Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zaxx420

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Update on the 1050...

"Nvidia's Pascal-based GeForce GTX 1080, 1070 and 1060 graphics cards are seeing strong demand from the market and therefore are currently in tight supply. To further expand into the market, Nvidia is planning to release its mid-range GTX 1050 graphics card at the end of September at the earliest."

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/GTX-1050-scheduled-launch-end-September

re: 470, 480, 1060...

'Both vendors had great difficulty providing retailers with cards to sell at launch, the supply has increased and prices are much closer to the MSRP than they were a month ago but there are still plenty of out of stock models when you start looking for deals.' --- that ain't no sht...lol

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

This is how I feel about whatever this new Vulcan thing is. I just can't be bothered to google it again. I tried once but could find an explanation.

I did read on a Steam thread that Doom runs faster with whatever Vulcan is though. Probably worth me checking it out again.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
vulkan is just another api. like dx 9, 11, 12, mantel and so on. just another way for the program to talk to the hardware. just happens to help amd gpu's more than nvidia ones so it gets lots of attention for that.

Here is a definition of Abstraction Layers I found. The API (Vulkan, Mantle, DX11, DX12, OpenGL etc.) use these tools to make hardware easier to programme.

"Generally, an abstraction layer is an API (a set of functions) which is hiding the underlying implementation/complexity."

"Abstraction layers are used to 'abstract' away more detailed programming, to avoid developers having to write every single possible element of the instructions needed" (when rendering a triangle etc. To simply avoid 're-inventing the wheel' continuously.)

Some API's do a more 'efficient' job of this than others, but the trade-off is that more time/programming/skill is required by the dev and so an amount of 'overhead' between the code/instructions and the hardware. This overhead varies depending on the API.

DX12 might give better performance than DX11 (theoretically at least) but it also requires more effort on the part of the dev to implement it (effectively). But there's more control allowed, it is 'closer to the metal' etc. It's a balancing act.

In conclusion Vulkan/Mantle/DX12 seem to reduce the 'overhead' significantly for AMD hardware vs DX11. This was the intention of course. Nvidia's implementation of DX11 has always been superior, so the gains are less significant for Nvidia hardware.

the way AMD design their GCN there prone to be "bubbles" in their execution. AMD aware about this hence the existence of ACE even in GCN 1.0 hardware. but somehow this hardware are not accessible on DX11. as for the cpu overhead honestly i think AMD are capable to be head to head with nvidia DX11 implementation but they did not support certain DX11 feature. here is one of interesting post by Ryan Smith of anandtech:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/6950-vs-gtx-460-768mb-why-does-nvidia-beat-the-radeon-in-civ5.2155665/page-2#post-31520674

IAEInferno

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

Do you know a way to buy aftermarket GPUs that aren't overpriced?

I have a feeling it's actually going to have poor price/performance compared to the 1060. Currently the $120-180 price range is open to anything new and I expect the 1050 to take a $150 or $160 spot within that range, but I feel its performance will only be a little better than the RX 460. I expect it to be $150 but take on the performance of a $130 card; people would buy it still though, because it'll trump the 460 and be the cheapest Nvidia option.

The 950 had better price/performance than the 960 by a good margin and I don't expect Nvidia to make that same mistake again.

IAEInferno

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

I find it hard for people to buy a card that's lower in performance than the GTX 1060 since more games nowadays have DX 12 which an RX 480 or 470 can be enough at 1080p.

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016

It's the way of patience and regular check of all online retailers. I got my 1060 at MSRP and it was sold out few minutes after I completed my purchase. I was checking the sites every ~60 minutes for almost a week.

About DX12: there aren't any games really. Rise of the Tomb Raider, Hitman and Ashes of Singularity. The holy trinity of DX12 ATM. If DX12 will make footing, then yes, AMD will get an edge, but it's not there yet.

How do you find it hard? Some people don't want to spend $220+ for a GPU.

IAEInferno

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

True, I see people buy the Nvidia Titan X pascal at $1600 so anything is possible but if Nvidia is gonna put their gtx 1050 price at around $150-180 then would that make the previous graphics cards of Nvidia somewhat unwanted?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
HW Luxx has posted a review of both the AVGA classified 1080 and the Zotac Artic storm.

artic storm actually looks like a tiny bit better (2-3 fps) than the others and may be the first card i have seen that ever so slightly delivers a bit extra performance out of the box. http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/40284-zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-arcticstorm-im-test-full-cover-wasserkuehlung-mit-potenzial.html?start=15

and http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/40215-evga-geforce-gtx-1080-classified-im-test.html

both cards are very pricey (over $100 more than cards it beats by a few fps) and not worth it to me but for someone else it might be worth that extra cash for out of the box performance.

Well i got tired of waiting and pulled the trigger today. Got the Asus strix 1080's cause they were the cheapest and cool the best and so far hit the same numbers (as expected) as any other 1080. Also purchased the instore warranty as i planned too anyway so i wouldn't have to deal with rma'ing something. This way also when volta comes out i can take these back under replacement plan and get $1300 of instore credit towards the new stuff! So for now these should be fun. They are also pretty lol. clocked at 2113mhz right now and not hitting over 63c on stock fan profile!

Yep. Now I just gotta decide between the two ugly non matching hb sli bridges. Only ones I know of are the evga one which doesn't match and says evga on it lol or the nvidia one which doesn't match the cards at all. So not sure what I'm going to do there.

olanof

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
hi guys, i'm gonna to buy a GTX 1070, i'm looking for the coolest one(air)

asus gtx 1070 O8G its a good choise?

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING/

best regards-

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

I was wondering where you were finding GTX 1080 Asus as the cheapest. We have been commenting on how they are the most expensive. Well done though.

Anyway it made me check Amazon UK and I was shocked to see custom cards at affordable prices. They were all listed at about £650 and out of stock for weeks/months. However now:

the EVGA SC 1080 is £413
the Gigabyte G1 1080 is now £409
the MSI 1080 is £443

The Asus is listed at £653 with Amazon themselves but out of stock until 20th September.

However the cheaper prices are with one external seller. All those cards above are listed with Amazon and other external sellers at about £625.

The cheap seller is:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main/ref=olp_merch_name_1?ie=UTF8&asin=B01GBX8X5S&isAmazonFulfilled=0&seller=A11TXDR35ASU9V

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
1060 3GB asus dual oc review https://www.computerbase.de/2016-09/geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-test/

may finally get enough reviews to compute some basic performance numbers. i tend to use a dozen reviews or so to compute it but may have to settle for less to get some numbers out there :)