Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

That thing is massive!

It is indeed a "metal brick with a computer attached to it", though, haha.

That being said, it is stock clocks and the scores reflect it; checked against desktop parts and they are in-line.

Cheers!

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah, desktop replacement for sure, at 4.8kg its quite a lump :D

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I can't remember which laptop it was. Dmitri from Hardware Canucks did a YouTube review. It was one of the top end gaming laptops about eighteen months ago, with the top end Nvidia card in it. (Might have been a 980.) He was wowed by how quiet the fans were under full load. It can be done then.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
What's worrying is if those laptops will be commanding price gouging prices. Either due to lack of supply or just the sheer performance.

Something like a 1080 on an 18.4" laptop @ 1080p will be astonishingly fast.

They make laptops with 4k screens with less powerful GPUs.

I expect they'll probably give them 4k screens or maybe 1440p.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

I know. Such a waste of power. My 22" (or 21.5") is 1080p, and is fine. At 18.4" it's great. (I have an old Acer 8920 laptop with 1080p.)

Instead they stick a 4K screen in and charge you for the demolition GPU power, because of it. The selling point being a high-res display I would not want. Any excuse to increase price.

If I were going to buy a laptop again, I would search for 1080p with GTX 1080, or max 1440p. (I can't help thinking the prices are going to be off the charts though.)

anyone tried the latest WHQL yet? lots new things in this latest branch. game ready drivers for several games but the most interesting probably it does contain SLI profiles for upcoming Deus EX. seems it has been a while since we see day one SLI support for new games. other than that the new driver also brings in beta SLI support for NMS. and this driver support the new WDDM 2.1 that needed for upcoming SM 6. also fast sync support on non pascal GPU.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

Yup. And my Overclock seems to suffer from those drivers. 50MHz less on average.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
good choice. the more i read and the more i see the G1 looks like a solid buy for the low cost and solid construction. the old standby asus strix models seem to be going downhill this generation yet the price has stayed at the high end.

the G1 and the EVGA models seem to be the best deals for the 1080 cards.

I don't recommend any Strix cards this generation.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
me either :)

been a solid choice in the past but they seem to have given little thought to this gen, especially the new AMD cards. but the nvidia models have lost quality as well. and for the high end price they ask, this is unacceptable. so they lose my recommendation this time around as well.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

Talking of quality in the build. I owned a Strix 970 and now have a Strix 980. The 970 was lighter, because there was more metalwork on the 980. The 980 just does not sag either, whereas the 970 did somewhat (nothing bad though). Also the heat-pipes on the 980 are more efficient.

I would have expected at least the same on the 10-series. I have not heard any damning reports though. Apart from someone, I think robcrezz got some fearsome coil-wine on a 1060 Strix.

Proofy

Admirable

What about 1060 cards ? In my country G1 Gaming, Palit Dual Jet and Inno3D GTX 1060 iChill X3 are cheapest at $225, followed by Phoenix and Phoenix GS at $235.

Was thinking of picking G1 Gaming since it comes with 8pin conector, better phase and good OC

MSI Gaming X is 42$ difference... But since OC does not matter at all since 3.0 Boost, should I just buy phoenix since it's cheapest and runs coolest of them all?

I don't want that card. I was making the point that GTX 1060 prices are still skyrocketed on some cards, I hope this ends and demand starts to decrease to normal.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

the reviews i have read on the various phoenix cards have been very positive. everyone is surprised by the quality and performance of the cards. they have performed well and run cool and quiet from what i have read. looks like a solid choice to me to get the pheonix GS. the G1 is a solid choice as well for $10 less. gets rave reviews as well.

i like the ichill cards as well but they are freaking HUGE!!!!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

outlet pc is not exactly known for their good prices anyway. but that is some serious gouging for a 1060 card. sadly i'm sure they will sell them at that price. a fool and his money......... as they say

Proofy

Admirable
Ah.. sorry.. yeah agree it's a very high price.

Now since Nvidia 3.0 GPU boost technology offers the SAME overclock for all cards it doesn't matter anymore how much you can manually overclock your GPU right? Because none manually overclocked pascal gpu will give you more overclock than you will have in game with nvidia 3.0 GPU boost technology... at least not for Pascal because BIOS hacking tools haven't been written yet for Pascal. The guy who wrote Keplar and Maxwell tools is clearly having trouble backwards engineering everything, cause it's taking him a long time this generation and might never be realeased.

GPU to look for should be the coolest one (lowest temperatures), not the one that has highest manual overclock since it doesn't matter anyway if I'm correct. And one of the coolest, if not THE coolest GPU other there atm is Phoenix from Gainward which is pretty cheap

Math Geek correct me if I'm wrong pls