Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Well I think I've settled in on the sli setup of the evga FTW 1080's since the Msi red does not match my build at all and the Asus strix I've heard is rather of poor quality and cheap plastic. It's rgb would work nicely with the color lighting but reviews haven't been so good and I know evga makes good stuff as I use mostly only their product's. So FTW it is as soon as they are packaging in some good games. $115 of paragon crap means nothing to me. I've played it and hated it so that's useless. Heck at 5k dsr the pair of 1080's in bf4 hold 70+ fps easily so I figure for my 3440x1440 res I should be set with these. First time buying a non tI card so maybe by the time they package good games a 1080ti will be out. Not sure we will get a ti this time though.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

Be sure to tell us how they perform! Personally I'm curious about the acoustics at load but an overall experience report is most welcome! :)

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
For all EU people:

Caseking has an upcoming bargain for the Gigabyte GTX1060 OC WindForce 2X. A very good and quiet cooler and at €251 it's the cheapest 1060 6GB available. If it wasn't mid September I'd have chosen it over my MSI one as they seem to have a very similar temps&acoustics but MSI is just asking a huge premium. And just FYI: the MSI 1060 is dead silent.

Typically it's like that. Every 2 generations is a replacement for the old card. Similar to how the 950 replaced the 650 according to Nvidia.

it is very rare to see 660 3GB. as far as i can remember only Galaxy (Now rebranded as Galax) have made such card.

and this is where some of nvidia move that we don't like. board partner actually have plans to release 780ti 6GB. at least EVGA have said so after releasing 780 6GB. in the end it did not happen most likely because nvidia want people to buy titan black instead if they want 6GB. same with 980/970. i mean look how fast 960 4GB coming out after the 2GB model. some board partner must have interest to put 8GB on 980/970. but nvidia probably did not want 980/970 to have more VRAM than 980Ti.

the 750ti is unchallenged for 2 years plus in sub 75w segment thanks to maxwell efficiency. and then replaced by 950 75w edition. the upcoming 1050 will decide which card will be king in sub 75w segment. according to the leak 1050 will have same amount of core count as 950 but they come with much high clock speed. seeing how the boost work on pascal it is possible to reach 1.5ghz during typical work load.

Not bad at all! A little slower than an RX470 if true.

I wonder how it overclocks. If it overclocks just as well as the 1060s, then wow that thing could easily get past 1600mhz.

I still like where GPUs are at this time. No current Nvidia GPU = an AMD GPU in performance, so it's no longer a bunch of 390 vs 970 or 380 vs 960 threads. Though I do see RX 480 vs GTX 1060 threads which don't make sense since the 1060 (6GB) outperforms the RX 480 period.

Is the 3GB card more like an RX 470 or between an RX 470 and RX 480?

Yeah the GTX 1060 is a bit weird. It has RX 470 performance when vram is maxed out, but when it isn't, it's faster than an RX 480.

even if 1050 could run at 2Ghz the 1060 3GB will still end up faster. because 1060 3GB also able to reach 2ghz mark. to top it of 1060 3GB still have more significantly more shader count.

True true. However, in certain scenarios where the vram goes beyond 3GB, would that make both of them equal?

Just an observation, the 1050 has a 2.1 TFLOPS theoretical compute performance vs. the 1060 3GB's 4.0 TFLOPS. The 1050 is basically a 960. The 1060 3GB will outperform the 1050/960 in virtually everything in my speculated opinion.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
here's a review for the galax 1080 HOF card. first of these i have seen. http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/40145-kfa2-geforce-gtx-1080-hof-im-test.html

runs right with all the other cards but is a good 4-5 degrees cooler at gaming loads. huge card so it should be a touch cooler :)

seems i also missed a company selling FE cards. Biostar appears to make/sell FE cards as well as the others. http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/vga/series.php?S_ID=96

kind of like pny that also only sells FE cards.

Shouldn't go past 3GB if graphical settings are set in accordance with what the card can actually handle. Half the people in the world think everything's gotta run on ultra mega.

so still can't reach 2.2ghz. i remember they galax mention they will target at least 2.2ghz oc with their HOF. so we really were at the limit where GP104 can go.

also i'm not surprise if BIOSTAR just got their 1080 supply from nvidia.