Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 107 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
and here's a 1070 ftw and a 1060 ftw+ comparison review from hardwareluxx http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/40375-evga-geforce-gtx-1070-und-1060-ftw-gaming-im-doppeltest.html

always nice to see side by side like this with lots of current cards in the charts. :)

and last thing i ran across this morning was this random tidbit about the gp107 being made by samsung and not TSMC due to capacity issues. http://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/nvidia_s_gp107_gpus_rumoured_to_be_made_on_samsung_s_14nm_process/1 just an interesting bit of rumor to start your day with

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
in case you missed it, here's another value add-on if you get an EVGA 1000 series card. they will give you a free powerlink to go with it. you pay shipping charge for it however.

info page here http://www.evga.com/articles/01058/evga-powerlink-promotion/

if you don't recall, this was the optional piece they have made to move the power connections from the side of the card to the back of the card. looks like this.

EVGA-Powerlink.jpg

Its a neat idea but adds a good bulge to that corner of the front of the card. I do think the power connectors need to be back on the back of the card where this powerlink puts them. Thats where they used to be and thats where they need to be again imo.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Says the guy with the Air 540...

I can recall some cases where those rear mounted power connectors required odd installation orders, or power cables cramming into I/O on hard drives. Or things like sliding drives through the front of the case. Admittedly not the newest case designs.

Nowadays it would be better, but I imagine there are plenty of OEM cases where this is still a problem. Though I am sure someone can track down an example where the power connectors prevented a side panel from going on as well.

Also air flow to consider if you have intake fans at the front they would run right into rear mounted power cables.

I've always wondered with all the sagging why they've never included a hard point to actually solve the problem. Or, instead of a back plate, an actual rigid spine.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Aside from the premium for assembly and shipping, they aren't bad. Just cheaper to do it yourself, but that is true of a lot of things. Their part selection contains enough to build decent systems. Just their true pre-built models tend to have poor power supplies and 'whatever they could find' ram.

Tommynew

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013
I tried the 1070 and this is what i have to say.

Its a totally overkill for 1080p gaming.

I could see it dealing with a maxed gaming at ultra and never went above 80% use (weird stuff xd).

Now im planing on getting a 1060 because as Math Geek says i think is the sweet spot for the 1080p and a two year upgrade or something.

By the way, the gi gaming cost about 20 € more than the galax/kfa2 exoc black, you think the g1 worth the extra 20€? :S

Tommynew

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

Thank you guy.
Actually ive open another topic with the answer, i dont want to make off topic posts.

But anyway xd, iim considering also the gigabyte windforce wich 15-20€ less than the g1.
Wondering if the g1 worths that extra!.

Thank you :D

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
windforce cards have not been reviewed that i have seen. but based on the trend of the other cards, i'd not expect any extra performance for the G1 over the windforce. none of the cards are standing out in game fps. the size is a bit different and the G1 is clocked only about 75 mhz more out of the box.

i'd go for the one that looks good to you. the G1 is bigger but has the same pcb as the windforce to account for the extra fan.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm really enjoying these pcb videos from Gamer's Nexus. here is one for the Gigabyte Extreme pcb. really helps to understand what all the stuff on the card does and means.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39xL4oi_-XA"][/video]

nothing interesting in the green land right now maybe until volta. though there are some talks about GP107 might give us the glimpse of what changes nvidia intend to do with volta. team red with their vega might be more interesting to see....if vega is not just another revision of GCN like Polaris.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
looks like the 1050 and 1050 ti will be released together at the end of the month. that's about all i see for rumors right now on nvidia front. i'm working on a new way to show performance data for the front page. working on a huge chart that will show all the current cards against each other in one place. will take a bit since i am really busy right now but hope to have it up sometime in the next week.

taking up enough time keeping up with all the new cards coming out and all the spec changes the product pages keep sneeking in. just noticed today that gigabyte has a ver. 2 of a few cards that seems to be no difference in the ver 1 cards. did i miss nvidia updating the gpu's a bit to effect a need to designate a card as ver 2??

but their new xtreme gaming waterblock looks very nice. love the orange and copper working together for the nice looking card

GIGABYTE-GTX-1080-XTREME-GAMING-WATERFORCE-WB-10-900x734.jpg

Make some charts in excel then take pictures.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's what i was thinking as well. something like each card down the side and across the top so it's easy to find the intersection and the performance gap.

will have to play with it some to see how it looks but that's roughly what i was thinking. one chart with all the cards on it. will stick to current cards though so it does not get MASSIVE!! :)