Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 122 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
The answer to "what makes a monitor a gaming monitor" should be pretty obvious to any enthusiast: input latency and refresh rate. Color being in 2nd place.

I don't disagree on marketing doing their usual stupid stuff, but go past those layers and the products do become discernible from each other.

I can give another example in the form of a rhetorical question: what makes a monitor a medical monitor? I know that answer, because I got to work for a Hospital once and know to the letter the *very* specific requirements for a monitor that can be used for medics (as in, telemedicine and stuff).

Cheers!

EDIT: Typo.

D

Deleted member 217926

I remember rumors from months ago that there would be a GTX 2xxx series Pascal refresh and that's where the 1080 Ti ( 2080 Ti? ) would show up.

Until AMD can catch up in the high end there's no reason for Nvidia to release anything faster.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm still assuming that we will see a 1080ti within a couple weeks of vega. one way or the other. it's looking like it will probably compete with the 1080 so i have no doubts in my mind that nvidia will drop something to stay ahead at the top end ASAP. not really looking for rumors anymore as it just makes sense for nvidia to wait for vega and then drop the hammer again like they always do.

manleysteele

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015

Asus introduced a 2160p @ 144MHz monitor at CES. There are already 2880p monitors in the wild. Dell has a 4320p monitor. There are reasons/opportunities everywhere one cares to look to maximize graphics performance.

king3pj

Distinguished

If AMD only matches or slightly beats Nvidia with their 1070 and 1080 competitors nearly a full year after they came out Nvidia could probably get away with just putting out a 1080 Ti this summer and holding off on the 2000 series for another year.

I haven't paid attention to many of the rumors or speculation so they very well could put out the 2000 series this year but I kind of wonder what the point would be. It seems like it would be cheaper for them to stick with the 1000 series GPUs for another year. They will still sell very well as long as they are in the same price and performance range as AMD's cards.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yup that's what i am assuming as well. just drop a 1080ti that keeps the lead so the drones will have something to brag about and nvidia can wait until next year for a new range of cards. so long as they can claim the fastest card, it'll keep the fanboys happy enough and they'll keep selling 1060 cards despite the 480 being a touch better option :)

makes perfect sense to me.

marketing :) . and OEM usually want something "new" every year to be listed on their spec sheet even if the "new" hardware actually still using the same hardware they use last year.

that is more likely than CES release because PAX is a gaming event. but still i would not be surprise if nvidia decided to make their own event instead like they did with 1080/1070 instead of doing it at PAX. also nvidia never release new GPU at CES as far as i can remember. the last time they show unreleased geforce at CES was GTX480 back in 2010. at CES they usually only show off their new tegra. they even stop doing that last year. we don't even know the actual spec of parker until september or october last year. this time they give us brief info about xavier but we know about xavier since late last year in one of nvidia worldwide GTC event.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

As many have stated before: there is no point for nVidia to release the 1080ti now where it would only compete with it's brothers. I did think we would get some teasers at CES, though.
Have there been GPU annoucements at PAX before? I haven't followed what's happening at PAX before.
But yeah, I think too that they'll have their own event where the focus of the press is on nVidia and nVidia only.

We did see a real Vega card, somewhat freaky and raw but it was there, but we did not get any new infos about the release. It's still 1H17 which gives nVidia a lot of time to thoroughly plan anything GPU related.

i don't really remember stuff that happen years ago so i did a quick look. nvidia launch GTX480 at PAX 2010 event.

http://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-officially-declares-geforce-gtx-480--470-launch-date

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
Hah, funny how flashy the tech events have gotten. Those pictures form 2010 look so raw and technical compared to the over-designed, RGB-Lit, stuff that's everywhere nowadays.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
did you guys see the tom's attempt at passively cooling the 1050ti? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-gtx-1050-ti-passive-cooling-mod,4837.html

rather interesting read. put it n a decent case with plenty of airflow and it might work out. but then again, a single really nice fan running slowly and actively cooling the card would probably accomplish the same thing if not more.

but it does look pretty neat with the massive set of fins on it sticking out twice as long as the little card

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

Kinda defies it's purpose as it's meant to be a small card but it is interesting to see how little heat it generates.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
been way out of the loop the last couple months but i have not seen anything concrete on any release dates for either. i'd still suspect 1080ti to be very close to vega release to try and take some of the hype away. it's the way nvidia has been doing it for a long while now and don't see why they'd stop now. they have literally no reason to release anything new until amd can compete with them at the high end. so whenever we know about vega release, we'll know about 1080ti release.

everything still just rumors though as nothing official has been released by either side.

they already had some different 1080ti core configs up back in late november. at the time i thought it was two 1080ti models but one ended up being the quadro p6000 with the full tilt 3840 core gp102 over the titanxp 3584. but the user had both the 3840 core and 33xx core(i forget the config) models on the bench with 3dmarks etc. obviously the 33xx core model has got to be the 1080ti. i would agree that nvidia is just holding out as long as they can since they know the 1080ti and vega will push everything lower tier into a lower price bracket, especially since the 1080ti would compete directly with the 1080 the way pricing currently is. but we know the 33xx model exists in the wild, but what we dont know is if it is still gp102 or if its a gp2xx part since the user didn't supply much information.

might be possible? but so far we not hearing much about it. usually when there is real hardware close to launch we will start seeing leaks/rumor here and there. GTX1080/1070 launch in may last year but we already got some dead accurate leak in march. worst nvidia probably waiting for amd vega first. if GP102 cannot compete with vega then it's time to release that 600mm2 behemoth.

I wanna ask..

1) Nvidia waits VEGA from AMD, and releases their 1080Ti to to compete the newest from AMD?
2) Can be the 2000 series a refresh of the 1000 one? (like the 200 series to 300 from AMD)

1) it's more like nvidia are waiting for AMD to compete with their current 1080/1070. right now there is no AMD card in the market can touch 1080 let alone titan x pascal. so for people want faster performance than 1080 their only choice was that overly expensive titan x. no reason to sacrifice titan x yet.
2) it is possible like what happen with nvidia 600 to 700 series. instead of releasing 680ti they actually release 780 and 780ti while some 600 series being rebrand into 700 series lower tier card.

AFAIK only for the supercomputer contract that nvidia have to built this year and those new tegra (xavier) that will have volta gpu for new drive px. we gamers most likely won't get our volta based gpu until next year.