Nvidia Drops Prices of GTX 770 & 780; 780 Ti Price Revealed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

I really hope that you are kidding about buying a GTX 780 for a 1920x1200 screen? :)

Even a GTX 770 would be a waste on that resolution. Buying a GPU to make it "future proof" for 5 years is just dumb. You're paying double to keep the adapter twice as long. Instead you can get a GTX 760 today, and upgrade to something much more powerful in a couple of years. Something that supports whatever new tech is out by then, like whatever comes after G-Sync.

Here's a though about what might be a better idea. Get a GTX 770 and a Quad-HD monitor instead. I bet you would enjoy that a lot more.

logainofhades

Titan
The price change makes the 770 a more attractive buy than it was, but the 7970 is probably still better price/performance. Interested to see what the R9 290 performance is and if it will affect pricing even more.

gokuzom

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Just wait guys this is going to be a stiff competition for both amd and nvidia. If amd releases R9 290 for around $400 and it performs on par with gtx 780 then nvidia will drop the price of gtx 780 further to $450. Then gtx 780 will become most viable option. Always remember its GPU industry and here price drops to half within 8-12 months :D

I like the part updated daily and no sign of the R9 290X.

PepitoTV

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
I'll just wait until the R9 290 gets released to the market to settle down, then I'll make my decision... Price cuts are always great news, but I feel that right now they aren't all the news, so, wait until us, customers, have all the available information.

9a3iqa

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

What driver issues? AMD has better drivers than Nvidia right now. These driver issues rumors are all carried over from the olden days of ATI (before AMD purchased it). The AMD driver team has always been great apart from the major blunder of frame pacing, which they have got under control now.

lawson72

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
GTX 780 for $500 that is a great price, though I would still rather get a Sapphire Toxic R9 280x over a GTX 770 eventhough the price is good on that too

lawson72

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
GTX 780 for $500 that is a great price, though I would still rather get a Sapphire Toxic R9 280x over a GTX 770 eventhough the price is good on that too

hannibal

Distinguished

Indeed! Titan is 10 times faster in Douple presision computing than 780 is... So if you want to have GPU for calculations, you take Titan or 290X. If you want to have gaming GPU get the best bang for the buck and it just became better with the release of AMD r series GPU and prize cuts from both companies!

noobzilla771

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I go to whichever brand I see has best price/performance. nVidia typically releases overpriced cards and AMD usually follows up with better/cheaper ones several months after. nVidia then reduces price. That's the cycle (what you're seeing now). Unless you're willing to spend premium to have the best for a while, it's always better to wait until AMD releases their new line. The 7970's are really cheap now.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
This is how I see things falling

290x: 450-475
290: 400
280x: 300
270: 200

At this point tho, I would hold off on a gpu untill mantel and CF drivers are tested...then pick. Why?

A. New game bundles.
B. A lower AMD GPU might have new life under Mantel.

AMD would be smart to roll all this out by Black Friday.

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

OC'ed 780 beats OC'ed 290X + plus 780 eats less power (don't thing you care about that with your SLI570, but it still beats 290X at that as well).

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
This is how I see things falling

290x: 450-475
290: 400
280x: 300
270: 200

At this point tho, I would hold off on a gpu untill mantel and CF drivers are tested...then pick. Why?

A. New game bundles.
B. A lower AMD GPU might have new life under Mantel.

AMD would be smart to roll all this out by Black Friday.

And more importantly, Lightboost (eliminated motion blur) ... and don't forget Shadowplay

No different from what AMD did when the 6xx and 7xx came out. Why do these companies charge so much for their cards ? .... "Cause they can" .... people are simply willing to pay more for performance advantage ..... nVidia's held the top crown for so long now that AMD doesn't have a single card in the Top 10 sales wise in Steam's GFX card survey..... so AMD dropped prices simply because they had to. What's hurt AMD is, they pop first w/ their new cards, then a short time later, nVidia responds. They are alternating "holding the title", but AMDs reign is so short, they don't get an opportunity to really drive sales.

Now with AMDs new release, nVidia was forced to drop prices because "they had to".... we have always paid a premium for the "top dog" ...... no different from CPUs where 2nd tier is $300 and 1st is $1000

But we knew all this..... the 290s release was not a surprise and we know from experience that as soon as a new generation hits, prices plummet. I'm sitting here with a brand new hi end build and pile of still boxed WC components....and no GFX cards

I'm using using on board GFX for that very reason..... Original plan was a pair of 770s but knowing since summer that the new gen from AMD would drop in 4th quarter, and that nVidia would respond (likely b4 turkey day so as to take advantage of Black friday spending sprees) with a topper driving down all the rest of the field, I waited for the price drop.

stubbies2003

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Amazing that they didn't touch the price of the Titan since with the release of the 290x and the price drop of the 780s 1000 for a Titan is freaking stupid. No one in their right mind will pay a 500 dollar premium for the minimal performance difference between a 780 and a Titan. /boggle NVidia logic.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
High-end graphics cards are not normal necessity li, but rather luxury goods. In this category, I don't consider charging a lot more than break even price extraordinary as some people suggest with choice words. If you can't afford it, you don't need to buy one, since you have other choices with rather affordable price. That's why I'm settling in mid-range card, and I have no problem with that. nVidia and AMD are for-profit businesses, and they exist to make profit. When there are only two companies providing this kind of products, it is inevitable to have them over-priced (in our mind). I'm not happy with it, but can't dispute over it. Price is determined by supply-demand. If those cards are not selling because of seemingly high price, they will cut the price. When they still can sell with high price why would they cut the price? If you have buyers for your house lined up for $500K, when you paid only $200K for it originally, are you willing to sell it for $300K?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS