arent gouging, they are simply covering costs of their large chip which took alot of R&D and is probably more expensive to produce than AMD's GCN. Im sure they have a decent profit component as well but since none of us here work internally we dont know. You cant get mad at Nvidia over speculation, maybe the higher price was needed and justified. Now since 780 is being replaced by a new top end 780 Ti, they can happily cut prices as they have made some money on it being higher priced for months.

Wow. An immediate 17% price drop for the 770 and nearly a whopping 25% cut for the 780, thanks to AMD. Really tempted to Ebay my 680 now and get two 780s in preparation for the move to a 1440p monitor. However, considering the 8-series Maxwell will be here in less than 6 months, and that is supposed to be an all new architecture instead of just a refresh, it may be worth waiting for.

Troof2Troof

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
This is AWESOME! I have been waiting for this scenario for the last month. AND it comes with Splinter Cell, Assassins Creed & Batman (even though I already have Batman from my last 780).

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

The GTX Titan isn't even good at compute. I don't know why people think it is. Tom's tested it months ago against a Radeon 7970 and it lost. And by alot on some benchmarks.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-performance-review,3442-10.html

All few words, thanks AMD! Basically, the TITAN (Using 3930K logic) was there for one reason, to creep up the price and make the 780 look like a good value @$650, which it was not. Nobody went "HEY, the 580 was only $500 and now the same type of card is $650, are you trying to rob our wallets?" when the 780 came out, it is not even funny. For $500, the 780 is a decent value, the 290X is better IMO, but the 290 non-X is around the corner and non-ref coolers are likely, so anything can happen. There is no denying that nVidia has more consistent drivers, but 98% of the time, Radeon cards work just fine, my ASUS 5870-Eyefinity 6 worked beautifully and is still running in my friend's backup rig to this day and (excluding crossfire) drivers were never a problem for me and him. Now, should there be a problem, nvidia does get it patched up quicker and has better day-1 optimizations. Now, don't get started on G-SYNC and MANTLE, that is for another time...
/rant

tiltedhat

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Is nobody upset that Nvidia just dropped through the floor on their prices? Everyone is talking about how awesome it is. They just ripped all of their supporters heads off for months for no reason other than greed. I have ALWAYS been an Nvidia fan so don't get me mixed up here. I'm no AMD fanboy. I just feel humiliated for supporting a company that made it blatantly obvious that they are chasing the cash. If AMD did not release the r9 290x do you think Nvidia would have lowered anything? They created the $1k ceiling with the Titan and they would have been happy to hold it. All of the sudden the competition releases a serious card for $550 and miraculously the gtx780 goes from $750 to $499 within a day??!! Not to mention Nvidia decides to release pricing on the gtx780ti (early reports say it rivals/ beats Titan) at $699. How can they continue to do that and nobody cares? They obviously think that their customer base are complete idiots and they are turning out to be right. Do not worry everyone, Nvidia is releasing the gtx780ti soon and, because it's a fraction more powerful than the $550 r9 290x or the $499 gtx780, it will be $200 more because they want to squeeze every dollor out of your pockets for supporting them. Because they created the $1k pricetag for the Titan, $699 seems like a steal right? Even when the comparable cards are hundreds cheaper? And guess what, plenty of us are going to buy it knowing that they could care less about you as a consumer and loyal customer. The only company that came ahead here is AMD for showcasing a flagship card at $550 when they could have easily charged $699 when the gtx780 was still $750. That's worthy of an applause- A company that actually wants to reward it's fans and humble the competition. We all know Nvidia wouldn't have done it. Instead we cheer Nvidia for dropping their prices $250 on the gtx780. Shame on me for actually deciding to shell out $499 for the gtx680 lightning. Now a faster gtx770 lightning is out for...$359. All within 8 months!! What company does that and stays in business? I hope gamers and fans alike start standing up for their hard earned money and stop paying ridiculous starting prices for the newest model. It's downright humiliating to the consumer who supports the product and brand name. Never again.

Juniadhes

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
So the GTX 770-280x is now purely a matter of preference?

Still interested to know exactly what the GTX 780 Ti brings to the table.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Not really, 780s overall have higher overclocking headroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.