Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 106 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

in the first place it is not for regular consumer anyway. we know nvidia will going to release the proper follow up ever since they release the original titan back in 2013. after GTX780 i'd expect people that getting titan are fully aware that nvidia going to release proper geforce with the same performance after quite sometime. so if they still end up getting titan they should know what they get themselves into.

What do you guys really mean by "prosumer card"?

Doesn't nVidia nerf the FP16 and 32 to oblivion for non-Quadro cards? From what I remember, you're still better off with a low range Quadro than a Titan X for anything "professional".

Is there any data around how the Titan X performs for CAD workloads and other 3D "pro" stuff against entry level Quadros?

Cheers!

The titanX was designed for deep learning so yes the fp16 and 32 took a hit of course but the quadro now has hbm2 if im not mistaken. But For the cost the TitanX is usually a much better price/performance for people doing professional type work.

they did not limiting FP16 performance until pascal. and for FP32 i don't think nvidia can limit those at all. some company that selling compute solution product actually use nvidia titan x (maxwell) instead of using tesla/quadro according to anandtech (they were going after maxwell FP16 performance). because some company actually do this nvidia decided to limit their FP16 performance on anything that is not tesla with pascal. titan XP also have limited FP16 performance but they have very strong INT8 performance which also being nerf for most regular pascal.

It doesn't really matter what "they were built for". What matters is number crunching capabilities.

I could not find any references to the Pascal Quadros, since they haven't been released yet; only announced. Maxwell Quadros are expensive still, but the low end is not.

Here's an interesting bench I could find, although I have zero idea how representative it is, TBH:

http://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-quadro-m2000-review-affordable-pro-graphics?page=4
http://proclockers.com/reviews/video-cards/nvidia-geforce-titan-x-pascal-graphics-card-review/page/0/8

The Quadro M2000, which has a street price of ~$430 and the Titan Xp is ~$1200. The Quadro is 1FPS below the Titan X.

Plus, all Quadros come with ECC VRAM, don't they? If you're working with CUDA and sensitive to error data, getting a non-pro card is suicidal.

Given this though:

http://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-titan-x-review?page=3

I would imagine for modeling it's fine, but I don't know if for rendering it is.

In any case, I could not find more information to support or disprove the notion the Titan siblings are meant to be "prosumer cards". Is modding the Firmware/BIOS for them still a thing?

Cheers!

cinebench probably did not benefit much from the extra power of titan x hence even quadro M2000 able to close the gap. but look at the test here:

http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-quadro-m2000-workstation-graphics-card-review/2/

apart from cinebench the titan really did pull ahead showing the difference in raw performance between the two.

also not all Quadro have ECC RAM. only specific one have it.

Ah, that is an interesting set of tests. Thanks for them, renz.

So for rendering tasks it's a fine replacement for a "pro" card... What about pure CUDA? Are there any benchies for it?

http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-quadro-m2000-workstation-graphics-card-review/4/

Also, there's a guy in the comments giving the M2000 a lot of hate, haha.

Cheers!

From what I know, Teslas just execute a monolithic program already designed to respond to parameters from the instruments. Any input outside of them, is either ignored or provokes an error.

Making a car "learn", means it has to adapt to different inputs you are not expecting in your initial assumptions when developing the software. Are you familiar with the Turing concept?

Cheers!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i like the 1060/480 range myself for the sweet spot. sure this will be a good budget choice but the next step up looks a bit better to me for bang for the buck. at least this assumes it's about a 960 in performance. no telling what it will really do when released.

If people stay at 1080P.

I think the 1070 will be the best selling card for those who run 2k and 4k.

Well, for 1366x768 and even 1600x900, I'd say stuff from previous gens are good as well (totally agree), if you can find them at a discount. Power differences (and heat/noise) would be the only discriminators for people asking about them.

To put models, the 750ti, 950, 7870 (and it's re-branded siblings), RX460 and similar cards are still up to the task IMO.

Cheers!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm seeing some cards from a couple brands i have never heard of but i can't seem to find any webpages for them. anyone know these companies and possibly an address to their webpages? i'm not turning up anything from google right now.

EMTek, Maxsun, Manli and Leadtek are new to me. found Manli and Leadtek site so will update those products soon.

anyone know about the other 2 companies and what markets they sell to? a website for either? anything at all about them? i actually see lists of a dozen various models from each so wonder why i can't find a webpage for them.

emtek cards look a lot like palit cards. wonder if they are a rebrand of the cards for a different market??

mr91

Distinguished
In Asia and Europe they have different brands, for example in Japan ELSA is popular...

http://www.elsa-jp.co.jp/products/products-top/graphicsboard/geforce/ultra_high_end/geforce_gtx1080_8gb_fe/

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
thanks for the link, obviously never seen that brand either.

i know there are brands from all over the world but for some reason i can't find those 2 brands web pages. EMTek and Maxsun seem to have a lot of models but no web page. i see ads on asian ebay type sites but no links to a manufacturer webpage that i can see. i assume they are also asian market brands but that's all i can find.

at first i was gonna just ignore them but the ocd part of me will get bored and include them i the massive list on page 1 when i get the time to go through the product pages. i'm not a completionist in many things but for some reason i getting antsy knowing these brands are out there and not included in the list :)

mr91

Distinguished

Good luck finding the brands. I will let know if I see them.