Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 102 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
@RobCrezz

I think 6GB is a good amount of RAM on a card with like 1060 which equals GTX980 in performance. I mean Shadow of Mordor with high resolution texture pack needed 6GB I think. We all ran it with 4GB though, and I maxed it with GTX 980.

I managed to squeeze one of the nightmare settings out of Doom. It claimed we needed 5GB I think it run both of those nightmare graphics settings. However I could only run one of the nightmare settings and maintain 60 fps. It still hit 4GB of vRAM sometimes though.

If my GTX 980 had 6GB RAM it would be safe for vRAM. Most current games though at most, max out at about 3.6GB. Stuff like Assassin' Creed: Syndicate.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
MSI 30th anniversary watercooled 1080 released https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-30TH-ANNIVERSARY.html#hero-specification not seen a price yet but probably gonna be on the top end so expect $800+ with $850 not out of the question since the seahwak ek x is $810 with no radiator included

looks rather nice
600.png

personally i think board partner are very interested to do it. but nvidia still hold the final decision. they most likely don't want 980/970 to have more VRAM than 980Ti. so people that want more VRAM was pushed towards 980ti instead.

this stuff is for those that grow money on tree :p

nice looking indeed though i'm not really a fan gpu with it's own custom loop haha.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it looks like you could remove that and add it into your own custom loop but that is just a guess.

think this is based on the gaming x/z pcb like the seahawk ek x is but can't verify that yet. probably still be cheaper than a gaming x + water block separately plus you get the limited edition block over a generic third party one :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Certainly looks like a standalone pump/reservoir with standard fittings and even a fill port. I hope the tubes are a bit longer than in the picture, since I imagine a lot of cases would have issues with those parts being attached to the radiator like that at the rear exhaust.

jeffler383

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I've been away from this thread for a couple of months, checking back in and I'm dismayed there's still no info for the 1080 ti :(
Has there been anything besides speculation for the incoming ti?

D

Deleted member 217926

Nope. Waiting myself. A 1080 just isn't a large enough upgrade to my 980 Ti.

I dont see room in the lineup for a 1080ti. It would be odd for them not to make one but i just don't see a large enough space between the titanX and the 1080 for a 1080ti. It would have to be $899 or there about and couldn't be but what 10% faster? I dunno i just dont see it this gen.

On a side note i need to get my wife a upgrade from her gtx 970. I was looking at a 1070 as she games at 2560x1080p on a acer Z35 monitor at 144hz so i need a gpu that will hold upwards of a consistent 100fps minimum preferably 120+ at that res. Anyone think the 1070 will pull that off? i see it does good at 1080p but not so great at 1440p other than 60-80fps.

Its not intended for the 1080Ti to be far in performance from the 1080. Nvidia cards generally peak in price/perfoance around the GTX 1070 because people considering lower priced cards will figure the extra performance is worth it. But oncr you get past the GTX 1070 those people typically are just looking for something very powerful and care less about the money. Then you have the Titan X for those who just want the most powerful GPU so it makes sense for it to have poor price/performance because the people buying it don't care about price, only performance.

Well, they care about price SOME. They won't spend $10,000 on one. But they can milk it pretty high. Then there are those who really want one but don't want to spend quite that much, and that's who tge 1080Ti is for. Still don't get the price/performance of a 1070, but you get a great GPU.

manleysteele

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015

No. If you take 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz as 1.00, 2560 x 1080 @ 100 Hz requires 1.25 the graphics power and @ 144 Hz the requirement jumps to 1.80 times as much power.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
Azzazel, the 1070 is a great card but to stay above 100fps she'll have to lower some settings. The good thing is it's mostly settings you don't notice anyway.

As an example: I lowered Anti-Aliasing from 4x SSAA to 2x SSAA in Tomb Raider and my FPS went from 40-50 to 80-90(!!) average. I did not see a pixel difference. I even did comparison screenshots and I could not see a difference at 1080p.

What I am getting at: maxing out every game sounds fun but in many cases is not at all needed for the best experience.

Similar performance on my end aswell. GTX 1060 at 2Ghz (or 1999mhz, spec nerds), at 1440P i was getting 55min with 65-70fps average at ultra.

I thought maybe 2 1070's but she also doesn't really need to be absolutely maxed out and 2560x1080 although not 1440 its harder to run than regular 1080 i just didnt know how much harder. The 1070 in most games hits 120+ fps but i havent seen any tests in widescreen 1080.

Doomjoon

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
I'm honestly a bit paranoid about the 1080Ti, if it ever even comes out. Because people are now expecting a card that will be much cheaper than the Titan but only perform slightly worse, so they cannot really pull of the same "trick" they did last year, so it may not reach our expectations in price, performance, or both, since they'd want to sell as many Titan X's as possible. Especially since they don't need really need to: both the 1080 and the Titan XP are selling quite well, they have little reason to go with a middle ground (or maybe I am underestimating how many people are holding back their purchase and waiting for the Ti).

I really don't know what to think.

TRENDING THREADS