Nvidia GeForce GTX 1000 Series (Pascal) MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 112 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manleysteele

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
The only problem with voice recognition is that almost everyone can type faster then they can speak the same words. It's an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem. It has been on sale for years. No one wants it.

manleysteele

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015

I don't type anything on my phone. May have to try that.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
also handy when driving or needing to keep an eye on something. can simply talk outload to type. can even add punctuation b simply saying "period" "exclamation point" and so on.

wonderful feature to me. course i tend to send longer texts to friends this way since i not typing and can speak a small book if i wanna :D

detroitwillfall

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

ok what did i miss lol been gone for 2 months

TehPenguin

Honorable
May 12, 2016
I've also been away for a while and the many pages are too much for me to handle so Ill just ask a quick question: any news on the 1080ti? AMD competitors? What's buzzing in the GPU world? Anything of significance has been announced yet?

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

I'm aware that Moore's law is not a physical law.

When Intel was founded the number of transistors was doubling every year for a long time, then in the late 80's all the way to the early 2000's it went to around every 18 months, then it went to around every 2 years to where we are today. Sandy Bridge was released in 2011 with a 32nm process, 2013 saw Haswell at 22nm, 2014 saw Broadwell with 14nm. Then we have to take in to account the development of FinFet, integrated graphics and other technologies as well. Moores Law has definitely slowed down, but it hasn't stopped. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say progress hasn't stopped. And I agree, software still has a lot of catching up to do relative to hardware.

One thing that is still true when it comes to microprocessors is that about every 18 months the cost to produce any given chip is effectively cut in half. So Skylake was introduced in August of 2015. So by Q2 2017 the cost for Intel to produce say an i7 6700k will be around half of what it was when it was first released.

tarmiricmi

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2015

Sure, progress hasn't stopped but stalled :D As of Intel internal costs, why should consumers care about that, when retail prices are not cut in half ;)

Big cases are not over and sli does not suck. That's your opinion. I've used sli for along time now and while there is a game here or there that doesn't support MOST AAA titles do support sli and it gets better as the game is optimized. Bf1, bf4 are both examples. AAA games that supported sli at launch and only gets better with optimizations. Some games get sli support a little later and yes some less developed games dont get it at all. Sli is a choice to the consumer based on the games they will be playing and at what res. A 1080 gtx video card is NOT a 4k card. It struggles to stay close to 60 fps in most games at 4k. Also if you play at 1440p or 1080p on a 144hz monitor that extra horse power is very much so needed that the 1080 gtx offers. So saying its a waste at 1080p or 1440p is a false uneducated statement. I love big towers myself. My pc is a show piece in my house. If its huge with pretty lights and water cooling components or big air coolers it just looks cool. Thats why i own both a HAFX case which i love and also a corsair air 540 case. Yes people like mini itx builds but there is still the MAJORITY of pc builders who like doing big builds with flashy components.

mr91

Distinguished

The Air 540 is a good case with excellent airflow & a good choice today especially if non reference video cards are being used. If you have the space a bigger case is still a viable option.

With 2 non reference 1080's a case with good airflow is a must...

manleysteele

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
I'm a big case guy, too. There are 3 or 4 areas I want space. The first is in front of the motherboard. I want at least 3 inches there and more is better. The second is the back side of the case. I want at least two inches there. I like a few inches below the motherboard. another 4 inch space is not too much. The last space I like a lot of room is the drive bays. I want as many 5 1/4 in front access bays as the case will hold. Don't preformat bays as 3 1/2 or 2 1/2. Give me the big bays and I'll make the necessary adjustments.

D

Deleted member 217926

EVGA. :(

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbl0fLY06U"][/video]

Come on EVGA, this is the kind of crap that ruins reputations.

mr91

Distinguished

Mini Itx solutions are also good if built properly...

Bigger case + more flexibility & reduces the chances of screwing up a build.

D

Deleted member 217926

I shall now use my position as a moderator to slightly derail this thread. :D

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3q8Od5qJio"][/video]

No one else do this. Because I said so. And stuff. :p

Oki doki, back to the main thread: The VRAM Burned, its caused by something? or just it burns randomly?. This will be a huge bad news for EVGA community. First the ugly (for some users, for me i really like it) aftermarket cooler, and now this.

D

Deleted member 217926

I've used EVGA cards since the 6600 GT. This is the first epic fail I've seen from them.

NVidia GeForce Note 7, please don't ban me.

94aa9761d4a11af90662eea749944993b799a3115b6a452ce49cf12f170051f3.gif

Here is a GamerNexus report: http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2661-evga-mosfet-failure-possible-from-thermal-runaway-scenario

mr91

Distinguished

I see you made some significant upgrades - Do the 2x 1080's in SLI provide enough juice to get you 100 fps @ 3440 * 1440?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, every company has this happen from time to time. Metal debris, bit of solder, human goo.

Although:
The PCIe connectors aren't plugged in at the time of failure.
Touching the CPU cooler? (that looks right where that VRM would sit under backplate, might have physically been cracked by the pressure)

mr91

Distinguished

You own a EVGA 1080 Did you have any problems?