Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 109 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Gigabyte has a 1070 ITX card. Announced it like months ago but isn't out yet it seems.
hsYZlYs.png

I've always had a problem with the conception of what "ITX" should be in terms of video card...

I've always thought that single slot and half height should be the aim, but I can settle with half height!

Cheers!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
here is a little tidbit for gtx 1070 owners. seems there is some issues with the memory on certain cards that have micron memory chips. some bios updates have been released or are coming soon. here is a quick write-up with some links to released bios updates and how to see if you may be effected by the issues.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/manufacturers-roll-out-firmware-updates-for-geforce-gtx-1070-due-to-memory-issue.html

issues include stuttering, flickering and artifacts when overclocking the memory and for some people even at stock speeds.

THIS ONLY EFFECTS GTX 1070 CARDS WITH MICRON MEMORY AND NO OTHERS!!!

Just to be clear, this problem starts when you want to OC the card?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

from what i have read, most of the problems have been when trying to oc the memory. however, some reported similar issues at stock memory speeds as well. the bios update is basically a voltage bump to the memory as if the problem is too little power to it. since the cards are so over-engineered as far as power delivery is concerned, this voltage bump should not have any negative effect on the card at all.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i noticed that pny has posted prices for their 1050 cards unlike everyone else. if anyone is interested, the 1050 is $119 and the 1050 ti is $149 and $159

hopefully everyone else stays around these prices except for MSI which i'm sure will have a $200 model for some reason or other. but posted a bunch of models that have product pages so far if anyone wants to see. most of them do not use any extra power but a few use a 6-pin.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
here is an interesting note about a new version of the rx 470 released in china only. what i linked here for is due to it including some leaked numbers for the colorful 1050 ti card. http://videocardz.com/63940/amd-quietly-launches-radeon-rx-470d-for-chinese-market

shows it running below an rx-470 and barely more than a 960. about what the card looked like it would perform at. sits pretty much in the middle of the 460 and 470 cards. bad news for the price of the 460 as it gets crushed by the 1050 ti for not much more money. wonder how the regular 1050 will stack against a 460 at the same price overall?

AMD-Radeon-RX-470D-vs-GTX-1050ti-2-900x508.png

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the ~$30 price increase for the 1050 ti does represent a good 25%+ price increase but overall it is minimal cost for lots more performance. only a super tight budget would get the nod for a 460 if these numbers are right. but the price difference does keep the classes separate with the 1050 2 gb directly priced with the 460.

remains to be seen how the 1050 2 gb will perform but unless it is cut down a lot it may beat out the 460 and force some price drops from amd.

The only caveat (I like this word and use it a lot lately, lol) would be that graph is only DX11, where we all know nVidia is better all the time, pretty much. Given the disparity with some games when using DX12 on low end, could we be seeing a more even ground for the RX460?

As usual, official benchies can't come soon enough!

Cheers!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
we've seen some rather large bumps for amd when dx 12 is in play so it's probably rather likely. we can easily see benchmarks for the 460/70 on dx12 so should be easy to dig em up and compare them to what we see on the graph. since we know that the nvidia card will show little to no improvement the number the 1050 got should stay relatively consistent. well enough for the current guess work anyway :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
should see around 25-35% or more improvement with a 1080 over a 980ti. depending on the resolution. only worth it for 1440p or higher. at 1080p the 980ti is still overkill with the 1080 being just a plain silly investment for 1080p so not really looked into those numbers much for the 1080.

if your games are not giving what you want, then consider the better card. if you're just looking to spend money, then wait it out for the next gen stuff from amd and nvidia early next year before dropping money for the sake of dropping money

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
amd has released a presentation comparing the 460/70 cards to the new 1050 and 1050 ti along with a price drop. the 470 is a rather compelling buy over the 1050 ti if these performance numbers are right.

https://www.techpowerup.com/227091/amd-wants-you-to-choose-radeon-rx-470-over-the-gtx-1050-ti-for-now

of course this assumes you can find cards from both makers at advertised prices. 460 of course saw a price drop as the reg 1050 should compete pretty directly to it. now it starts a bit cheaper than the 2 gb 1050. only a few more days and we can know for sure :)

D

Deleted member 217926

AMD press slide, not real numbers.... I'm sure that will turn out accurate. :p

LuckLess_7

Reputable
Sep 12, 2016
I recently learned that the Gtx 1070 cards have some problem with their memory. If the memory is made by Micron. Not without some irony, right, Samsung has to discontinue their phone and now they are the manufacturer of the good memory in a graphics card....

but anyway, what do I have to do if I want to update my VBIOS ? I don't fully understand the whole story yet. But it is confirmed that it's *just a BIOS thing and not actually hardware related ?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
most brands have a program that comes with the card that will download and install the new bios for you. pretty simple to do and i've never had an issue doing it this way.

from what i have read seems the issue is too low of voltage to the memory causing some display issues. bios update is simply a voltage tweak.

TRENDING THREADS