Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 121 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

i saw that hardocp been reporting about nvidia UK tweet that talking about "setting the stage for something big " on the upcoming CES. it could be just usual PR talk about the event or nvidia indeed have something to show at CES.

Bioware also on tweeter talking about going to show mass effect at nvidia CES event (most likely at the opening keynote livestream). some people expecting 1080ti will make it's debut there.

Nip_slip

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
People, I need your knowledge and experience with the Nvidia 1000 series
I recently built (myself) a PC with a EVGA GTX 1070, and a i5 6600k processor
Thing is, half the times I'm LAUNCHING OR SHUTTING DOWN a game (only in these occasions), my video will crash, and the monitor will get in standby as if the PC was disconected, even though PC is up and running
Anyone knows what could this be about, and How to fix it??
Much appreciated,
Arthur

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

Create a thread in the GPU section and feel free to link it here. It will be easier to help you and we will not bloat this thread with troubleshooting :)

looks like two 1080tis are going to be released as they have benchies with gpuz reports up showing a gimped 3328 cores and also the full 3840 cores, neither of which the pascal titan are available in. if true, which it obviously is with the gpuz records, i would imagine the two geforce gp102 models to ring in at $699 and $999 respectively.

keep in mind though Quadro P6000 use fully enable GP102 core.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I also saw there is a mini 1080 coming out?! I'm waiting for a 1080ti and hoping it can handle 4k even better, but my shallow case can only fit about a 10 inch card. I assumed I'd need to do some major case modding but the mini comes in under 8 inches and seems to have full functions. So huge for my case!!! Is this the norm in recent gens? Should I have hope to see a 1080ti in this mini form factor too at some point?

1080 mini was possible because the card is quite power efficient. if you look average and peak power consumption wise 1080 can do much better than Fury nano did. i'm not talking about process node efficiency here. nano consume slightly more power and yet they able to build them into mini ITX form. so i don't think it is impossible to make 1080 even in mini ITX form.

Not about power efficiency, renz. The Fury has HBM, so they can pack it in a very tight space with no problems. GDDR has that "small" disadvantage from the PCB perspective. If you want to bring down the 1080 to ITX space, you will have to compromise on something that will affect performance, me thinks. The only thing the Fury had to give up, was cooling efficiency, which still affects performance, but the card itself was the same as the Fury X IIRC..

Cheers!

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

But wasn't that the reason why they only sold watercooled versions of it?

Fury X you mean? Yes, I guess. I never saw a non-hybrid cooled Fury X.

In terms of "size", it wasn't that fit for ITX due to the pump and how fat it was, that is why the Nano was used to fit that role. Although it did sacrifice performance to achieve it due to less cooling. All in all, mainly due to price, the Nano wasn't that good in my eyes.

If partners want to make a 1080 that appeals to ITX builders, price will have to reflect whatever performance is lost, I guess?

Cheers!

nope. instead board partner will charge the premium for being the fastest mini ITX card?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Just read one of you predicted March for new cards...
Going to just hope until CES dashes my chances for a few more days then. Although that might be nice for an April birthday!

oh wow, dang i didnt even know the p6000 existed... never saw any reviews on it. nevermind then, im probably wrong.

hothardware just reviewed the card a few days ago (i just post the link for it the other day on this thread). it is professional card review but they did test 3d mark time spy and hitman 2016 and compare the numbers with other gaming card. probably they do it just to know what kind of gaming potential full enabled GP102 will have.

AMD will be previewing Vega soon. and right now AMD don't even have official product that can even really compete with 1080/1070. nvidia probably still adjusting 1080ti config to make sure the card consistently faster than vega. or even better coming up with something that even more faster than fully enabled GP102 itself.

just settle with 3440x1440 as it is plenty and a bit easier on the gpu. there are no gaming 4k monitors and there isn't likely going to be anytime soon. by the time we get 144hz 2160p ips monitors there will be stronger cards out.

D

Deleted member 217926

What makes a monitor or anything else "gaming"? I'm using a "business class" 32", 60Hz 1440p Samsung with a relatively slow AMVA+ panel and I use my desktop primarily for gaming. I wouldn't even consider buying a new "gaming" monitor. ;)

The marketing went too far.

Gaming => good
No gaming => crap.